General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 08:56 AM
thehuskybear
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI

Im gonna be attending MMI (Motorcycle Mechanics Institute) at the Pheonix campus in sept of 2008.... Im curious to see if anyone here has attend or plans to attend? Any gratuates? Just want to get some opinions on the school.

Thanks

Sam

Old 11-15-2007, 09:29 AM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts
Default RE: MMI

graduated from uti, the parent school for mmi. Good classes, teachers are good know their ****. Some labs can get boring, but the hands on WILL come back to you in the field. They are pretty strict about attendance though, so make sure you get your butt there ontime. Tests are setup ASE style. Uniform everyday, shirt tucked in, id at all times.

I liked it and I think you will too. But just remember, Phoenix campus is the national headquarters for the schools, so they do NOT mess around.

Good luck!

Old 11-15-2007, 08:22 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: thehuskybear

Im gonna be attending MMI (Motorcycle Mechanics Institute) at the Pheonix campus in sept of 2008.... Im curious to see if anyone here has attend or plans to attend? Any gratuates? Just want to get some opinions on the school.

Thanks

Sam
How will you pay for your MMI education? Student loan?

Old 11-15-2007, 08:28 PM
99_percenter
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: badwhine

Thanks

Sam
How will you pay for your MMI education? Student loan?
I'm curious of the cost of the course/course's. Anyonne care to share what ther having to shell out?

99%r

Old 11-15-2007, 08:33 PM
thehuskybear
Intermediate

My tuition is going to be around $21k... thats taking the harley/motorcycle basic course, along with the late model and early model courses.... I have some money I invested, enough to pay it outright, but I think I will do a student loan because I hear it helps build credit... which I need!! I wont be working out the financial side of things until Jan, but I know they have several different options... they provide loans, you can get your own loan, and I know they have government grants and scholarships.... I dont really know the details yet

Old 11-15-2007, 09:29 PM
99_percenter
Road Warrior

My tuition is going to be around $21k... thats taking the harley/motorcycle basic course, along with the late model and early model courses.... I have some money I invested, enough to pay it outright, but I think I will do a student loan because I hear it helps build credit... which I need!! I wont be working out the financial side of things until Jan, but I know they have several different options... they provide loans, you can get your own loan, and I know they have government grants and scholarships.... I dont really know the details yet
Thanks for the info, and good luck. It sounds like something to get into with the soaring price of fuel.

YES student loans will surely build up yer credit.. but dont be late / delinquent ... believe me it'll sure screw up any credit you've established and busted A$$ to scratch together.

99%r

Old 11-15-2007, 09:42 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

I attended a motorcycle mechanics school called American Motorcycle School back in 1980. It was located in Santa Fe Springs, Ca. The course was 6 months....three months theory and three shop. Eight hours a day, 5 days a week.I graduated second in my class of 26 students....just missed out on the "gold wrench" by a few grade points. Back then the school did not have individualized courses for each make of bike...there was no Jet Ski's or PWC yet....and ATV were in their infantcy....I think Honda had a 50cc model with three wheels for the 1981MY. Anyhow....I was only 18 years old and my brain was still highly receptive to instruction.....so I can say I learned quite a bit......and not all of it came from the school!
Here is the kicker.....the entire tuition was $3100. I didn't have to take a loan or anything because I just gained access to quite a bit of money that was awarded to me due to a accident I had on a CR125.....years before. So I did buy a brand new 1981 CB750F and have it shipped out there brand new and still in the original crate. It was assembled and prepped by the school, and ready for me when I got there. There was no problem with warranty because I had been working part time for the dealer I bought it from, and was going directly to work in their SD as soon as I got back. Lets just say I had a load of fun.....but I did get home sick after 6 months and could not wait to get back to NYC.....I road the 750 back.....but thats another story for another day.

PS: good luck, and if I could give you one tip.....take CLEAR and complete notes, and save them for as long as you can. Write everything down, because they will be covering plenty of ground andit will be very hard for you to totally absorb it all on the spot.I still have mine almost 28 years later!

Old 11-17-2007, 05:03 PM
thehuskybear
Intermediate

Thanks for the tips guys

Old 04-20-2008, 02:15 AM
Tbones
Intermediate

HuskyBear - I am a 85 grad of MMI. I attended in Pheonix from 84 to 85. 9 months with the first 6 months that was called the career technician certification and the final 3 months was for the Harley cerification. As Biz44 says, take allot of notes! I recorded several of my Harley classes and still have a few of the tapes laying around. I also have all of my notes. Total cost for me back then was $5k. I went using my GI bill so the school didn't cost me anything plus I got paid by the VA for attending so I lucked out there.

You will get a great foundation to start you career but you will learn a whole bunch more when you get out into the world and begin wrenching. Back then, you had to graduate in the top 10% of the career class to get into the Harley class... I had a great time down there, met allot of really good folks... Only had one instructor I didn't like, he taught the theory class... The rest were great and taught me allot of knowledge...

Good luck, study hard and take the classes serious... Use your notes to get you going when you go to work for a shop and then the real learning will begin... If your lucky, a wise old technician will take you under his wing and show you the real world of wrenching...

[IMG]local://upfiles/57708/E101D70C58DC48418CFF4940F707DCC0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-20-2008, 02:30 AM
Vinnie85FXWG
Tourer

Lucky you bear. I planed on going same time as you to Phoenix, but decided to take the year off. I've heard things from people that have graduated there who got hired right up and some that moved on to other things because there was no work.

Quick Reply: MMI