Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pricing a bike for sale...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 01:29 PM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Pricing a bike for sale...

OK...here you go:

1) You take the original purchace price of the bike
2) Include your add-ons and all the service and labor into that price
3) Cut 1/3 off of the price
4) Remove one of your arms
5) Cut the price in half
6) Remove one of your legs

Now you should have arrived at the "fair market value".[&:][:@]

Old 11-12-2007, 01:44 PM
Bishop73
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with taking off your addons. You may get lucky enough to find a buyer who wants your bike with those addons, but you'd have better luck and make more money selling the bits by themselves.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:14 PM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: anubisss

I looked on cycletrader last night for 2005 Deluxe's and the news was grim. One for $14.9 and one for $15...The rest were between $17.5 and $25 or so. If I were in the market for a used scoot I would scheck out the lower priced ones first as they only has about 2000 miles on them and go from there. I'm not forking out anything over $15 for a used bike. JMHO...
Well you won't be getting my bike for 15K or less (BTW mine is an 06 not an 05). Like I said before I want to sell it but I would buy a second bike before giving it away. Seriously, I want to be able to buy a new bike and if I have to sell the Deluxetoo low it just won't make sense to sell it. I'll just be limiting my riding more.

Most of the 06s I have seen with not much into them out here are listed for 16500 to 17500.....usually fairly stock (low miles) or with some upgrade (higher miles) , most of the time without bags, and no warrenty. I also made a note that you find very few Blue and Whites....solids and black/white all over. Like I said I have a price in mind and once I get it broken down and pictures I'll list it. No hurry... I also have a potential buyer right around the corner....so I'll be offering it to her first.

As for cycletrader (and auto trader for that matter) I have tired several times to look at some of the bikes they had listed for saleand half the ads are out dated, dealers, and/or a largeamount of scammers.....I have seen the same Goldwing on there 4 times. I would not use it as a gauge for anything.I have been checking out the the different HD selling spots and ebay.

I did have good luck with ebay on my Yamaha. Will probably list my bags and extras there...most of my add-ons are detachable. My tour pack was just replaced and is only 3 months old.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:17 PM
Dinger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bev, how many miles are on the bike?

Old 11-12-2007, 02:23 PM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: Dinger

Bev, how many miles are on the bike?

Old 11-13-2007, 07:52 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Bev,

Reality is that your bike comes in at 11,215 for low retail and 14,755 for average. Yours being above average is going to get you maybe 16,000 tops. This is NADA without your options.Options will not get you near as much on the bike as they will if you take them off and sell them seperately.

Most buyers are not going to want everything you have on your bike, and will not be willing to pay a lot extra for those parts. When we sold Arleen's Heritage I stripped it, and then gave the buyer the option of buying the used parts that he wanted. We ended up selling most of the stuff right here on the forum and got .50 cents on the dollar.

Bill

Old 11-13-2007, 08:56 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bluerose
What is the value of an extended warrenty?
Should I just turn it in or slightly discount it and offer it with the bike?
You would have to speak to the finance person at the delership to find out what the prorated cash-in price would be.
AS far as charging the buyer for the x-warranty,doesnt sound right IMO.
Having the x-warranty might help sell the bike to the right person.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:41 AM
Mike NY
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I guess your not considering a trade in with the dealer. I understand that they won't give you top dollar but remember they deduct the tradin value first and then tax you on the amount left over for the new bike, so there is possibly some savings there as well.

Then part out all the accesories. Don't give the dealer any of them.

I traded in my Honda Shadow ACE when I bought my Harley only because I didn't want to deal with people coming to my house and wasting my time,

Best of luck !!! sorry your leaving the Deluxe club though....

Mike
NY

Old 11-13-2007, 12:52 PM
Bluerose

In CA the average price is above NADA.

The warrenty will be optional but again I'm not giving it away....I prorated return is 1K so if they don't want it I'll return it and/or trade it for one on the new bike.

I'm guessing at this point I'll be offering it for 18,500 to begin with....no bags or other detachables, no warrenty but still 3500 + in add ons....slightly higher then some around here but lower then others. I will leave on the seat rail, windshield, pegs, engine guard, pipes, etc....and include all stock parts (including stock pipes).That is $500 less the blue book and under suggested listing price for NADAplus about what I can get for the extra parts...if I strip it. It will also include the 10,000 mile scheduled maintenance.

19,500 with 5 1/2 years on warrenty...and 20,500 if you want the bags (w/tour pak), warrenty, and passenger detachables (still includes 10,000 mile maintenance)....that's a $7000 hit to me...it hurts but......

I'll be calling the dealer today and asking about tradein on a stripped bike and I have a few other avenues I haven't explored yet.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Candy Red Road Glide
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best of luck to ya...hope you get all ya want for it..never know someone might want exactly your bike as you have made it.

Quick Reply: Pricing a bike for sale...