Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

warmest /lightest jacket undergarmet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 04:03 PM
Simba
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warmest /lightest jacket undergarmet?

what's the warmest thing to wear under a normal leathersortof medium/heavy weight motorcylce jacket which is light or you can get under the jacket? I say light since bike jackets are kind of tight with not a lot of room for thick stuff. I have a nice leather harley jacket{ not one of those really expensive fx ones but still good leather} and I am still cold in my chest at 45 riding for more than 30 mniutes. Got sick riding in it over weekend}. So is there something really good to wear under the leather which is compact or a few things ? Some kind of insulated something etc? I can't afford one of those super leatherjackets with liners just yet . Maybe down the road. Would appreciate opinions. thanks in advance

Old 11-11-2007, 04:06 PM
Pitts2112
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: warmest /lightest jacket undergarmet?

Layers or a good fleece. You can't beat merino wool undershirts by Icebreaker. They're thin and warm as anything.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:18 PM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 100 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: Simba

what's the warmest thing to wear under a normal leather sort of medium/heavy weight motorcylce jacket which is light or you can get under the jacket? I say light since bike jackets are kind of tight with not a lot of room for thick stuff. I have a nice leather harley jacket{ not one of those really expensive fx ones but still good leather} and I am still cold in my chest at 45 riding for more than 30 mniutes. Got sick riding in it over weekend}. So is there something really good to wear under the leather which is compact or a few things ? Some kind of insulated something etc? I can't afford one of those super leather jackets with liners just yet . Maybe down the road. Would appreciate opinions. thanks in advance

Silk! Check it out here.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:52 PM
FLHDRIVER
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wear a long sleeve T-shirt, Gerbings or MOCO 9made by Gerbings) heated jacket liner. Even with a adjustable Temp Controller you will have to go to lowest setting or turn it off. No Ice or snow you can ride comfortably ALL winter, if you live where its cold.....and enjoy it.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Bluerose

I wear a gortex jacket made by harley .... Keeps the wind out and I find it is just warm enough for me to about 45 with my switchback jacket (switch back is not a wind proof jacket and the nylon liner is chilly), but I don't see freezing temps to often here.

HD Men's Windstopper jacket
HD Ladies Windstopper jacket

a bit pricy but I caught mine on sale....I love mine and wear it off and on the bike....

Old 11-11-2007, 05:16 PM
curlydee
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

[ul][*]Retains heat[*]Thin and lightweight[/ul] Pure silk long underwear, with 100% natural filament, provides extra warmth without adding bulk and won't feel scratchy under clothing like cotton does. [ul][*]Porous[/ul]
Silk "breathes" well so you won't overheat when indoors.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:24 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I picked up some military polypro underwear at a local surplus store. It has a zipper neck so I can open it up if I get warm, or zip it up to my ears for riding.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:09 PM
Mathews2
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Get something with the wind stopper, it is great stuff. But save yourself alot of money and just get it at Cabela's ETC.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:14 PM
ko4qc
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A Leopard shin thong keep me toasty!!!...:&gt

Old 11-11-2007, 07:33 PM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ride with a Switchback jacket and wear a North Face wind shell which is thin & breathable and a fleece neck gator. Under that, a polar fleece long sleeve shirt with a zip up neck and a poly-pro shirt under that. If it's really cold, I add a thin wool vest. As Bluerose mentioned the Switchback is tight, but all this fits comfortably under it.
If it's just your chest getting cold, the vest works wonders (so does a newspaper). You can go wool or fleece and the fleece ones can be bought for cheap. I paid $9.00 for one and I've had it for at least 12 years. The clothing hints come from experience in that I lived in Minnesota for 40 years and Montana for 12. Rode today for a couple of hours at 43 degrees and stayed comfortable

Quick Reply: warmest /lightest jacket undergarmet?