General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CA cop encourages loud pipes

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 04:51 PM
kingk9
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: CA cop encourages loud pipes

Why is it that Gold Wings and BMW's haven't earned the reputation of Death Traps since they're so quiet?
I know that motorcycles in general are considered "death traps" but do they break it out by make and model. Are there any statistics on that? Not being a smart a*s, I really don't know. Depending on how many of each make is out there, wouldn't that be relevent? I know crotch rockets are getting a bad rep, but because of the speed that they are driven, not because of quiet or loud. Do they keep statisics on what caused the accidents and the circumstances, and are they readily available to the general public or are they just all lumped together. In order to be known as a death trap people have to haveaccess to information and then form an opinion based on that. Otherwise it's just all conjecture. I have antecdotal evidence and my own experience to base my opinion on. Until I see something different, I'm gonna go with that.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:40 PM
Rides2007Harley
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: mark10

how load is load?
how load do pipes have to be in order to 'save your life'?
Well, I will be one to admit it, I like my LOAD pipes. In fact, I know that my LOAD pipes have saved me a few times but I can't prove it with science. If something is LOAD it gets peoples attention and many times as others have said I could be pulling up behind someone and the LOADNESS of the pipes would alert them. They obviously are not going to help with the clowns turning left in front of you but why not reach for any advantage you can get.

You may think I am giving a LOUD of **** here but I will take my chances with pipes others can hear. Just one more thing to take a LOUD off my mind.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:45 PM
ImYourHuckleberry
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Helmets gloves pipes horns jeans chaps vests jackets tassle waving dyna etiquette part 794,094,832.886

Old 11-09-2007, 07:06 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

ORIGINAL: kingk9

Why is it that Gold Wings and BMW's haven't earned the reputation of Death Traps since they're so quiet?
I know that motorcycles in general are considered "death traps" but do they break it out by make and model. Are there any statistics on that? Not being a smart a*s, I really don't know. Depending on how many of each make is out there, wouldn't that be relevent? I know crotch rockets are getting a bad rep, but because of the speed that they are driven, not because of quiet or loud. Do they keep statisics on what caused the accidents and the circumstances, and are they readily available to the general public or are they just all lumped together. In order to be known as a death trap people have to haveaccess to information and then form an opinion based on that. Otherwise it's just all conjecture. I have antecdotal evidence and my own experience to base my opinion on. Until I see something different, I'm gonna go with that.
As a former MSF instructor, I still get a lot of info on safety stats, and I have never seen any reference to make and model, except the consistant "sport bike riders are overly represented infatal accidents," which was first established way back when the Hurt Motorcycle Report was done. What is now showing up, however, is the large increase in fatalities in the 40+ age group.

This is the latest info that I've received, and note that it goes back to the fall of 2004.

Older Motorcycle Riders Driving Death Rate Higher
Sept. 1, 2004 – Older motorcycle riders are increasing rapidly and are driving the death rate upwards. Last year, 46 percent of motorcycle fatalities were riders 40 and over, an increase of 21 percent since 1993, according to statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Motorcycle fatalities rose by 348 to 3,592, an 11 percent increase. The mean age of motorcyclists’ fatalities has also increased from 29.3 years in 1990 to 36.3 years in 2001. The analysis also indicates a corresponding rise in the average age of motorcyclists killed and greater involvement of motorcycles with larger engines in fatal crashes. Two-thirds of the riders killed on 1,001-1,500 cc engine size were 40 and over years old.
Since 1980, motorcycle ownership among the 40 and over age group has increased significantly, from 15.1 percent in 1980 to 43.7 percent in 1998.
A recent analysis of age trends shows that over the past 10 years, fatalities in the 20 to 29 year old age group, the group with the highest annual number of motorcycle fatalities, decreased, while fatalities in the 40 and over age groups increased. During this time, however, there were more driving age individuals in the 40 and over age group in the United States.
Forty percent of fatally injured operators tested positive for alcohol, and 32 percent had a BAC of 0.08 or higher and alcohol use was highest among operators 40 to 49 years old, followed by those 30 to 39 years old.
The motorcycle community is experiencing astounding growth. New unit sales of on-highway motorcycles have increased approximately 91 percent since 1997. The Motorcycle Industry Council (MIC) expects motorcycle sales to continue to increase over the next 5 to 7 years – meaning more motorcycles on our Nation’s roadways. MIC estimates that 471,000 new on-highway motorcycles were sold in the United States in 2000 alone compared to 379,000 in 1999.
While motorcycle fatalities rose by 348 to 3,592, an 11 percent increase, passenger car fatalities declined by 778. SUV fatalities increased by 456, 55 percent of which were rollover crashes. This increase was partially accounted for by increases in SUV sales.
Motorcycle Riders in Fatal Crashes
Since 1997, motorcycle rider fatalities have increased each year, according to the recently released estimate from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA)

Old 11-09-2007, 07:57 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

ORIGINAL: kingk9

That's an interesting perspective...Helmets are intentionally designed to offer protection, where is aftermarket pipes are designed to look good, add performanceand sound loud. I have yet to see Vance & Hines advertise their pipes as life savers, but I have seen helmet manufacturers boast about their SNELL/DOT lids.People can rationalize their choices. I just don't like it when they use "loud pipes saves lives" as an excuse, when all they wanted them for was to dress up the bike and have someone notice them via excrutiating sound waves. Hey, I have an ego to. Why else would I now own a Harley. In regards to safety, like kids, it's better to be seen, not heard... but WTF doI know...
That is really a specious argument. I got mine for the sound and the added safety, as I'm sure many people did. You can theorize all you wantabout why people say loud pipes save lives, butsaying thatit is justification forbuying loud pipes cause they want attention... come on.How would you know that? You really think that's how everybody looks at it? Many things havebenefits other than what they were specificaly made for.I think they add to my safety, and if some peoples right to an absolute noise free exsistance is bothered, well, my right to have them not drive their car up my a*s is more important. Since my reality is different from a kids, I want to be seen and heard.
I stand to be corrected. You're right, I have no idea why people buy loud pipes. I never talk to them on rides, Idon't read magazines or this forum... Excuse me while I pull my head out of my a$$... [sm=imsorry.gif]

Old 11-09-2007, 08:06 PM
tcartwr332
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To me its like when you hear a siren from a cop or a firetruck...you start looking around....I myself have seencagers look in there mirror when I'm on there side, just from the sound when i rev a little to let them know im there.......

Old 11-09-2007, 08:10 PM
kingk9
Banned

Excuse me while I pull my head out of my a$$...
Hey, take all the time you need.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:10 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

funny

Old 11-09-2007, 11:16 PM
x2lee
Banned

Ive stopped cars from pulling out by rapping my pipes THIS summer. You can hear my bike form 300 yrds approching you easy... Maybe one day you will believe maybe not, as for me I KNOW.

im sure your mileage will vary...
ORIGINAL: Tony P

When I thought about this, in a state where lane splitting is legal, I could see the value in loud pipes. Then I rethunk (?) this and determined that a bike coming up from behind you, the sound of the pipes don't really hit you until the bike is alongside. By then it could be too late... I still think it's a myth that loud pipes save lives. It's possiblethat loud pipes could be a detriment and startle the cager into making them do even more stupid things behind the wheel. Just my take...

Old 11-09-2007, 11:19 PM
x2lee
Banned

I hear your not a biker if you cant load a pipe...
just saying...
ORIGINAL: Clammy

I've asked this before: what exactly are "LOAD" pipes?? I've heard of "LOUD" pipes, but until I came here, I never hear dof "LOAD" pipes.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Quick Reply: CA cop encourages loud pipes