General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For all 96CI owners, anyone having idle problems?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 03:25 AM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts
Default RE: For all 96CI owners, anyone having idle problems?

Well, I took my Hog into OC Harley's service dept to drop it off for tomorrow to have it looked at. Explained to the person writing my ticket up that I have a really high idle with high fuel consumption. All the classic signs of a vacuum leak. Mind you all I called my dad on short notice for a ride HOME from the dealership (I have my bike and bike ONLY right now) and he didnt know the full story as to why I was there. what followed happened because I didnt want to drag my dad into something he didnt know about prior.

I assume the gentleman who jumped into the conversation to be one of the service writers. Asked for the keys and stated after HEARING it run that "it was a poor tune".

Well, I have had this "poor tune" since I installed my stage one myself (SE Intake, Vance and Hines Big Shots with o2 bungs, SERT) in AZ using a precanned generic map that was INCLUDED with my SERT with some fuel enrichment during closed loop operation. This pre canned map WAS NOT altitude specific because the entire premise of the Delphi Fuel Injection system is that it will AUTO COMPENSATE FOR CHANGES in air pressure either due to altitude or weather events. I have had ZERO issues with performance or my tune in BOTH AZ and CA at varying extremes of altitude and temp. It has just been the past couple of days that the IDLE had become very high. Prolly nothing big, just a gasket. Brought it to them with the intent to have it diagnosed. by a TECH. Now a bit of a background on ME.

ASE certified in A8 Engine Perfomance with emphasis on FUEL INJECTION. Lexus certified in Engine Controls with emphasis on FUEL INJECTION.

Granted, I may need to have my bike tuned a bit, that I wont deny. IM sure a precanned map isnt giving me every OUNCE of power I need. But to that end, I have as much power as I WANT, with a fuel mixture that isnt going to burn a hole in my pistons or cause detonation. But to blatantly tell me I need a $400 dollar dyno tune without having a tech LOOK at the bike to diagnose it is TOTAL BS. So the pissed off ***** in me signed the work order with a dyno tune. Why? Because they DONT have my SERT. hehehehe Like I said, I didnt need to drag my dad into the mess with out disclosing why I would have been calling the service writer a total hack and jackass for commiting cardinal sin #1 of Service Writing: DONT DIAGNOSE THE CUSTOMERS VEHICLE. I figured Id let this ***** think he's getting commision on a dyno tune tonight, then cancel the work order tomorrow morning. Very pissed off about my first experience with OC Harley.

So, Im going to call OC Harley and have a friendly chat with their Service Manager tomorrow. Im sure he'll be happy to know his service WRITERS are performing diag on the service drive.

Ill keep yall posted on how it goes.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:27 AM
Firecap501
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problems 9K flawless miles, keep us posted

Old 11-07-2007, 10:00 PM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

Happy ending!

Well, I called this morning and canceled the dyno session. Had them look into the high idle like I inteded them to do. Well, turns out the tech that looked at it was the service manager ( a tech himself before he got promoted)

Turns out it the idle air screw had backed itself out and was holding my throttle plate open. Swear to God I have never messed around with it. The service manager is an alright guy, and got the operation warrantied for me too.

I KNEW it wasnt a tune issue. Should I have been able to figure it out? Yeah, I could have looked at it and fixed it had I taken the time. But i guess I wanted to see how the warranty for my bike would work. Looks like OC Harley has a good man running the service deparment. No complaints after all was said and done today.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:26 PM
BoneCrusher
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you got squared away. If my bike was on fire and the only place in the world I could get some water to put it out was my local dealer's service department I'd let my ride burn lol.