General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD verses Victory

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007 | 10:11 AM
Ozmodius
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HD verses Victory

ORIGINAL: Snydcat
I would like to know where you got your information!
Its history. Its how HD avoided bankruptcy in 81. In order to remain competive after a looong stretch of shi^^y products (69 - 80/81) it "outsourced" certain parts. To start with brakes, forks, shocks, carburetors, electric componentsand wheels where imported starting in 81.... more parts have been imported every year since. A good friend of mine works in a shop, he stated its exactly 92% japan, 2% china and 6% American. Joe's never lied to me. Its a sad fact .. but a fact none the less.

Old 11-06-2007 | 11:57 AM
Snydcat
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ozmodius

ORIGINAL: Snydcat
I would like to know where you got your information!
Its history. Its how HD avoided bankruptcy in 81. In order to remain competive after a looong stretch of shi^^y products (69 - 80/81) it "outsourced" certain parts. To start with brakes, forks, shocks, carburetors, electric componentsand wheels where imported starting in 81.... more parts have been imported every year since. A good friend of mine works in a shop, he stated its exactly 92% japan, 2% china and 6% American. Joe's never lied to me. Its a sad fact .. but a fact none the less.
OK .......because Joe said so

Old 11-06-2007 | 12:28 PM
Helix
Tourer

Gheesh where you guys been? Joe's been the Minister of Information for as long as I can remember!
When Joe speaks ............people Listen just like EF Hutton .

Old 11-06-2007 | 01:42 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ozmodius

ORIGINAL: pip369

I totally agree. I have owned 3 HD's. If HD wasn't around it would be Vic or Indian for me. The only rice grinder I will ride is my dirt bikes. (Are there any american made dirt bikes out there???) Nothing against foriegn street bikesthey are just not for me.

[sm=biker2.gif]
I love mysport ... but I gota be honest, I've done my research. You see, I'm a true proponent of buy American. I'm a veteran and I belive that if we keep shipping our money oversea's there wont be any left here. My next bike will be a Victory, as of today 92% of all Harley's are made in japan (2% in china), the rest here in the USA. All of them are assembled here, but it still has japanese carbs and pipes and seats and forks and shocks and wheels and pistons and on and on.... 32% of the Victory is made in America, which is the most american vehicle you can buy today... not even chevy or ford can claim that. I could give a rats *** if its plastic, it rides well, handles well, and is proven for the long haul. I wont be selling my sportster, hell he and I have 16 years of history... but my next one will be "More American"
I sure would like to see a fact sheet on that bunch of b.s.

The cast wheels, as an example, come from Harley's factory in Australia..... Brembo brakes, Italian company, with plants in nine countries, including the U.S. Progress Casting's (Mn based) new plant in Iowa is supplying Harley with aluminum castings....Now, I wonder what parts they are making? Just a few minor things like engine cases and cylinders...a very small part on a motorcycle.....
My '06 mufflers are stamped USA.....Anyone that has taken the Harley factory tours can fill you in on the other major parts manufactured right there....like pipes and frames and engines and gas tanks....plus the in house chroming of numerous parts.
WAFI

Old 11-06-2007 | 02:27 PM
dstockton
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've ridden a few Victoriesand they seemed closer in feel to the metric cruisers I had than my Harleys.
Victories have no resale value in my area. You buy one, you're stuck with it. IMO, they have a tough marketing job to do. The earlier ones had some mechanical issues which didn't make owners happy. The first dealer in Memphis went out of business in a year. The newer ones, while being better quality and better styling are priced in between Harleys and metric cruisers. Someone wanting a Harley is not likely to settle for a Victory. On the other hand someone looking at a Victory might just decide to buy that Japanese cruiser for thousands less.

Old 11-06-2007 | 03:38 PM
hondo96inch
Cruiser

Victorys have such a styling advantage over hd. They are flowing and clean. Most hds have none of this and added chrome makes them worse.

Last year I saw two of my neighbors getting ready for a ride. One had a chromed out wide glide and the other an 8 ball. The glide looked like a morphed pinball machine in comparison - pitiful.
I have no idea where the plastic comments come from either. Victory styling rocks [other than the alien looking vision - wtf?] and they use first rate components.

I was scoping out the vics and hondas at the local shop in topeka the other day. In came two of our fine motorcycle cops. Lucky bastards get to ride nice black 103 inchers with air seats every day.
They removed their lids, went straight to the vics, and joined me in the drooling session.

Old 11-06-2007 | 05:49 PM
Candy Azz
Banned

hondo96inch, found you a new home...

http://www.thevmc.com/start.html

Enjoy. We'll see ya later!

p.s. Turn in your *****. You won't be needing them anymore.

Old 11-06-2007 | 06:09 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love how people come in here sign a new account and then spout off crap that they have no idea what they are saying. Ignorance is so obvious.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 11-07-2007 | 06:02 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

The one thing I have never done is compare any other bike to a Harley,just because there is No Comparison.A Harley is a Harley Period.all other brands can say the same about their brands.Period.

Old 11-07-2007 | 07:58 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've kept my eye on Victory for many years. I owned two Polaris jet skis and loved them both. The local dealership is a bunch of good guys and I have a friend that has an early Victory that is styled like a Road King or Heritage Softail.
When I finally decided to buy another bike this year i was going for the Vegas Jackpot but ater talking to my bud that owns a Vic I decided to get the Harley. I made the right decision for me.

Quick Reply: HD verses Victory