General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CA cop encourages loud pipes

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 10:07 AM
nilro
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CA cop encourages loud pipes

Most cagers can't hear because of those bluetooth things in their ears

Old 11-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Dirty Harry
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 531 Posts

not to hi-jack this thread but I wonder how many times this has been discussed this year???

I like nice sounding pipes

Old 11-09-2007, 10:18 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

A lot...however things are coming to a head ina lot of areas and it's nice to see a rider in an authority position advocate the advantages ofloud pipes and to see it printed...he's prolly seen it all....ABATE needs thiscops number

Old 11-09-2007, 10:23 AM
jamesr242
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If youre worried about cagers hearing you then investing in the Stebel Nautilus horn would be a way better investment because it is directed towards the front instead of the rear like the pipes. 139 db!!

Old 11-09-2007, 10:33 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

ORIGINAL: jamesr242

If youre worried about cagers hearing you then investing in the Stebel Nautilus horn would be a way better investment because it is directed towards the front instead of the rear like the pipes. 139 db!!
Good point...

Old 11-09-2007, 10:34 AM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

ORIGINAL: golfblues

I was riding in my car about a month ago in the left lane on a 2 lane parkway crusing with traffic. Out of nowhere I hear the sound of a harley in my right ear & glance in the right mirror. Nothing was there until I glanced over my shoulder. There it was right in a perfect blind spot by my right rear door/fender. If it was a quiet bike I would have never heard or seen him. Not that I was going to pull into the right lane anyway but I immeadiatly saw the danger of someone else pulling into his lane. Lesson learned for myself, don't give a cager the opportunity to make that mistake. The pipes did alert me that he was there. V&H Big Radius with Thunder Mountain Baffles, the life savers
Bingo.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:37 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: jamesr242

I just want them to hear me...I don't want to kill em (or deafen myself)...oh hell with it, maybe I'lljust hook up a real burlington northern train horn like the one I had on my big truckto my bike

Old 11-09-2007, 11:05 AM
Slick02
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: QT Hush

Works if you are along side, but not approaching an intersection where most car/motorcycle accidents occur.
This isnt an argument to the facts, I'm just thinking that if we were "hushed" those facts and numbers might change to include more sideswipes and cutoff accidents. The numbers might never even out with intersections but will increase without a doubt with all the distractions drivers have at their disposal today. Hell, they dont even use turn signals anymore which was at least a warning we used to have. You can not document what accidents have been prevented by drivers hearing us alongside them or in a busy parking lot. I know in my truck, when pulling out of a parking spot, I've heard a bike and stopped moving until I found out where they were.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:21 AM
donk_316
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Old 11-09-2007, 12:16 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tony P

When I thought about this, in a state where lane splitting is legal, I could see the value in loud pipes. Then I rethunk (?) this and determined that a bike coming up from behind you, the sound of the pipes don't really hit you until the bike is alongside. By then it could be too late... I still think it's a myth that loud pipes save lives. It's possible that loud pipes could be a detriment and startle the cager into making them do even more stupid things behind the wheel. Just my take...

Oh no, you can hear me coming miles away!

Quick Reply: CA cop encourages loud pipes