General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley bashing MSF instructors

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007 | 02:45 PM
MyFirstHD
Road Master
Default RE: Harley bashing MSF instructors

It's not the brand, it's the size of the bike. What if new riders were buying brand new GW's. Would they bash Honda? My first bike wasn't a HD because I couldn't find a mid-sized one for $1000. Heck, the small Sportser is a lot better first bike than a 1100 Shadow and new they cost about the same.

Old 11-02-2007 | 03:10 PM
swestbrook60
Outstanding HDF Member

I took the MSF from a non-Harley related company here in Houston, and both instructors rode sport bikes. There was no promotion of any type or brand of bike, and no bashing of any as well. The bikes we trained on were different as well, you were told to select a bike closest to the type you will be riding. There were no Harley's of course but they had small crusiers, small sport bikes, and even a scooter if that is what you were going to ride. In my opinion, the instuctors treated everything on two wheels as the same.

The only time they were critical of anything was when two sport bikes drove by the training area and upon seeing the class they hot-rodded down the road on one wheel. One of the instuctors had less than complimentary things to say about people like those two.

Old 11-02-2007 | 03:14 PM
Hamilton
Tourer

I was at the dog park lettingthe pups run around and some Ducati loser went on and on about how crappy Harleys were. Finally I butted in and said, "Well, after all that chatter you've madewe have all learned that.....you...have an opinion."

Old 11-02-2007 | 03:19 PM
EZ2Rider
Road Master

Everyone outside of us hates Harleys in the same way most outside the US hate our Country. Its a ***** envy thing.So, ride loudly and carry a big...................

EZ

Old 11-02-2007 | 03:44 PM
mknoxcpa
Novice

Every make has it's own peculiar weaknesses and prejudices among it's riders. Most of it is ignorance and some of the weaknesses are easier to deal with. I would rather deal with heat and have a dealer in most towns, than I would to ride without worrying about heat, and have my dealer a state away when I break down....

Old 11-02-2007 | 03:44 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member

ORIGINAL: EZ2Rider

Everyone outside of us hates Harleys in the same way most outside the US hate our Country. Its a ***** envy thing.So, ride loudly and carry a big...................

EZ
Right on

Old 11-02-2007 | 03:57 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

As a former MSF instuctor, I would advise towaste no time filing a complaint about any instructor "knocking" any brand of bike. Part of their training is to be neutral in such matters. The instructor also apparently lost control of the class, as discussion certainly deviated from the curriculum--side cars and trailers are not mentioned anyplace in the basic course.

Harley's course is also taught by MSF instructors, btw.

In the advanced course, when students ride their own bikes, the low speed handling of the Harleys was usually vastly superior to most other heavy tour bikes, due to their low center of gravity.

One memorable class, however, was an exception. It was the first weekend of Sturgis, and a main road across Mn to I-90 went right past our training range. Someone had made a joke about Harleys being in the back of pickups, and sure enough, we saw pickup after pickup going by all weekend, with Harleys in the back!

Old 11-02-2007 | 04:00 PM
JohnT
Road Master

These types of threads bring out the most bizarre responses. What difference does it make what someone else says about Harleys? It's a motorcycle, a possession not unlike your TV set, your car, truck washing machine, dog, and everything else you own or owe money on. Do you defend your choices in those areas as vehemently? I doubt it. Something about owning a Harley brings out the best, and worst, in some people. Give it a rest. It's a motorcycle. There is no 'Harley' family, no brotherhood, just Harley marketing. Ride and enjoy and don't sweat the small stuff.

Old 11-02-2007 | 04:04 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

One of the things with the MSF course, John, is there is a lot of information crammed into a very short period, especially in the classroom. If discussions are deviated away from the curriculem, something important is not being covered properly. Part of the instructors job is to keep the class on track, and to make sure no one walks away feeling like they got slammed for their choice of bikes.

Old 11-02-2007 | 04:08 PM
triplj
Cruiser

The instructors in my MSF class were a husband and wife team. Each had a Harley - I even ran into them at Biketoberfest. I can't remember if they waved or not!! LOL!!

Quick Reply: Harley bashing MSF instructors