Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pricing a bike for sale...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 07:08 PM
Bluerose
Default Pricing a bike for sale...

So how do you price your bike to sale? Is there a formula you use? You know like Kelly bluebook/nada + 40 - 60 % of add-ons....

I've been sitting her for a while looking at my list of add-ons and thinking about the pricing for my bike. Do I strip it down and sell the add-ons seperately? I have a lot of setups from stripped to full Touring and a passenger setup...maybe I offer several price levels based on what they want? I'm confused.

What I am not is desperate. I do not want to give my bike away. Thoughts?

Old 11-11-2007, 07:13 PM
chopperz71
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Pricing a bike for sale...

Unfortunately, you don't get much for the add-ons when you sell the bike. If you could find some folks that need certain parts that might be a good idea, to sell them ahaed of time. Then you can use the $ on some new bling for the Ultra.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:17 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree it is hard to get the cost of the extras, but they will also help you sell your bike for what you want/need out of it. Can't wait to see your new Ultra. Good Luck, I really wish you lived closer to Missouri.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:21 PM
DragonsBreath
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I sold my Road Glide I took some of the accessories off, like the highway pegs and other chrome coversI knew I could re-use. Then I advertised it with two options. One price was for the stock bike the other included the tour pack and lower fairings. The guy who bought it wanted the tour pack so he payed the higher price.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:24 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Basically, a bike, like everything else for sale, is worth whatever a buyer is willing to pay for it. Since you are not desperate, why not decide what you would like to get for it, without being unreasonable, and try to sell it for that price. You will either sell it or get some feed back about what others would be willing to pay and then you can adjust your price accordingly. Good luck.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:50 PM
txgeezer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Bluerose

So how do you price your bike to sale? Is there a formula you use? You know like Kelly bluebook/nada + 40 - 60 % of add-ons....

I've been sitting her for a while looking at my list of add-ons and thinking about the pricing for my bike. Do I strip it down and sell the add-ons seperately? I have a lot of setups from stripped to full Touring and a passenger setup...maybe I offer several price levels based on what they want? I'm confused.

What I am not is desperate. I do not want to give my bike away. Thoughts?
Price is always king. You won't get chit for your add ons. You have to realize that they are for your enjoyment and your tastes. They may make you bike sell faster compared tosomeone else's but you will be lucky to get 10% of what you paid.

As for not being desperate, what that normally means is you don't really want to sell & hope someone will pay youwhat you have in it. Whatyou have in it has no relationto market value. In the real estate world, we call that an expired listing - meaning the current owner is the highest bidder or they put more market value on it than others. (nothing wrong with that if thatis the case & you don't need to sell)

If you want to sell it, get ahead of the market and price it so people want to see it. (less than blue book) Ever go into an antique mall? You see lots of overpriced crap that was there last year. Thats because the owner is getting off on running a museum vs actually selling something. No one wants to brag that they paid to much but everyone wants to say what a deal they got. If you don't want to price it to sell, then keep it and enjoy your ride because it's you.

If you sell off some of your add ons, you will probably recover more of your costs & it probably won't make a big difference in your final sales price on the bike.

Not want you wanted to hear but it's reality. See all those bike Ads in the paper, call em after they are no longer listed and ask them if they sold or what they got.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:54 PM
wldbill
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On my trade-in of an 05 Softail Standard, the dealer didn't add anything for my add-ons and said I could take off the stuff if I wanted to. Should have done that and sold the items on my own. The bike's price on their sales floor was the trade-in bucks plus the retail of all the stuff I'd put on, PLUS. It's the business!

Old 11-11-2007, 08:05 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Take of your goodies and sell them to forum folks... Also I agree with listing your bike at a price a little under blue book if you actually wnat people to come and see it. There are so many used Harley's out there for sale that the market is kinda soft. The good thing for you is that I don't see Deluxe's for sale used all that often so hopefully you can capit alize on that.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:13 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

I pulled all the extras off my Fatboy and sold it all for something like $800.00. Sold a few items here, but most on Craigslist within 2 days!

Old 11-11-2007, 08:28 PM
Bluerose

I think I have come up with a price but I have to do some work first to take everything I'm keeping off. That means removing the detachable setup. I have all of my old parts onlya few things can't be put back on like stock grips that were cut off).

Couple of questions...

What is the value of an extended warrenty?
Should I just turn it in or slightly discount it and offer it with the bike?

By the way txgeezer ...you take my use of "I'm not desperate" wrong. I've sold things before I get the idea of pricing. I was just wondering if there was a generalized model todecently pricea cycle...evidently not.

I'm not saying I'm going to over price it and hold my breath...but I know it is winter and I know what reality is....Simply I don't have to bargin basement the price so it will sell tomorrow I am not hard up for the money. If it takes 6 weeks to find a buyer I'll be content and if I have to wait until spring to get a reasonable price I will. Pretty much I'm considering buying an 08' the dealer has sales over the winter...I'd like to use the money to take advantage of that....but if I find real deal I'll buy regardless...it will just be tight in the garage. If I sell mine and have to wait several months to buy the bike I want...that is no big deal either.

I actaully have a card from easyriders...he has a buyer for me but I haven't asked what it is going ot cost me.[&:] I'll call him Tuesday just to chat.He wanted to trade mine almost straight across for a used EG Classic with 18k milage...and did not care about add-ons...might have considered if it was an Ultra.

Quick Reply: Pricing a bike for sale...