General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

warranty/extended warranty questions--

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 05:30 PM
deluxehog
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warranty/extended warranty questions--

Hi all,

I have ordered an '06 Deluxe, as some of you already know. Being overseas currently and unable to call the dealership, I have a couple of questions regarding the warranty and extended warranty:

1) Is the extended warranty worth $1000 for the piece of mind (meaning does it "really" cover the the bike and its components for the 5 years)?

2) How does adding pipes/performance upgrades (V&H pipes/PCIII) YOURSELF affect the warranty? Does doing these upgrades yourself void any part of the initial warranty or extended warranty?

Thanks for the help,
Bob

Old 12-22-2005, 05:45 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: warranty/extended warranty questions--

I dont believe in extended warranties, but thats me.

The other question...

Replacing pipes will void only the part of the warranty that relates to the pipes.
The PCIII, if tuned wrong and they can prove it caused damage will void a lot of things (if they can prove it)

Problem here is the grey area. Dealer can say it caused damage and try to void your warranty. You have to take them to court worst case to prove it didn't.

If you want to make these changes, first find a dealer that is into performance and is OK with upgrades. Then use them. You will be much happier come repair time.

Same story with the DIY. If the dealer is OK, you are fine. If they aren't, then you may have to get a lawyer to prove you didnt cause the damage.

Remember that upping power affects everything in the drivetrain, and some dealers may not honor the warranty on anything that breaks downstream.

Lots of people have upgraded their motors significantly without upgrading the rest of the drivetrain and have not experienced reliability issues, so it comes down to what you are comfortable with.

Old 12-22-2005, 05:55 PM
MikeO
Advanced

You can look at my very recent poll here on the subject.
https://www.hdforums.com/m_198010/tm.htm

I did a search on this topic this last week and found hundreds of posts on the subject. It seems as if most people say "No" you don't need it unless you put on thousands of miles a year, you just don't want to do any maintenance yourself, or your rich.
You decide. I've decided not to purchase it myself...

Mike

Old 12-24-2005, 03:26 PM
tfdeputydawg
Intermediate

1. Extended Warranty:
You're betting you'll have a failure, the MoCo is betting you don't!
Your call, if you need it and don't have it, lots of $$$$$'s
If you don't need it and have it. It cost you $1000!

2. I have been posting the answer to warranty/mods on several posts. I did a lot of research on this. There was also an indepth article in American Iron some time ago on this.
The simplest answer I can give you is to read the warranty diclaimer in the SE catalog and call MoCo customer service.

If you make ANY MODS USING NON-HD/SE PARTS OR EVEN HD/SE PARTSnot listed as street legal in the MoCo/SE catalog and these mods ARE NOT DONE AT AN AUTHORIZED HD DEALERSHIP BY A FACTORY TRAINED TECHyou will indeed void your warranty.

There are those that cite an obscure consumer protection law that argues against the above statement. However, I can guarantee you will lose on this while you're wasting money on an attn. and time riding while your bike sits.

Even just changing the mufflers will cause your already lean fuel mix to be even leaner which can and will harm the motor over time.

Old 12-24-2005, 03:53 PM
nmfxstc
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two things:

1. You DON'T have to buy the full extended warranty! You can buy an additional year, two, three, or four years instead (and those can be renewed)

2. HD will push extended warranty purchase to get a better finance rate (usually 4.9%) through D Credit (agree on that and then see #1 above!)

Old 12-24-2005, 04:13 PM
Mrkicks
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Although I'm not a big fan of the extended warranty, there is one situation it pays for itself:

Two bikes for sale everything thing about them is identical, mileage, condition, mods.

One bike is $15000.00 and has no warranty

Bike two is $16500.00 but has 2 years left on a 5 year warranty

Which would you buy?

Kicks

Old 12-27-2005, 08:11 AM
Motosurf
Cruiser

I would buy the 15000 dollar bike if it checked out after paying 120 dollars to a mechanic to go go over it with a fine toothed comb and it checked out OK.

06 FXDBI

Old 12-27-2005, 01:23 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

$1500 buys a lot of repairs.

Don't they require approval to change over the warranty, where hd inspects the bike?
If the previous owner didn't document the maintenance properly or added power adders, they can refuse to cover sections of the bike.

By buying the warranty, you are betting that it will cost you more than $1500 in repairs over the period 2-5 years from purchase. Not a good bet, I'd say.