General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When Is the End of Riding Season?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 05:07 AM
tmoreau
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: When Is the End of Riding Season?

ORIGINAL: rizzo

JB, great pic, (even if it was shopped). I did get caught in snow like that once. The old Honda spun out from under me about 5 times in 2 miles. Looking back at it I should have walked the 2 miles to work.

I see the spoutin' off about riding all winter stopped. I don't think they have a clue about winter driving in the north.
Well, some folks up here in the Great White North don't have a clue about winter driving. I'm talkin' cars here. They're easy to detect. Just wait for the first snow. They think they're still driving in summer. They have no idea that you have to brake sooner and go easy on the throttle. Steering is totally forgotten. These are folks you just don't want to meet.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:45 AM
Sanford
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't have a riding season here. Get to ride all year, although it does have it's draw backs like no mountains (for the great views and twisted mountain roads), little to no foliage change (I think I miss that the most), and snowbird (the northerers that can't stand the cold). The snowbirds do tend to fill up the road ways but they do help the local economy so for that get special concideration.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:08 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

i agree with him. you dont park it any longer than you got to.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:17 AM
Asmodeus
Tourer

Where I am in Maryland just doesn't get that brutal weather more than a week or two a year... Our average snowfall is less than 10" a year... We usually get one good ice/snow storm and that's it... I don't care about the cold, but slick roads and two wheels suck... Some years I have to park it while the ice melts, but that's it.... If I don't get to ride for a few days I kinda turn into an azzhole...

Old 11-13-2007, 07:29 AM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

When I'd have to ride in weather like that most of the time it wasn't to bad the only problems I would have is when Id have to start, stop, make a corner or make any kind of adjustment to my speed while going in a strait line.

JB, great pic, (even if it was shopped). I did get caught in snow like that once. The old Honda spun out from under me about 5 times in 2 miles. Looking back at it I should have walked the 2 miles to work.

I see the spoutin' off about riding all winter stopped. I don't think they have a clue about winter driving in the north.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:32 AM
balley
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never put it up for the winter, been cold here lately, suppose to hit 70 degrees today, time to get in some good riding.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:36 AM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I know what you mean it seems like at lest half the people completely forget over the summer how to drive in the snow until half the winter is over and some never do catch on . It seems like a lot of people think that if they go out and buy a 4X4 then no matter how slick it is they can drive like its sunny and 70 deg.
ORIGINAL: tmoreau

Well, some folks up here in the Great White North don't have a clue about winter driving. I'm talkin' cars here. They're easy to detect. Just wait for the first snow. They think they're still driving in summer. They have no idea that you have to brake sooner and go easy on the throttle. Steering is totally forgotten. These are folks you just don't want to meet.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:57 AM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts

Hey Tom, I still rode my bike to work, from Ajax to Bradford on Monday. Getting cold, but not time yet to put her away. Last year I picked up Christmas gifts on the 24th of Dec on the bike, so IMO you are putting her away too early.

Today is supposed to be over 55, so I'll be out this aft. I suggest you do the same. If you see a black and red bagger at the Hard Rock on Yonge Street tonight, come on in and I'll buy you a beer.

Joe

Old 11-13-2007, 08:13 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts

Here in the Chicago area, the Toys for Tots parade marks the end of the season for many. It's held the first Sunday in December. Temps are usually in the30's. Many bikers ride sleds during the winter months. For those in the sun belt, sleds are snowmobiles.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:38 AM
Rides2007Harley
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Salt will eat up chrome in a hurry and is even worse onwheels. Once the salt trucks put it down the covers go on the bikes until Spring or a couple of good rains.

Quick Reply: When Is the End of Riding Season?