General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD verses Victory

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008 | 08:14 AM
Lopoetve
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: HD verses Victory

ORIGINAL: Ozmodius

ORIGINAL: pip369

I totally agree. I have owned 3 HD's. If HD wasn't around it would be Vic or Indian for me. The only rice grinder I will ride is my dirt bikes. (Are there any american made dirt bikes out there???) Nothing against foriegn street bikesthey are just not for me.

[sm=biker2.gif]
I love mysport ... but I gota be honest, I've done my research. You see, I'm a true proponent of buy American. I'm a veteran and I belive that if we keep shipping our money oversea's there wont be any left here. My next bike will be a Victory, as of today 92% of all Harley's are made in japan (2% in china), the rest here in the USA. All of them are assembled here, but it still has japanese carbs and pipes and seats and forks and shocks and wheels and pistons and on and on.... 32% of the Victory is made in America, which is the most american vehicle you can buy today... not even chevy or ford can claim that. I could give a rats *** if its plastic, it rides well, handles well, and is proven for the long haul. I wont be selling my sportster, hell he and I have 16 years of history... but my next one will be "More American"
Given that source country has to be disclosed, and it isn't 92%, I ask for proof, and not from joe. Go find some real information.

Old 05-14-2008 | 10:32 AM
Lopoetve
Road Master

ORIGINAL: cbigbie191

Well, we seem to all be talking about Victory bikes. So there doing something right. BTW they are the fastest growing motorcycle company over the past 5 years. Of course none of you will believe that but it's true. And Victories are cheaper than HD's because they do not require the mandatory stage 1 upgrade. Stock vic's have 85-hp and 105 torque, stage one Vic's get about 98-hp and 120 torque. And BTW a stage 1 for a Victory is $600.00 installed no dyno required. They are a better buy, but you still wont like them. Well, at least HD has a better forum.
I don't like them because they're a boring and uninspiring ride with a total lack of soul or heritage at all, not to mention that the dealers simply suck. And if all I wanted was power I'd buy an R1 for half the cost of a road king.

Old 05-14-2008 | 10:48 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

Man, what an interesting thread... From HD vs. Victory to America vs. Japan to HD against the world!

Old 05-14-2008 | 01:04 PM
Butt Ugly
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a co worker that has a Victory Vegas. I have ridden it and he has ridden my FXDB. I found the shifting sloppy, and I could not get comfortable, so I really didn't enjoy the ride too much. I did notice the power curve was pretty torquey though, but I wasn't going to jump on somebody elses bike and nail it. Especially since we were riding together. I personally would not buy one, at least a Vegas.
His impression of mine? He said he liked it. Wished his sounded the same and the only thing negative was that he didn't care for my bars ( I have Carlinis that allow me to sit up straight) and I told him his bike was nice, but the length of his tank was a stretch for me and I would have to change the bars if it were mine.
Whatta ya gonna say? It just didn't do it for me and he paid right about the same as I did for my street bob. To each his own as they say.

Old 05-16-2008 | 02:35 AM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a few minor things like engine cases and cylinders.
Didn't I read somewhere that the Harley cases are made by Kiekhaufer AKA Mercury Marine in Wisconsin?

I used to like the Victory KP but wanted something with REAL bags. Have you seen that so-called KP Tourer?
They should have aborted that baby. What an eyesore.
IMO, Vics look too much like semi-customs. I'm not into that look.

CN

Old 05-16-2008 | 07:30 AM
bruder
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked at victory and then did my homework on them,victory is made my polaris which is owned by the fuji corporation,which also ownes suzuki and subaru.they have also issued a major recall on all victories from 2000-2008. I will stay with my harley.

Old 05-16-2008 | 08:58 AM
sherif
Advanced

Not a bad looking bike for $19K. They aren't cheap but it would be a $30K Big Dog or $40K HD. 1640 cc is a pretty big block for a light scoot like that. I'll bet it moves. I'd be open minded to owning one. I believe since they're American made they hold their value like the HD.

Old 05-16-2008 | 11:36 AM
Lopoetve
Road Master

value holds based on pre-owned salability. The Victory doesn't have it - value drops like a rock.

Old 05-16-2008 | 01:19 PM
hdbiker
Banned

ORIGINAL: bruder

I looked at victory and then did my homework on them,victory is made my polaris which is owned by the fuji corporation,which also ownes suzuki and subaru.they have also issued a major recall on all victories from 2000-2008. I will stay with my harley.
Polaris is a publicly traded company, symbol PII. What's your source for this information?

Old 05-16-2008 | 01:35 PM
Lopoetve
Road Master

ORIGINAL: hdbiker

ORIGINAL: bruder

Polaris is a publicly traded company, symbol PII. What's your source for this information?
Publicly traded can mean anything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuji_Heavy_Industries

From looking at things, Fuji was their sole supplier of engines till recently, and now is a 60% owner of the engine manufacturing group (Robin).

Quick Reply: HD verses Victory