General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD verses Victory

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007 | 10:39 AM
triplj
|
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD verses Victory

I rode a Victory Kingpin this weekend. I have seen a couple of posts on this forum about regretting their HD purchase or complaining about cost, etc. My impressions of the Victory were not complimentary. The fit and finish of the bike just was not up to par with my Heritage. The gear shift linkage did not have a solid feel and the Vic seemed to want to lean side to side - I had to work to keep it balanced a lot more than on my Heritage. I know HD's are more expensive, slower, etc, but I feel that the HD is a much more solid bike. I really feel that I got a lot more bike with HD than I could have got with a Victory. Now, the Vic was stronger and faster and looked like a custom bike, I have to give it that. But, I am happy with my Heritage, even though it cost me about 4K more. Just for the record, I rode this bike because my brother in law is looking for a new bike and wanted a third party to ride it and give him their impressions.

Old 11-05-2007 | 10:55 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: HD verses Victory

You nailed it.

H-D has few peers in terms of fit-n-finish, build quality, materials selection, etc. Very solid bike. They're a pleasure to ride in ways others are not, even if they may be passing us from time to time.

My only regret in buying my H-D is not buying one sooner.

As for Victorys, I've only sat on one, but from that limited impression, I'd agree.

Old 11-05-2007 | 11:36 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've been interested in alot of different bikes over the years but the Victory wasn't one of them.

Old 11-05-2007 | 11:37 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

theres no such thing,, HD vs Vic....!
its Vic imatates HD!

Old 11-05-2007 | 11:37 AM
Helix
Tourer

Before I bought my FXSTC I road the 8-ball and Kingpin. Your observations are 100% accurate.
The Victory felt plasticy ( if thats a word ) and cheaply built.All in All its a nice looking bike though.
Having said that I wont be trading in my HD for one. I am glad they are an American company and I wish them all the luck in thier future.We need another great american motorcycle company thats for sure!

Old 11-05-2007 | 11:38 AM
Candy Azz
Banned

Plus their styling looks cheap, plastic-like and out-dated.

Old 11-05-2007 | 11:41 AM
97FXSTSB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Victory is America's metric. I've ridden a few. Fast but clunky trannys and hard-to-find neutrals. Not anywhere close to being in the same class as H-D.

Old 11-05-2007 | 11:51 AM
1200babe
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my HD but recently rode a friends Victory Kingpin and loved the bike. The fit and finish was fabulous- no bumpy welds any where on the frame- all was smoothed out and properly finished off. The guages were easy to read, the bike shifted well and handled great in the mountain twisties. The big motor gave plenty of power going up hill and had rapid acceleration.The Arlene Ness editons are just plain georgeous and all models offer a lot of accessories. I say hooray for choices. I just plain love almost anything on 2 wheels, irregardless of where it is made. I will never be so close minded to think just one brand of bike is the entire world.

Old 11-05-2007 | 11:52 AM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior

I agree. Some of them look OK, kind of factory custom. But the materials are second rate. Too much plastic chrome on the bike. That's what I can't stand about jap cruisers, all that cheap plastic chrome.You'd think Victory would put some real metal trimon that thing. And the signature of most bikes is the air intake, which on a Victory is hardly even visible. It's this black plastic box under the front of the tank. Yeesh.

Engine and drivetrain seem to be pretty good for the long haul. At least it's built an American bike, built by Americans for an American company so I like that. Just not my thing.

Old 11-05-2007 | 11:54 AM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior

I will never be so close minded to think just one brand of bike is the entire world.
No one is saying that one brand is the entire world. But I don't like all music, I don't like all foods, all cars, and I certainly don't like all motorcycles.

Quick Reply: HD verses Victory