General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Outdoor Storage

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 06:59 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Outdoor Storage

If no friends nearby, find someone with a garage that would like $20 a month in extra change.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:24 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All great suggestions....I think finding someplace that stores bikes for a fee is the best bet. If you want to keep it close (and have a spot that they will allow a shed)so you canwork on it in the winter, try the link below. The best shed I've come across, easy to put together, no moisture buildup, you can insulate the pockets and it's safe to run power to it.

http://www.royaloutdoor.com/premier-buildings.html

Old 11-14-2007, 06:28 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

A friend stored his bike under a deck,his solution was corragated fiberglass roofpanels under floor of deck,and plywood on north side to protect against wind blowing snow and the like.Try not to look at too much it is easier to bear.It suffered through a winter once with a muscle car out back under a car cover here in Maine.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:36 AM
Hogwallop
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to keep my bike under a heavy cover for the winter when I lived in Baltimore. Parkedon asphalt rather than concrete with no issues. Maybe you can find a few others and share a mini storage for the winter. Advertise on Craigs List for free and if you find 5 or morepeople with the same need, rent a storage big enough for the bikes. Maybereally affordable that way too. That would be far better than waking up one morning with a foot of snow covering your baby. I used to hate that part.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:18 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: whaap

Can you pay your local dealer to store it during the winter? Do you have a friend, neighbor or relative with a garage you can rent/borrow?
I think this is your best answer. You could also look into one of those storage places and rent by the month; some of these newer places have smaller bike-sized closets. You'd have "anytime" access without having to ask someone if you could come over to visit your bike. I would not keep it outside all winter long in the Baltimore area unless I had no other choice.

Like others have said, wherever it ends up,I would roll the bike onto some plywood too.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:00 AM
firefighter3666
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used a fold up cover from a company called CycleShell. www.cycleshell.com

The cover holds up to snow, freezing rain,and wind.I did make a point of brushing it off and not allowing the snow to sit on the cover. The bottom edge seals with velcro to keep the vermin frombuilding a nest on top of your engine (learned that one the hardway). Do yourself a favor and take a trip over to a marine supply store andpick up a dessicant based dehimidifier. I use theseyear-round, it helps with that Maryland humidity and limits the rust issue with the bike. Also spend the couple of extra bucks for a trickle charger that is meant for outdoor use.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:00 PM
prorockm
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only desiccant based dehumidifiers I could find are a few thousand bucks, am I looking in the wrong place?

Old 11-18-2007, 12:51 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Can you park a trailer somewhere on the property? You could always buy a used enclosed trailer to keep it in.
Tom

Old 01-07-2008, 09:27 PM
prorockm
Novice

Update: Moved some stuff and put it in the shed, just need a ramp or some sorts now, the concrete slab and wood blocks rigging job took 20 minutes to set up to get the thing in there. Thinking maybe frame out a ramp and pour some concrete, make it permanent.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:34 PM
capnron
6th Gear

I have the Cycle Shell. Works great, keeps the bike off the ground, and you can put it away hot.
I have an electric boat dehumidifier that is about 90 watts to keep it from condensation.
I am in a townhouse and this lets me ride in the winter when the weather isn't too bad.

Quick Reply: Outdoor Storage