General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lane splitting accident

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 09:13 PM
Brackneyc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Lane splitting accident

ORIGINAL: jbnl163

ORIGINAL: Brackneyc

I have never supported the idea of lane splitting. Seems like one more way to end up like the guy in the picture.
Lane splitting, when done safely, may actually help a rider avoid getting rear ended, which is fairly common. IMHO

I don't doubt that it can, and is done safely in most cases. I don't agree that it is a safety (providing safety for bikers) issue as much as it is a convenience issue. I've had lanes split between myself and other cars, and I am often startled by the bike doing the splitting (usually loud) and I see it as a nuisance. Fie for Cali I guess, but I'm glad it isn't legal here. Too many jackasses that can't navigate a full lane, let alone going in-between cars.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:22 PM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: pjweber

Well, at least the article said that the rider SPED through lanes, well when youspeed through stoppedtrafficyou will crash. It's unfortunate for his family but I guess I have no feelings for him; you do stupid stuff you pay the price.

I have split lanes for many miles here is So Cal and I have seen many bikers down splitting lanes, one common thing with all of them; they were ALL sport bikes. Have I had close calls, heck yea but I was moving at a speed that I could control.
EGGS ACT LY!

Old 11-14-2007, 09:41 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,915 Likes on 816 Posts

This may sound cold, but if the story is accurate, I have no sympathy for the rider. If you do stupid and reckless things and die because of it, there's no one to blame but yourself. I do feel bad for his friends and family, though.

This guy won himself a Darwin Award. I'm just glad he didn't take anyone else with him.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]
[align=left] [/align]

Old 11-14-2007, 11:48 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree lane splitting is safe when done correctly. Getting rear ended can happen easily when traffic first comes to a halt, but if the bike can go between stopped cars it is quite safe (well except for the doofus that opens their door to spit on the ground or empty their ashtray). When I was commuting down the good ol' 91 freeway between Corona and Orange, I only split lanes when traffic was not moving at all or maybe at 10-15mph. Above that, there wasn't much time saved by splitting and the bike is moving fast enough to keep it cool. Much less tensing of the neck.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:43 AM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: goodbirds

I agree lane splitting is safe when done correctly. Getting rear ended can happen easily when traffic first comes to a halt, but if the bike can go between stopped cars it is quite safe (well except for the doofus that opens their door to spit on the ground or empty their ashtray). When I was commuting down the good ol' 91 freeway between Corona and Orange, I only split lanes when traffic was not moving at all or maybe at 10-15mph. Above that, there wasn't much time saved by splitting and the bike is moving fast enough to keep it cool. Much less tensing of the neck.
Yep.....same here.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:18 AM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

F the 91 freeway! Nothing but crappy drivers on that road. split lanes for a half mile or so. Not bad...definitely a new experience. I usually try to stay in the carpool lanes if Im trying to get somewhere on the interstates.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:32 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

You will always have these kinds of accidents.Think about the inexperience on the roads today.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:47 AM
paulca
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lane splitting (we call it filtering) is legal here, at appropriate speeds. That is 10 -20mph above the speed ofslow or stationary traffic. On the Met (London) Police "Bike Safe" days (rider evaluation), filtering is actually part of the curriculum.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:05 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

I split lanes here in No. Ca. on a daily basis when I commute on my bike.I have not seen any accidents involving lane splitters.What I do see is sportbike riders splitting lanes trvelingmuch faster faster than I do.
Yesterday I hada sportbike rider following me on a two lane roaduntil I had to come to a stop with about 15 cars in front of me waiting to make a left turn onto Hwy 156.The sprtbike rider decided to to pass everyone in the left lane.When he got up to the stop sign guess what?,there was a Hwy. Patrol car in line!On came the red lights and siren.The rider kept going.Never did seem him pulled over.I think he tried to out run the cop!

Old 11-15-2007, 07:22 AM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think there are two factors at work here, not just the speed of the rider. Sure he was going way too fast for the conditions, which in itself is against the law and warrants a reckless driving charge, but he was also illegaly splitting lanes. VA does not allow lane splitting and therefore the drivers in VA don't expect to see a motorcycle driving between them and the car in the next lane. CA drivers on the other hand see it all the time on the freeways and therefore expect it at least a little.

I'd be willing to bet that he was cruising along and someone drifted in their lane to get a view of what was holding them up closing the gap between him and the car in the next lane...Instant accident.

Sorry to rant, but motorcyclists that don't obey even the basic rules of traffic really annoy me. If you want to be equal to the other vehicles on the road, obey the same laws.

I'm sorry, I have not sympathy for this guy, but I do have empathy for his family. He rode beyond the conditions of his environment and broke laws at the same time. Just because we are more maneuverable doesn't mean we can flaunt the laws of traffic flow.

Quick Reply: Lane splitting accident