General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CA cop encourages loud pipes

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 11:23 PM
g money
Account Retired
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: CA cop encourages loud pipes

Just because he says he's a cop doesn't mean he's a cop. Anyone can write a horseshit letterand claim to be anything they want to be.
Gary D.

Old 11-10-2007, 02:21 AM
Cliff Diver
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what I get from this is, I am still not sure what the Max Load of Pipes are, If I know the weight limit then maybe I will refrain from wanting to step on them. Not everyone has the same opinion on this matter so we should just believe in our own. Also if I want to be a cop all I have to do is pretend and write into a magazine. My future is set.

Old 11-10-2007, 02:34 AM
BadBoyFLSTC
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loud pipes have saved my life a number of times. Say what you want.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:02 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

So there!

Old 11-10-2007, 08:12 AM
06ultra
Elite HDF Member

My old lady has a loud set of pipes, wish she had the quiet one's .
Nag,Nag,Nag.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:25 AM
curlydee
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I had to get rid of my LOAD pipes, they started doing randon LOAD testing at work.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:10 PM
scubabike420
Cruiser

[quote]ORIGINAL: MNPGRider

ORIGINAL: kingk9

Why is it that Gold Wings and BMW's haven't earned the reputation of Death Traps since they're so quiet?
I know that motorcycles in general are considered "death traps" but do they break it out by make and model. Are there any statistics on that? Not being a smart a*s, I really don't know. Depending on how many of each make is out there, wouldn't that be relevent? I know crotch rockets are getting a bad rep, but because of the speed that they are driven, not because of quiet or loud. Do they keep statisics on what caused the accidents and the circumstances, and are they readily available to the general public or are they just all lumped together. In order to be known as a death trap people have to haveaccess to information and then form an opinion based on that. Otherwise it's just all conjecture. I have antecdotal evidence and my own experience to base my opinion on. Until I see something different, I'm gonna go with that.
As a former MSF instructor, I still get a lot of info on safety stats, and I have never seen any reference to make and model, except the consistant "sport bike riders are overly represented infatal accidents," which was first established way back when the Hurt Motorcycle Report was done. What is now showing up, however, is the large increase in fatalities in the 40+ age group.

This is the latest info that I've received, and note that it goes back to the fall of 2004.

Older Motorcycle Riders Driving Death Rate Higher
Sept. 1, 2004 – Older motorcycle riders are increasing rapidly and are driving the death rate upwards. Last year, 46 percent of motorcycle fatalities were riders 40 and over, an increase of 21 percent since 1993, according to statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Motorcycle fatalities rose by 348 to 3,592, an 11 percent increase. The mean age of motorcyclists’ fatalities has also increased from 29.3 years in 1990 to 36.3 years in 2001. The analysis also indicates a corresponding rise in the average age of motorcyclists killed and greater involvement of motorcycles with larger engines in fatal crashes. Two-thirds of the riders killed on 1,001-1,500 cc engine size were 40 and over years old.
Since 1980, motorcycle ownership among the 40 and over age group has increased significantly, from 15.1 percent in 1980 to 43.7 percent in 1998.
A recent analysis of age trends shows that over the past 10 years, fatalities in the 20 to 29 year old age group, the group with the highest annual number of motorcycle fatalities, decreased, while fatalities in the 40 and over age groups increased. During this time, however, there were more driving age individuals in the 40 and over age group in the United States.
Forty percent of fatally injured operators tested positive for alcohol, and 32 percent had a BAC of 0.08 or higher and alcohol use was highest among operators 40 to 49 years old, followed by those 30 to 39 years old.
The motorcycle community is experiencing astounding growth. New unit sales of on-highway motorcycles have increased approximately 91 percent since 1997. The Motorcycle Industry Council (MIC) expects motorcycle sales to continue to increase over the next 5 to 7 years – meaning more motorcycles on our Nation’s roadways. MIC estimates that 471,000 new on-highway motorcycles were sold in the United States in 2000 alone compared to 379,000 in 1999.
While motorcycle fatalities rose by 348 to 3,592, an 11 percent increase, passenger car fatalities declined by 778. SUV fatalities increased by 456, 55 percent of which were rollover crashes. This increase was partially accounted for by increases in SUV sales.
Motorcycle Riders in Fatal Crashes
Since 1997, motorcycle rider fatalities have increased each year, according to the recently released estimate from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's

Old 11-10-2007, 12:27 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: 06ultra

My old lady has a loud set of pipes, wish she had the quiet one's .
Nag,Nag,Nag.
Guess you don't need the intercom.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:07 PM
madelf
Tourer

ORIGINAL: scubabike420

Guess you don't want to mention that the same data show fatalities among helmeted riders is increasing faster than that of non-helmeted riders. How about looking at 2004 and 2005 helmet data on FARS. At the same time when the NHTSA has released survey information indicating that more than half of motorcycle riders now ride without a helmet, helmeted riders make up more than half the fatalities. Stop and think about that. If helmets made no difference at all you would expect the percent of fatalities for each group to closely match the percent of riders in each group. If helmets were such an important factor in motorcycle fatalities you would expect non-helmeted riders to have more than their fair share of fatalities, but what we see in 2004 data, the same year the NHTSA estimates that 58% of riders don't wear a helmet, is helmeted riders having more than their fair share.

Look, I'm not going to deny that helmets do reduce the risk of head injury or even death, but the effectiveness of helmets has been greatly over stated and is not supported by data. In fact the data suggest that other factors play a much more important role in motorcycle fatalities. This almost helmet only safety push by government has left those other factors unaddressed. This is the problem with the helmet arguement. I'm a 15 year safety professional and I will tell you that data being used to support helmet use is weak at best. I will also tell you that protective equipment is ALWAYS THE LAST AND LEAST EFFECTIVE at reducing risk. It is an after the fact measure. Accident prevention should be the focus of motorcycle safety, but everyone wants to argue helmet use and effectiveness. It has left the NHTSA off the hook for doing anything meaningful when it comes to improving motorcycle safety.
Y'know what else could be extrapolated from that?

I don't think it can seriously be argued that when your head hits the pavement, a helmet isn't going to help absorb the impact (though how much helpmay bedebatable). So it's probably safe to say that, if you crash, a helmet would reduce the statistical chance of death resulting from that crash. So if helmeted riders are showing more than their fair share of fatal crashes, and they are (as they should be) less likely to die in a crash..... then that must mean thathelmeted riders(as a statistical group) are experiencing far, far more that their fair share of crashes in general.

I wonder why that could be? Couldn't be the full-face helmets restricting the rider's perceptions of his surroundings could it? (Of course it could just be that more sport-bike riders wear helmets too, but it still makesme wonder)

If anyone has any statistics whichaddress crashes in general (not just fatal crashes), and divides them by bike type, helmet use, etc ... I'd be really interested in seeing those. (And I wish there were some that addressed type of helmet worn during the crashes too, but that's probably a pipe dream)

Old 11-10-2007, 04:33 PM
SG Mike
Road Master

ORIGINAL: QT Hush

Works if you are along side, but not approaching an intersection where most car/motorcycle accidents occur.
What he said!

Quick Reply: CA cop encourages loud pipes