General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When Is the End of Riding Season?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 10:33 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 544 Posts
Default RE: When Is the End of Riding Season?

I'd have to say never, although I live in snow country, they dont use salt in Cali. They do however lay cinder all over the road ice, which is kinda like driving on marbles. So I have to wait a couple of days for the roads to dry and the cinder to get thrown to the side.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:41 PM
UH60Hwkdrvr
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts

I ride whenever I can. However, having said that, I must admit that I am a fair weather rider. No rain and no seriously freezing temps, other than that, I ride whenever I can.

M.A.C.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:28 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,195 Likes on 1,827 Posts

What is this riding season in which you speak? I ride almost daily in the spring, summer , fall, and usually find a couple of weeks each monthin the winter to ride

Old 11-12-2007, 11:50 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

JB nice pic your one crazy cat. Thats insane.

Here in Ohio you can only hope for a nice day to pop up at least once during the winter months if i can find unsalted roads and no snow i hope that i can get a ride in each month. But in ohio you never know roads could be snow covered and iam just not that crazy.

If i can at least get out for a short ride for at least one day in dec, jan, feb, march then i may just keep my sanity until things start to break wide open in late april. All i can do is pray for those out of the blew days you get were its january 1st and50 to 70 degrees from noon to 5pm doesn't happen offten but every now and then it does.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:58 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: JB

Yep good riding.

Wow....don't think I have the stones to ride on that stuff!!

Down here, they use calcium hypochlorate on the bridges. It does a really good job of preventing them from icing over, provided they do it RIGHT.

There are times where the guy driving the spray truck is a FNG, and figures if a LITTLE of the stuff is good, then a BUNCH is better. Problem is, too much of the stuff layed down, results in a film of slippery goo, which is nearly as bad as ice.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:06 AM
Blade68
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

never never never...

Old 11-13-2007, 12:11 AM
Twolf
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been ta PHX, where ya gotta put a piece of plywood under yer kickstand ta keep the bike from sinkin' into the pavement, LOL!

Here, only the rare snow and frosties keep ya off the road. We gear up and RIDE!!! [sm=biker.gif]

Old 11-13-2007, 12:23 AM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ive had a couple of winters when all I had was the bike and riding in stuff like this is a real pain, but I when I did that it was with old rat bikes.This pic here is some photoshop work I did just screwing around. I wont ride athe good bike after they start salting the roads.
ORIGINAL: CSI Topeka

ORIGINAL: JB

Yep good riding.

Wow....don't think I have the stones to ride on that stuff!!

Down here, they use calcium hypochlorate on the bridges. It does a really good job of preventing them from icing over, provided they do it RIGHT.

There are times where the guy driving the spray truck is a FNG, and figures if a LITTLE of the stuff is good, then a BUNCH is better. Problem is, too much of the stuff layed down, results in a film of slippery goo, which is nearly as bad as ice.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:48 AM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,697 Likes on 2,124 Posts

JB, great pic, (even if it was shopped). I did get caught in snow like that once. The old Honda spun out from under me about 5 times in 2 miles. Looking back at it I should have walked the 2 miles to work.

I see the spoutin' off about riding all winter stopped. I don't think they have a clue about winter driving in the north.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:50 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

It ends when you say it ends.

Quick Reply: When Is the End of Riding Season?