Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where To File An "Official" Helmet Complaint with the NHTSA

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 01:13 AM
bikeraccsurvivor
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where To File An "Official" Helmet Complaint with the NHTSA

Hey Bikers!

Please pass this message on to everyone you know who rides a motorcycle, and ask them to pass it along to at least 5 more bikers. We need to spread the word to every motorcyclist in the country.
For years, we have been complaining about motorcycle helmets and about mandatory helmet laws, and for years, the government has not listened. They continue to force helmets onto our heads whether we like it or not.

It is time to COMPLAIN LOUDLY and OFTEN. Here’s how:
The government has a computer system where we should all be filing our complaints. It is relatively unused. After several years, there are only about 20 complaints about motorcycle helmets on file.
Let’s change that. Let’s let the government know every complaint we have about helmets. Let’s let them know how we do not like to be forced to wear helmets. We must complain loudly and often, or else they will think we are complacent.
Please file a complaint about your helmet now.
If you are fed up with helmets and mandatory helmet laws, and are ready to file a complaint right now, visit the NHTSA ODI Complaint Site at
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov

This campaign started on Halloween. In the first 48 hours it has already doubled the number of "official" complaints over the last 12 years. It wasn't difficult to do, because not many people knew where to go to file an "official" complaint. Soon we hope every biker, motorcyclist, and motorcycle enthusiast knows and files a complaint about every helmet they have and don't like for whatever reason.

While there, please check the recall data. Over 500,000 recalled helmets are potentially in use, because the recall process is no good, and bad helmets are not accounted for. Many have all the right "DOT" labeling. Some full-face helmets have been recalled. FMVSS 218 is a farce! Manufacturers self-certify and put their helmets on the market. This is like the FDA not testing a drug, then forcing people to take it. Then later, the helmets might get recalled, but it is extremely rare that anyone ever gets notified. 32,052 Fullmer helmets were deemed to not conform with FMVSS 218 in June 2006, but were allowed to delay beginning recalls until February 2007. AFX FX3 supposedly recalled potentially 39,378 helmets in March 2003, but my friend bought one still in its' box last month, and it's got all the DOT labels.

Here is my view of things:
According to the NHTSA, the use of "DOT" helmets has increased, and the motorcycle death toll climbed for the ninth straight year. The latest NHTSA news is a deal with China regarding motor vehicles and safety equipment, (that should give everyone a warm fuzzy feeling, NOT). The DOT secretary who is supposedly an avid motorcycle enthusast, clipped her front tire against the motorcycle in front of her, and went down, and thanks her helmet and issues a well-publicized PSA which does not mention her novice skills. The NHTSA cherry-picks the best data to create a "shock" message, as they do every year, to get the public (the majority voters in our democracy) all charged up against bikers. They want every state to mandate universal helmet laws, but Congress does not let them spend taxpayer money to lobby for legislation. So, they get their friends from the various governors highway safety programs, (who receive NHTSA funding and pass along a tiny portion to MRO's that run training courses). The GHSP talks legislators into introducing bills, but in almost all states, the SMRO's stand against helmets, regardless. Now, the NHTSA has the US DOT secretary and NTSB doing their lobbying for them.

Visit Bikers of Lesser Tolerance (B.O.L.T.) for more information at http://boltusa.org
[b]This action is inspired by fre

Old 11-04-2007, 02:58 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Where To File An "Official" Helmet Complaint with the NHTSA

Great info... I personally do not like to wear a helmet... instead of the attitude of dressing and riding as if I am going to lay it down... I ride and dress as if I will NOT lay it down... for the last 45 years this attitude has worked for me... 1 accident just this year when I was rear ended by a drunk driver while I was waiting for a light to turn green. The first thing I heard after being hit was "where's your helmet"... WTF go catch the drunk who hit me... that's right, she fled the scene because it would turn out to be her second DUI with an accident in two years... but I digress. The issue is... I SHOULD HAVE THE RIGHT TO DECIDE FOR MYSELF IF I WISH TO WEAR PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT OR NOT... the insurance companies want us to wear protective gear to reduce their exposure if an accident should occur... bottom line it's always about the money.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:11 AM
ditch_dgr
Road Master

These threads are as irritating as the chaps, fingerless glove, waving threads. If you don't want to wear a helmet, don't but just like you don't like me telling you the reasons you should wear one I don't want to hear you telling me that I shouldn't.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:32 AM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: handyhoward

.......instead of the attitude of dressing and riding as if I am going to lay it down... I ride and dress as if I will NOT lay it down..
Yep, so did I for the past 31 years, until this summer, now my face is permanently paralyzed and I have at least 6 surgeries ahead of me. I agree with Bikers Rights....but you'll sure as hell wonder about your own personal decision when you put a 2 inch crack in your skull.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:54 AM
WaterBuffalo
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: ditch_dgr

These threads are as irritating as the chaps, fingerless glove, waving threads. If you don't want to wear a helmet, don't but just like you don't like me telling you the reasons you should wear one I don't want to hear you telling me that I shouldn't.
i dunno, i didn't take it as a post telling you why you shouldn't wear a helmet, just giving info if you want to try to make a difference in the laws. if you don't mind helmet laws, then this post probably doesn't apply to you. i find it irritating that people have to assume all threads are directed at them personally. not all threads apply to everyone, read what interests you!

Old 11-04-2007, 05:48 PM
bikeraccsurvivor
Novice

This thread isNOT aboutHelmet Use. It's about Unsafe Helmets and where to complain about them, and Helmet Laws.

Garry Van Kirk
Bikers Accident Survivor Forum
www.bacsuv.com
bikeraccsurvivor@bacsuv.com
Supporting Our Right to Ride, Supporting Bikers In their Time Of Need.
" You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom."
~Clarence Darrow~

Old 11-05-2007, 12:52 AM
bikeraccsurvivor
Novice

NHTSA ODI Complaint Site at: www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov then go to "continue with complaint" and it takes you through the steps from here: www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/...nsumer.cfm You'll need to follow the steps. You have to input your make and model of helmet...

1. go to" FILE A COMPLAINT "
2. Equipment
3 continue with complaint
4 fill out personal info
5 enter the complaint details and then click on "Proceed" to select a Complaint Type
6 Select Complaint Type mark= Equipment
7 Equipment Information ( example KBC ) hit GO
this will take you through the make and model
8 proceed

Old 11-05-2007, 05:48 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can do whatever you wish regarding wearing your helmet... we are trying to maintain the freedom of choice for those of us who do not want to wear them... if the thread bores you, excercise your right to skip it... you do NOT have to read it..............