General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locktite???

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 05:58 AM
Twohulabears
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locktite???

Ok, I am watching "Build Or Bust" on Speed Channel and they are talking about useing Locktite (sorry, I have no idea how to spell it) on the bolts. What is the difference between Red and Blue Locktite and what bolts do you use it on? Do you use one of the Locktites on every bolt you tighten on your bike? Where do you buy it?

Old 12-21-2005, 07:22 AM
Wolfx
Road Captain
Default RE: Locktite???

I have always used the BLUE locktite. Its my understanding that the blue is for bolts up to a certain size at which point the red is suggested. I also read that the red stuff requires heat to remove bolts with which it was used to secure. To me, Fire and my Harley dont go together so it will always be blue stuff for me.

Old 12-21-2005, 08:17 AM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Twohulabears

Ok, I am watching "Build Or Bust" on Speed Channel and they are talking about useing Locktite (sorry, I have no idea how to spell it) on the bolts. What is the difference between Red and Blue Locktite and what bolts do you use it on? Do you use one of the Locktites on every bolt you tighten on your bike? Where do you buy it?
Use blue on bolts you might need to remove in the future. Use red on more permanent bolts. Like the other post said, red can require heat to remove, so keep that in mind. You can buy it at just about any decent auto parts store. I know Pep Boys carries it. Permatex also makes blue and red thread locking compounds. While you are there, pick up some high temp anti-sieze compound too. Use it on any threads that screw into aluminum (including spark plugs)..

Old 12-21-2005, 08:27 AM
geno3j
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK here is the down on dirty, LockTite is some great stuff if used properly. If not you could really put the work into maintenance on your bike. The difference is:
COLOR , BOLT SIZE , Torque (in-lbs) TO BREAK ,CURE TIME, TEMP RANGE , USE

Blue (242) ,¼" to ¾", 60, 20 min/ 24 hrs., -65 to 300 ,Medium Strength, applied before assembly.

Red (271) ,#8 to 1" , 160 , 20 min/ 24 hrs, -65 to 300 ,High Strength, for threaded & slip fit joints. Applied before assembly

They also make a green and white. The Green (290) is a Med strength for use after the bolt is installed. The Green (640) is High Strength applied before instalution. I would not reccomend either of these as they both take excessive time to cure and the 640 takes some real toqure to break free.

The White (PST) is Superior to Teflon tape, ensures leak-proof seal under harsh treatment. temp ranges from -65 to 400.

All temps are in F not C.

Hope this answers the mail.

Geno

Old 12-21-2005, 08:51 AM
DragonNester
Tourer

Blue is like laquer and the red is like JB Weld. Use red only on bolts you know you'll never take off

Old 12-21-2005, 12:57 PM
Beeracuda
Road Master

Loctite also make a couple of primers to reduce the time that it takes for the stuff to set up. Primer T cures the part in about 5 minutes and Primer NF in about 15-20 seconds, if I remember correctly.

Monty

Old 12-21-2005, 01:07 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

Loctite 242 Nut and Bolt Locker (part #3370) is blue in color and is a medium strength locking compound. This allows fasteners to be disassembled with hand tools yet prevents loosening under normal circumstances`........
Loctite 271 Stud Lock (part #3371) is red in color and is a very high strength compound that `is great for problem fasteners that don`t seem to want to stay tight`. `Removal may be difficult and may require heating the fastener`.......
Loctite 290 Penetrating Thread Locker (part #3372) is green in color and is a very high strength, low viscosity, compound. It `can be used to lock previously assembled fasteners such as when locking down an adjustment` (their exact words).......
Loctite 609 Retaining Compound (part #3373) was developed especially for bonding cylindrical parts such as mounting bearings or bushings into housings as well as mounting pulleys onto shafts, to improve strength of press fit bearings etc.......
Locquic Cleaner and Primer (part #3376)is used to clean the surfaces and to speed the cure. Especially important on certain inactive surfaces such as stainless steel......
Additionally Loctite makes Pipe Sealant with Teflon (part#3374) and a Gasket Eliminator 515 (part #3375).

Came across one of those trick things we all love a few weeks back. He`d used red locktite to keep the bolts from loosening and the stuff was really holding. It was in a place where a torch couldn`t be used due to proximity of electrical wiring etc. I had just picked up the cheater bar when another friend dropped by. Saw me with the cheater bar and asked what I was doing. Told him. He said his wife(!) had came through his shop while he was working to free up some locktited bolts and had told him of a super easy way to get the locktite bolts loose WITHOUT the use of heat! Just put a dab of fresh locktite on the bolt and wait about 10 minutes and it`ll loosen all the old set-up locktite! Tried it and the bolts felt like they`d never had any locktite on them! NEAT TIP.

Old 12-21-2005, 03:48 PM
Twohulabears
Road Captain

Thanks for all the help! One question though. Should I always use Loctite when putting a bolt back on the bike? For example, if I take the seat off, should I put some of the Blue Loctite on the bolt when putting it back on? Or if I take the battery cover off, should I put some on when putting it back on? When do I know when to use the stuff?

Old 12-21-2005, 04:25 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My rule of thumb has always been if it had locktite when I took it off, I put it on when I put the bolt or nut back. Barring that, better safe then sorry. I'd use the blue stuff just in case.

Old 12-21-2005, 04:33 PM
Flying Pilgrim
Road Master

There is also purple loctite (#222) for small screws, but you would not need that formula on you scoot.

I wouldn't worry about using a thread sealer on your seat screws or battery cover, as these are items you are likely to remove periodically, so you will be checking them each time you do so. If you only buy one type, get the blue.

Quick Reply: Locktite???