General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ipod on the bike ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 06:35 PM
kyguy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ipod on the bike ???

I really like listening to music, and, I’ve been wondering about getting a Ipod and using it while riding my Harley. Has any one done this, is it distracting or a major safety hazard?

[IMG]local://upfiles/5552/7511BC97041843339EA79441CAB70001.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-22-2005, 06:51 PM
ThudMeister
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ipod on the bike ???

I have done it with my little ipod around my neck. I just turned it on and let it play in random order with the ear buds. I was pissed off and went for a ride in the country side. It really worked for me. I don't think I would try it on the freeway.

Old 12-22-2005, 06:55 PM
deluxehog
Advanced

Thudmeister-

That explains the "gift" I had last year in my fireplace! I was really confused. Guess I was bad afterall. I guess this year I can expect an even bigger gift of the same!!

Seriously-Awesome graphic!

-Bob

Old 12-22-2005, 06:58 PM
RedLine
Advanced

I have an IPod Mini that I keep in my inside jacket pocket. Since you are not inside a car with the ear buds in you can still hear traffic and such. I have never had any issues wearing mine. It makes the ride even better when you can jam to your tunes.

Old 12-22-2005, 08:23 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 103 Likes on 65 Posts

I've got a Dell MP-3 player, sort of the same thing. First, if your unit has a hard drive (not a nano or micro) don't mount it to your bike. The vibration will kill the hard drive. Dell warrranted mine 3 times before I learned. Carry it in a pocket and it will work great. I have a remote control I use to change volume and tracks. The i-pod has a great wireless one. The ear buds you get with it leave something to be disired. I guess if you have a full faced helmet, or your 'cap' has ear flaps they work ok. I bought a pair of Koss noise cancelling ear plugs, about $20 bucks. They cut the wind noise way down, but you can still hear horns and sirens.

Some other hints...

If you don't have a windshild (like me) Don't sing the base line to any 50's doo-wap. You will eat a ton of bugs.
Don't listen to bluegrass music. It makes me drive way too fast, and you look silly tapping you foot on the pegs
Surf music gets me to head banging. See above about looking silly

Remember, YOU are the only one that can hear the music. When you are singing along at a stop light, don't wonder why all those people are looking at you. With the Koss ear plugs, you can hear them laughing.

Enjoy the music!

Old 12-22-2005, 09:22 PM
hawker
Advanced

I have an MP3 Player mounted on the bars, and I installed headphones inside my full face helmet, it sounds great.

Old 12-22-2005, 10:07 PM
redscout
Road Captain

I feel bad... I have an '03 EGC (so, factory radio), and it has this neat little "aux" plug that lets me plug in a cheap (well, relatively) MP3 player that lets me download my own playlists and has a little button on the side (easily reached with gloves) that lets me switch between songs and it plays over the enhanced sound system (probably can do the ESS without paying the MOCO so much bucks, so might want to check on that, but it works well if you got the bucks). It's cool. And no headphones (not sure I think headphones are a great idea, no matter the laws).

Rockin' out to NO RAP! NO CRAP! Gotta love it...

Easy answer... get a FLHTC or FLHTCU... (the ESS includes the rear speakers if ya got the FLHTC). Simple, huh? (ok, beer night, so I'm not as coherent as I'd like..)

Old 12-22-2005, 11:59 PM
harleyxlc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use a hard drive mp3 player in my jacket. I wear a fullface, so it connects to a Chatterbox.

Old 12-23-2005, 12:30 AM
scooterbooter
Tourer

I have an iPod nano, I got some 'etymotic' style koss earphones from ebay, for around $18. They also come with the standard memory foam covers, but the etymotic style cover is way more comfy and is a little more efficient at blocking out other noises.
Having said that, I find you can hear more than if you were inside a car listening to the radio. You can still hear sirens, although you don't hear cars as well.
I think the nano works very well. I wear it either cliped to the base of my rignt sleeve, or in a small sleeve pocket one of my jackets has. With the click wheel, I can very easily reach it to tap it to put in on pause if I need to be able to hear my surroundings better, or to skip sections if I'm listening to an audiobook.

Old 12-24-2005, 10:27 AM
TimC
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a ARCHOS MP3 player, similar to the Ipod. I also got a boosteroo booster amplifier which I attach to the player with velcro, and then velcro the whole thing to the tank. I also have noise cancelling head phones, which I prefer over ear buds, but they are only good with a 1/2 helmet, and must be the kind with the behind the neck band.

I find it keeps me calm on the bike, especially when in heavy traffic to and from work, other wise the crazys on the road would have me also being too aggressive. I just put on some Grateful Dead, sit back and cruise.

Get the Boosteroo Amplifier it is well worth it.

Quick Reply: Ipod on the bike ???