General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather Thickness

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 07:55 AM
IAFatBoy96
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather Thickness

I'm getting ready to buy some chaps and a new leather jacket. I know that you get what you pay for, but I have a question on the thickness of the leather. What would be a good thickness for the leather? Would 1.3 be good?

Old 11-07-2007, 08:02 AM
jose409
Cruiser
Default RE: Leather Thickness

don't know about thickness but don't get one with alot of zippers in the front will let cold air inside

Old 11-07-2007, 08:04 AM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1.3 should be fine.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:10 AM
99_percenter
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: IAFatBoy96

I'm getting ready to buy some chaps and a new leather jacket. I know that you get what you pay for, but I have a question on the thickness of the leather. What would be a good thickness for the leather? Would 1.3 be good?
Leather thickness iscommonly specified in terms of weight. Every ounce of weight is equivalent to 1/64" thickness. The weight of leather used in motorcycle jackets, chaps, vests, gloves and other accessories is determined by the number of ounces that one square foot of material weighs. For example, if a square foot of leather weighs four ounces, it is called 4 oz leather.

Fox Creek Leathers, a company raved about by most on this forum, uses 1.4 to 1.6 in their jackets, 1.6 to 1.8 in their chaps.
Weight doesnt appear to be a factor in their bad *** gloves.

HTH oh ya welcome to the HD forums...

99%r

Old 11-07-2007, 08:12 AM
Cwboyscooby
Tourer

I would want nothing less than 2.5 inches thick. Makes me look bigger...

Old 11-07-2007, 08:14 AM
Fahpah
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree you get what you pay for.

My chaps were a bit pricey at $150 but they are lined, a medium grade thickness of leather, and have an elastic gusset on the inside of the legs at the top. The gusset really makes them easy to get on and off for an oldguy like me.

Make sure on the chaps you dont get them trimmed too short or they will let air inside the bottom of the chap when you ride. I believe when standing the chaps should still touch the ground, someone correct me if that is wrong please.

My leather Jacket has a front zipper but it also has an overlapping flap inside and out, I dont get any air pass through the zipper. Cuffs of your sleeves need to be adjustable to where after you put Jacket on gloves will fit overtop to stop air going up your arms.

Best bet is to try on several before you decide on Jacket or Chaps. Hope that helps.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:44 AM
IAFatBoy96
Advanced

Thanks for the information. Fox Creek is one of the places I will be checking out.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:52 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Another thing to consider. My favorite jacket has a full jacket removable liner (instead of just a vest liner) and also has zippered vents front and rear for hot weather riding. To me they are both important features.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:57 AM
meanbite
Road Warrior

I just bought chaps and a jacket from http://www.schottnyc.com. they will be here tomorrow. Same basic leather stock as Fox Creek. I went with them because of customer service and I really like the Easy Rider jacket.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:58 AM
IAFatBoy96
Advanced

Absolutely! The one that I am looking at does have a zip out liner and is vented. Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply: Leather Thickness