General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit by Motorist giving false Insurance Info

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 07:09 PM
BentFork Bandit
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hit by Motorist giving false Insurance Info

I left my house last Saturday with the intentions of a short leisure ride on my 03 Heritage Softail Classic. It was perfectly nice weather for an early fall ride. I went less than a quarter of a mile pulling up to a 4-way STOP, had to wait my turn and pulled out when a woman run the stop sign and hit me in the right side. It slammed meto the road on my left side, busting my bike up pretty good along with me (thankfully not breaking anything). There were several witnesses that immediately ran out clearly stating that it was her fault. This was after she got out questioning me stating “DID YOU NOT SEE ME!!!” I couldn’t believe it. An Alabama State Trooper arrived, took the report, and “verified” insurance information. It is a law to have, at least, liability insurance in the state of Alabama.

Well, come to find out, after attempting to find out if she had opened up a claim, the insurance information she gave was for a policy that had been canceled back in February. I at that point, giving her the benefit of the doubt, contacted her and was given another policy # which that too had been canceled.

What the HELL man…

Here I have my bike busted up, I’m busted up, and this woman from the Middle East that owns a convenience store (not joking…go figure) giving false insurance information to me and to a State Trooper. Too bad the store is probably in someone else’s name…I’m sure.

Can she freaken get away with this???? Is there nothing that I can do? I have a $1000 deductible with my insurance provider and a $250 co-pay at the ER with $15 worth of prescriptions. I also have to go to a orthopedic to have an MRI done on my hip if the “popping” continues.

I’m so pissed I can’t see straight…

Any thoughts…

Old 11-13-2007, 07:13 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Default RE: Hit by Motorist giving faults Insurance Info

This is why people have uninsured/underinsured coverage, right? Do you have that? If so, you're insurance company should be able to help. You could then take her to small claims court for the deductible. I think so, anyway...

Chris

Old 11-13-2007, 07:15 PM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

She can be arrested if she doesn't have proper insurance. Let your insurance company mediate it because they know how to turn up the heat.

Also, get a bunch of your Buddy's and go to the store. Just shop and don't cause any trouble......she might be more cooperative after that!

Old 11-13-2007, 07:16 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Hopefully you have uninsured/under-insured motorist coverage on your policy. You will still be out the deductible, but you can then sue her for the money you are out of pocket, etc.

Best of luck to ya, and glad you weren't seriously injured.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:19 PM
hell_on_wheels
Intermediate

you can take her to court for at least the deductible. i would also try to contact the police about her giving a false insurance policy. her vehicle should at least be impounded. glad to hear you are ok

Old 11-13-2007, 07:25 PM
buckeye
Intermediate

When I had my accident in GA in March 06, the driver at fault insurance had went lapse the day before for non payment. We did not know this for nearly 12 business days. My unisured, underinsured picked up. I lost my deductible, but the insurance company stated if I wanted, they would go after him for the deductible as well as the rest of medical, loss on the bike, and all the other stuff. I did get a lawyer as like any other insurance company, they were semi tough to deal with on straight answers. (Law prohibits them to release certain personal info to me, but an attorney can get it? Go figure) anyways, my insurance and I settled, they are after the guy at fault. I have recieved a total in the past year of $130.00 or my deductible back, but I figure that is more then if I would have spent the $$ to go after him. They did it for free..

He was also reported to the State of GA and they went after his license to be revoked. And attached. What I did learn,, I upped my coverages as it didn't cost much more for the better coverage.. Might not never happen again,, but I don't want to take that chance.
Good luck..
Buck-I

Old 11-13-2007, 07:34 PM
Stogie
Cruiser

Where in ALabama are you?
I'm in Montgomery.
You best bet is to let your insurance co handle it.
If your ins fixes/replaces your bike they'll go after her and their attorney will try to collect your portion too.
Good Luck and get well.
Stogie

Old 11-13-2007, 07:44 PM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Go through your ins. Was hit 2 yrs the driver took off on foot. The LEO went throught the vehicle and found a current registration and ins card (but the ins was cancled due to non payment) the DA stated that they have a LOT of issues with people getting the covereage just to register the vehicles with the DMV.
As far as going to the store I would advice against it. She might file a complaint. But you could have theTrooper go in andquestion her. You can get an asset search to checkactual worth.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:12 PM
fastbagger
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't do anything this is America where3rdworldimmigrants rule.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:19 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fastbagger is probably right. Lowlifes like that generally walk away scott free. At the most, she'll get a ticket and a small fine for not having valid insurance, and maybe for making a false statement. As fo suing her for the money out of your pocket, good luck.

Quick Reply: Hit by Motorist giving false Insurance Info