Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pricing a bike for sale...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 08:30 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Pricing a bike for sale...

different trains of thought if you are trading in take all stuff off, as far as selling retail, leave on you won`t get what you paid for add on`s, but your bike will stand out from other stock bikes, makes yours more marketable, remember there is a A$$ for ever seat

Old 11-11-2007, 11:51 PM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've sold both ways, with the goodies on and then with them off. Depending on the goodies it may actually be worth it to take them off and sell seperately. Things like windshield bags, little chrome doohickies, and such often don't add enough value to the bike to make them worthwhile, but you can turn them into extra cash by selling them seperate.

Example, I had a chrome tool box I sold online for $40 (only paid $45). The bike price was still good, and that little chrome extra wouldn't have added anything significant to the price. By selling it seperate, though, I gained $40 I might not otherwise have made. It took less than 3 minutes to take it off so the extra value was worth it in the longrun.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:57 PM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

KBB.com

Old 11-12-2007, 04:29 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll tell you what worked for me: eBay. I had advertised my last bike (BMW) locally for like two weeks and had only one person come out to look at it. I put it on eBay and it sold for $500.00 more than I was asking for it in my local newspaper.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:22 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

You can hope for NADA retail on the bike and the extras won't count for much in the resale. Take them off and you should be able to get .50 centson the dollar for them on E-Bay.

The bike market is not what it used to be so you will probably not find people standing in line. If the bike is over priced, you might not even get a call.

Bill

Old 11-12-2007, 07:16 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Off track, but Bill, was that your letter I saw published? And Rose, it might work well to leave some goodies on the bike to make it stand out from the others. Cycle Trader is a good place to get an idea for what bikes are selling for. Or at least what people are asking.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:03 AM
mean green
Road Captain
Received 101 Likes on 47 Posts

If for one would be interested in buying a tour pack like the one you have set up. If you decide to sell the add on parts seperately you may get more of the cost that you put in.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:01 PM
nilro
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would leave the extras on to set the bike apart. You might not get as much money if you sold them separately or put them on the new bike, but consider this:

If you get a new bike, are you really going to put the old stuff on there? No. New bike, new custom stuff. Also, if you try to sell them separately, you are going to take all the extra time parting it out. Not worth it.

My $0.02

Old 11-12-2007, 01:18 PM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

Take a look at what bikes like yours are selling for on E-Bay. That's usually a good indicator of the true market value. If youdecide to trade the bike in, definitely would recommend stripping the premium parts and selling on e-bay. The extra stuff has no impact on the trade in value.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:24 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I looked on cycletrader last night for 2005 Deluxe's and the news was grim. One for $14.9 and one for $15...The rest were between $17.5 and $25 or so. If I were in the market for a used scoot I would scheck out the lower priced ones first as they only has about 2000 miles on them and go from there. I'm not forking out anything over $15 for a used bike. JMHO...

Quick Reply: Pricing a bike for sale...