General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Started looking at Harleys, now I can't decide!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 03:30 PM
tattoo13
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Started looking at Harleys, now I can't decide!

Started looking at Harleys on kind of a lark, I have a Kawasaki ZRX1200R that I love, and my wife hates. She has never told me to get rid of it, but she has said she does not like it because she has a feeling I am going to get hurt on it. So the other day I road my Nephews new Night Train, and I liked it, hell I like riding any bike.
Well the wife comes up with the offer that if I sell my Kawi I can buy any Harley I want (under $20,000), with her full blessing.
Here is the problem I went onto Harley's site to look at the Night Trains and found that I also like the Street Bobs a lot.
Then I go to the dealer and find that I think the Street Glides are also badass.
So now I am stuck I think I am mainly torn between the Night Train and the Street Bob, not sure if I want to dive into a bagger for my first Harley.
I love the lines of the Night Train and the 200 tire is sweet butI hate the rear fender.
I love most of the Street Bob but it feels small, I am thinking that is because of the Mid Mount controls.
I am going nuts over this!!
My productivity has been ZERO since this weekend!
Weird since I have not really wanted a Harley since I was a kid, but now I am stuck on them!!
Any opinions, other than seeing a shrink?
And just incase anyone was wondering here is a picture of my Kawasaki:

Old 11-01-2007, 03:34 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts
Default RE: Started looking at Harleys, now I can't decide!

See if you can take them both out for a test ride (all three, including the Street Glide!), back to back. I'd make my decision based on that.

Just remember, if there is something you don't like about a stock bike, you can always modify it.

That Kawi is a pretty cool looking bike also! Keep that for a second bike!

Old 11-01-2007, 03:41 PM
Dinger
Road Master

As a current owner of a 2002 ZRX1200-R with over 27,000 miles on it. I know the feeling.

I would recommend a softail as your first HD experience. I chose the Heritage Softail Classic. Others will give you their opinions and they'll all be good.Take your time, read the forums and periodicals about the various models and the accessories offered on each. Find your taste and modify your HDaccordingly! Ask lots of questions, go to the dealer and look at as many bikesas you can before you settle on a perticular bike. You can even rent a HD and get the feel.

Do NOT trade the ZRX in on your purchase. Unfortunately, resale isn't very good on this bike. That's why I still have mine in the garage! Besides, I still love it!

Good luck on your decision!

Old 11-01-2007, 04:13 PM
fangendorf
Advanced

How about the new Fat Bob that can be equiped with either mid or forward controls? Seems like a perfect compromise.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:21 PM
guitarman777
Road Captain

Attaway fangendorf. Good suggestion. Definitely look at the Fat Bob.

They've got versions in both mid- and forward-controls, so you'd be set with the forward version. 180mm rear tire coupled with a 130mm front provides better handling, supposedly to draw sportbike riders over. Rear fender is similar to the Night Train but much smoother and subtler in the lines, much more attractive IMHO. You'll get a good portion of the feel you liked in the Street Bob but with forward controls, and you'll have a better looking bike (again, IMHO) than the Night Train, at least in the rear fender. (Sorry, Night Train guys!)

Old 11-01-2007, 04:53 PM
NorCalDyna
Cruiser

The mid-mounts are probably what make the Street Bob feel smaller to you. Slap some forward controls on that sucker and it will feel much roomier. I personally prefer the Dynas to the Softails, but that's just me.

Also, I would really really recommend at least giving serious consideration to the "baggers", whether it be a Road King, Street Glide, Electra Glide or Road Glide. These are seriously nice bikes and handle much better than you might imagine. In the end, my advice is decide with your a**, not your eyes. In other words, buy the one that feels the best to you even if you don't think it's the best looking.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:57 PM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

I bought a NT in 05', I'd say if you get settled on a model theres tons of bikes at a good price on ebay. lots of lawyers and doctors buy em and they sit for two years with barley 3000 miles on em. You can get lots of nice stuff already done. OR buy a new one and slap those forward mounts on it.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:59 PM
HDRick
Road Warrior

Good advice, "ride them all and let your a$$ decide". No regrets if you ride them all at least once.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:00 PM
MarAgt
Banned Camp

Crypto had good advice... If you have the time and they'll let you do it, try before you ride.

Also, look around at used HD's. You can find a lot of nice one or two year old HD's w/low, low miles. Many will already be pimped for less than new.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:07 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I believe most dealers will refund your cost of rental if you buy a new bike from them. I never inquired but could they agree to let you try out several different models in one single day for the cost of one days rental ??

Quick Reply: Started looking at Harleys, now I can't decide!