General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber Helmet owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 02:12 PM
Cohiba_Joe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Carbon Fiber Helmet owners

The one I bought for the wife is the EXT-001.

Did they happen to say anything about doing advanced replacement or do you have to send yours in first, they receive it then send out the replacement? Just curious. If they won't do the advanced replacement then I guess this is the best time of year to do it....depending on where you live and your current weather.

Thanks for putting in the time with this Kechour.

Brian

Old 12-22-2005, 02:20 PM
Cohiba_Joe
Road Captain

So the way I'm reading this....

The EXT-001 DID pass the DOT testing but the Gov't made them start using a different liner material due to the Freon usage. When they did that the new liner didn't pass the DOT testing....hence the newest liner material in the EXT-002.

So, if you do have an EXT-001 your melon is still covered by a DOT certified helmet, just not the one with the gov't mandated liner?

Did I follow that right?

Brian

Old 12-22-2005, 02:36 PM
Tinker Bell
Banned

I have read many articles on this subject and I am trying to find a link to at least one of them. But from what I can remember only about 5% of all helmets passed the test fully and while a large percentage passed parts of the test they failed others. The parameters of possible scenarios are so larg that there is no way to fully meet the standard set forth. DOT certifies helmets based on passing a percentage of the testing. What those are is anyone's guess. The other thing is that, the helmets that are tested are submitted by the manufacturer and may not be representative of the final product. This is just from memory of an article that I read a while back, but it stuck with me because because of the stress that folks put on the use of helmets. I think that any type of protection will help in a low speed crash but at anything above 20 mph I think you could have a steel bucket on your head and if the circumstances are right it will be fatal no matter what. Just my .02

TM

Old 12-22-2005, 02:41 PM
Screamer
Road Captain

Hey Brian,

They will send you a box and return tag for the helmet; they we will update it to an Ext-002 and then send it back to you. They are pretty speedy however, I had to do an exchange in the past and they really had very good service.

I was also confused on the that whole approval thing, but it sounds like the foam in Ext-001 had to be replaced with a material that does not use Freon to blow the foam so they made one without the use of Freon and those helmets failed, but now they make one (Ext-002) without the use of Freon and also gets a passing grade.

Old 12-22-2005, 03:54 PM
mayday
Cruiser

Ok....so I'm trying to track with this information too. So the original helmet using the freon to blow the foam was a fully DOT approved helmet...and that was the model Ext-001...correct? So when they changed to another gas to blow the foam.....was that model listed at Ext-001 as well?? And if that is the case....I guess you call to see if you're helmet failed??

The Ext-002 is all well and good....fully DOT approved?

I assume the change of how the foam was "blown" did not change the size of the helmet?? Wondering if they made that point.

I know I'm asking a lot of questions....so I'm not expecting anyone to go back to ACC....just wondering if I'm tracking with you guys.

And thanks for the efforts to keep us informed.

Old 12-22-2005, 04:24 PM
Cohiba_Joe
Road Captain

Hey mayday.....

I'm on the same thought pattern as you except I was thinking that the "new" EXT-001 which used the non-Freon gas for the foam never made it to production / sales due to it not passing the DOT testing. However, if that was the case what would be the point in recalling the "original" EXT-001 models. So, maybe the "new" EXT-001 did in fact get sold after changing to a different gas. But would it make sense on ACC's part to make a change like that without testing for DOT compliance before selling it? Also wouldn't make sense to make a major change like that without being able to track which EXT-001 helmets are which (original or new). I wouldn't see the point in exchanging out the original EXT-001 just because the foam used Freon to blow it in.....unless the exchange process was all part of the gov't mandated process.

I just tried calling them but no one answered the phone.

Brian

Old 12-22-2005, 05:36 PM
NJSUPERGLIDE
Cruiser

HI All,

Since I started this I had to drag out of my Wife if she had got me one or not fro Christmas.Yes she did,(Good thing I hope) She told me after I let here read this first. My helmet should be here sometime next week.I will have to wait till than to see what the model # is on the tag.Just wanted to THANK everyone for there input and help. I guess it was a good can of worms I opened I hope.That's what this forum is for to help each other out [IMG][/IMG]. I will keep you posted.

Thanks

Frank

Old 12-22-2005, 06:21 PM
mayday
Cruiser

Frank....

You should be ok....seems the info would indicate that thier new helmets are good to go.

Joe....

You and I are definitely tracking on the same wave length. I guess the bottom line issue thats got my questioning......is why would they let the model number remain the same on the non-freon gas helmet for the DOT re-test? Especially since the first Ext-001 had already passed?? Obviously, its much more of an issue for you guys that already have helmets. I've been waiting on thier polo style helmet to go DOT.....and I'm sure that all this stuff is whats delayed that production. I've heard nothing but good reports about the helmets and thier customer service...so I feel confidant that they have this under control.....but you would think that they would get some communication out to all thier existing customer base so as to avoid all this confusion and doubt.

On a side note.....I wonder how the government found out they were using freon in thier injection system?? Did you ever think your helmet would be an enviornmental hazzard and contributing to globle warming??

Old 12-25-2005, 11:16 PM
mayday
Cruiser

Did anyone get any additional "scoop" on this??

After I thought about it some more......I'll bet they never put into production the non-freon liner helmet until they officially passed the DOT test. Sounds like they got the issue fixed and the new Dot approved helmet is now registered as the Ext-002. This would mean that the existing Ext-001 helmets previously purchased are probably Dot certified but now need the new identification of Ext-002 put on the helmet.....make since??

This are still assumptions on my part.....so if anyone got the final word on whats happening.....share with us please.

Thanks!

Old 12-26-2005, 10:46 AM
Cohiba_Joe
Road Captain

Anthony...

I had tried calling them since Thursday when I posted it. Even on Friday I was getting their "Thursday" message. I didn't bother calling over the weekend but will resume tomorrow.

Brian

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Helmet owners