General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's The Best State for Motorcyclists?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 12:04 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's The Best State for Motorcyclists?

I would make a pole... but it didn't give fifty options.

So, what's the best state to ride and own a motorcycle in?

I'll go first making an arguement for my hone state, of course, I'm not biased. But at somepoint I may want to move, and figure out a good place to go. Oh, and feel free to argue for the worst.

So New Mexico:

No helmet laws, except for minors. No instecption. Very very few local with noise ordinances. Yup, you can pretty much do whatever you want to your rider. 300+ days of Sunshine, and even in the Norther part of the state; fewer than 10 days a year of just unridable weather (unless you really live "in the mountains"). State and Interstate with 75 mph two and four lane highways. Open stretches of land where you come across no one for miles.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:16 PM
INDEPENDENTBIKEWORKS
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What's The Best State for Motorcyclists?

Id say California.
I understand ll the BS that goes with living in Cali, so dont start with that. Native, 65.
However, there are no special laws against motorcycles, except helmets. And you can probably lump that in with seatbelts. But you do have awesome riding weather, awesome places for riding, and you can lane split. Lane splitting shows a pro motorcycle attitude.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:19 PM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll throw Florida out there, of course I'm biased because I live here. However 12 months of riding isn't bad and we've got Biketoberfest and Bikeweek.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:32 PM
ZeroFiveFour
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Hawaii... if you like riding in great weatherto beautiful tropical areas 365 days of the year on 5 islands, not counting rain days.

Although Maryland is nice, it's a beautiful45 degrees out today. LMFAO

Aloha,

Tom

Old 11-11-2007, 12:36 PM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior

gotta go with cali great riding all year long and close to no helmet states / stay where you are unless you work out a trade with a non rider.....

[IMG]local://upfiles/5757/6174A7AA40284AA3A0AE489999DBEB06.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-11-2007, 12:40 PM
kingk9
Banned

California, especially Southern California. Despite all the other things wrong with it, it gives you year round riding, low humidity, beaches, mountains, and deserts. And like someone else said, lane splitting, which is one of the greatest things in the world if there's lots of traffic on the freeway. I don't know if other states have this, but you can also legally ride in the carpool lanes.

Old 11-11-2007, 01:36 PM
savage1978
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someones gotta throw Texas out there. Lax helmet laws (minors and insurance required for adults), Lax inspections, and every type of climate you could think of to ride in all in the same state. Hill country, coast line, pine trees of East Texas, Northern plains, desert west......not to mention the Hot Texas women!!!! The whole state is biker friendly (at least where i have rode) Awsome Bar-B-Que and Mexican resturants around every corner.......God Bless Texas!

Old 11-11-2007, 01:39 PM
rinja64
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Of course I have to say Arizona...Ride all year..During the summer, just plan on leaving before the sun gets up and head north...about an hour and you are up over 5000 ft...Even in the summer, if you are lucky you can catch a summers rain...if it would ever rain...During the winter, head down south...No helmet law (YET)....Only thing to watch out for are snow birds driving 35 in a 65....

Old 11-11-2007, 01:40 PM
stevieg
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Herr,
I grew up in Albuquerque but now live in SoCal. I've always thought N.M. would be a great place to ride. Long winding hwys thru
beautiful terrain with little traffic. Never ridden a bike there but would love to.

Old 11-11-2007, 01:48 PM
AZdryheat
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Is this going to go to a vote? 'cause it seems most people haven't ridden and owned in more than one state for them to make a comparison. I've ridden in several states but only owned in AZ.

Quick Reply: What's The Best State for Motorcyclists?