General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber Helmet owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 12:10 AM
NJSUPERGLIDE
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Helmet owners

Can someone please check if you own the DOT model if it say's on a label anyplace on the helmet Model EXT -001 on it.If you have a non Dot could you also check. Thanks for your Time .

RIde Safe

Frank

Old 12-21-2005, 05:02 AM
whiplush
Tourer
Default RE: Carbon Fiber Helmet owners

Yup, mines a DOT and has a tag inside that says EXT -001

This is my second one. The first one got scratched in a crash and It didn't have a tag in it like this one does but it was DOT also..

Why do you ask?

Old 12-21-2005, 08:23 AM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: whiplush

Yup, mines a DOT and has a tag inside that says EXT -001

This is my second one. The first one got scratched in a crash and It didn't have a tag in it like this one does but it was DOT also..

Why do you ask?
How do you like it? I am thinking about buying one soon. Does it stay down on your head at speed? Every DOT half helmet I ever wore became a parachute at 45mph. I am hoping the carbon fiber is different. Hate to think of how my $20 skid lid would hold up in a crash.

Old 12-21-2005, 09:59 AM
NJSUPERGLIDE
Cruiser

Check out this link and see if I am readng it right.It is in PDF from so it takes a while to load up.When you se Advanced Carbon Composites check it out and then click on the blue box all the way to the right with the numbers in it. Maybe I am missing something.

Frank http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testin...8/2005s218.pdf

Old 12-21-2005, 10:09 AM
Cohiba_Joe
Road Captain

My wife and I have 2 of them. She has the DOT and I use the non-DOT.

The DOT does have a tag in it stating the helmet complies with the specific DOT safety requirements along with the manufacturer, date of manufacture, the EXT -001 (if I remember correctly), and some other stuff. In her helmet the tag is sandwiched between the shell and the non-removable liner that provides the protection.

My non-DOT has no labeling on other than the "Headtrip" sticker on the back.

We both love them and wouldn't think twice of getting new ones if ever needed. I bought them because the Harley half helmets we used were too bulky and she had an issue with the wind problem. After riding for a while her neck would start to hurt. She no longer has that problem. I had ordered 1 of each type with the intension of exchanging the one we didn't like for the one we did like. It just turned out that she liked the DOT better than the non and I liked the non better than the DOT. So we kept both.

Hope this helps,

Brian

Old 12-21-2005, 10:14 AM
NJSUPERGLIDE
Cruiser

Hi Cohiba Joe, Thanks for answering . You gave me the info the first time I posted about one of thes helmets. My friend sent me this link to the test and it looks like the DOT model failed. Hope someone else gets it to work and maybe I am missing something in the report.

Frank

Old 12-21-2005, 10:23 AM
Cohiba_Joe
Road Captain

Hey Frank...

That's quite interesting. I think it would be worth a call to them to get their take on the whole thing. In fact I might do it today to put my mind at ease for the wife. Since I use the non I fully understand the possible outcomes of doing so but would like to know more about the DOT approval since that's what I paid for.

Judging by the link in your post I would say the report is from a valid source.

I'll be sure to post what I find out.

Brian

Old 12-21-2005, 10:28 AM
NJSUPERGLIDE
Cruiser

Thanks Brian for checking that out. I thought maybe it was the non Dot model Or I was just missing something. The site seems legit from what i can tell but I alway's like a 2,3, opinion lol.Same here with paying for a dot and not getting one. Thanks again.

Frank

Old 12-21-2005, 12:04 PM
Screamer
Road Captain

Frank,

Thanks for the info. I own a DOT made by Advanced Carbon Composites which in the report that you provided got a “FAIL”, I have sent Advanced Carbon Composites an email requesting advise/comment on the report and I am awaiting a response. The DOT Advanced Carbon Composites helmet that I own is not much bigger than the non-DOT and that is why I was attracted to it. I must admit the reason I bought it was its size and the fact that it is a DOT as police have been known to crack down and stop you to check if your helmet is a DOT from time to time. I guess even with a “FAIL” grade it still is technically legal in my state.

Old 12-21-2005, 12:43 PM
jhnmflr
Outstanding HDF Member

i ALSO OWN A 1/2 carbon fiber helmet from Advanced carbon fiber . I would be interested in a reply when you hear back from them about the fail link . On the flip side I love my dot 1/2 .

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Helmet owners