General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber Helmet owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 02:17 PM
Cohiba_Joe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Carbon Fiber Helmet owners

Phone message now says they will be closed until Jan. 2nd

Brian

Old 12-29-2005, 11:25 AM
NJSUPERGLIDE
Cruiser

According to Brian's post I guess my helmet is not coming this week. I will keep you guy's posted if I hear or receive anything.

Fank

Old 12-31-2005, 08:19 AM
Fatboy69
Advanced

Is this the helmets you guys are talking about? http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/

Old 12-31-2005, 10:00 AM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member

I have and EXT-001, too. Its a little less than one year old and I wear it almost every time I ride.

I don't think I'll go through the trouble of contacting Advanced Composites to obtain the shipping container and then ship off my helmet only to get it returned to me with yet another DOT certified liner, albeit a liner manufactured without the use of freon. What would be the point of that? Personally, I don't give a rat's a$$ whether the manufacture of my helmet's liner used freon or not. Its a done deal. I'm keeping it!

Old 12-31-2005, 03:50 PM
pointswhat
Road Captain

Hehe good point its not like destroying that helmet would undo any damage done by using freon.

Old 12-31-2005, 04:17 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

We use only real Carbon fiber and Kevlar which gives you an extremely lightweight and durable helmet. Also the "Ensolite" energy absorbing liner makes HEAD TRIP the highest quality Motorcycle helmet available today.

What an ABSOLUTE JOKE this statement is..

I know this is a touchy subject, but with all due respect...

A quality motorcycle helmet is made to destruct around your head, absorbing and therefore reducing the blow before it reaches your head. Kind of like an egg carton. Carbon fibre is one of the strongest materials known to man. Great for bullet-proof vests, and the worst material for a motorcycle helmet. That Carbon Fibre helmet looks like it will transfer the entire amount of contact energy right into your skull. A nice looking helmet, and one that will keep looking great after blowing up your brain on impact, but you wouldn't catch me wearing that thing on my head...
Sorry if I am stretching this subject thin, but I have a friend of mine who experienced brain trama when he was a teen. He now greets people at Wal-Mart, and it breaks my heart.

Old 12-31-2005, 05:17 PM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member

No need to be sorry, George. I always learn more from the airing of diverse opinions.

Actually, the carbon fiber/kevlar only forms the outer shell - just like the hard plastic used by other manufacturers. The hard plastic transmits kinetic energy as well. Its the liner that difusses the energy. And don't forget about the kevlar. Kevlar works in bullet-proof vests due to its being able to also diffuse kinetic energy, too.

Old 12-31-2005, 05:33 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Again, I have to use the egg cartron as a comparison. If you drop a Simpson, Bell or any other Snell approved race/motorcycle helmet, you have a good chance of cracking it and having to toss it into the trash. Drop it and it's usually a gonner. They are made to protect the brain which is like an egg. Neither an egg or the brain can survive a direct impact, so the protection must be designed accordingly..

I would go as far as saying that you could play basketball with that carbon fibre helmet all day long, and not put a scratch in it. Hard as all hell, but not energy absorbing like the outter shell needs to be, and the thin lining just isn't enough to compensate. Bullet proof vests use kevlar and carbon fibre because they are designed to flat out STOP the impact of a bullet. This application is totally different than trying to protect someones brain from trauma.. If you shot a race helmet, it would probably explode into a dozen pieces.
I know that most people look at a helmet as a thing to ward off the crash, but true head protection needs to absorb it, and not bouce off of it..
Another comparison is a race car that crashes directly into a wall. Usually, the driver dies. When the car flips over and over, it is dissapating the kinetic energy, therefore giving the driver a chance to live.

It's everyones choice, and I RESPECT that. I am certainly NOT preaching, but I do feel that there are some MAJOR misconceptions out there that may effect your helmet purchases..

Old 01-01-2006, 09:00 PM
mayday
Cruiser

I'm no expert, but in my research its my understanding that the outer shell functions to protect the head from penetration it is the inner lining that does the work of the energy dispersion. Bottom line for me....if it passes the DOT tests...I'm good to go.

Old 01-01-2006, 10:47 PM
Fatboy69
Advanced

Is this the helmets you guys are talking about? http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Helmet owners