General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Started looking at Harleys, now I can't decide!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 08:47 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: Started looking at Harleys, now I can't decide!

you have caught harley fever...an affliction that causes a normally sane and sensible man to turn into a wide eyed, drooling,impulsive, overspending,freak.....although there is no known cure other than a HD purchase, stepping back and taking a deep breath will buy you some time tojudge the different models....may God have mercy on ya

Old 11-01-2007, 08:58 PM
DougsDyna
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get any Harley, and you will not need the shrink........ At least that is what my shrink told me

DougJ

Old 11-01-2007, 09:04 PM
Hogaholic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im partial to the Heritage.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:21 PM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 856 Likes on 297 Posts

Street Glide will have to be used, you pick that your definatelythere in Harley land!......You do not catch them new in 08 for 20K..... I think its a chance to move from your teenage years.....and into the torque years! Softail any style great bike!

Old 11-01-2007, 10:33 PM
JeffreyLebowski
Road Captain

tattoo-

Love your ZRX- don't get rid of it, you'll miss it. I'd buy it from you if I could. I had a blue 2003 ZRX for a while. I wouldn't mind having another one someday. Your bike looks good without the square headlight/mini fairing on it. There's a small handful of current or ex-ZRX owners around here.

As far as getting a Harley, my advice would be to buy a gently used bike from a private owner. There are lots of them out there, and if you do your homework you can save a ton of cash. Harleys don't hold their value the way they used to, so you might as well take advantage of that fact. You'll have to figure which model though- happy hunting.

Old 05-25-2008, 02:33 PM
Fatboy105
6th Gear

I started on an '06 Sportster a couple of years ago and then proceeded to rent bikes when I traveled. My friend and I rented Street Bobs, Wide Glides, V-Rods and Fatboys. For my size and the kind of riding I do, all kinds, I went with the Fatoby and took delivery a few weeks ago. If your looking for something that handles well and can tour with only a couple of additions, go with a softail. If you want the most agile bike, go with a Dyna. I found the softail, specifically the Fatbot to give me the best of both worlds. You will also need to consider a Fl (floor boards) or an FX (pegs). I like the FL models because they put you somewhere in between fwd controls and med controls. The looks of the bike are also important. Do you like the exposed rear shocks? Or more of a rigid (softail) look? I like both and finally decided it didn't matter anymore. So much to think about...

Old 05-25-2008, 05:20 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is that $20k limit for the bike or is that suppose to include the accessories?

Old 05-25-2008, 08:52 PM
dleeds
Cruiser

Try to give the Fat Bob a demo if you can, you might be surprised. When I got mine it was down to the Night Train and the Fat Bob (and a Rocker until I sat on one), Fat Bob won me over... My friends that ride RK's and Softtails try mine and always comment on how good it handles, and the nice comfy seat. Plus it just looks good, but I am biased.... It's all down to which onefits the best for you and what you want to do with it.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:08 AM
kwoozn
Road Captain

Relax, the thread is six months old!
He already made a purchase!

Old 05-26-2008, 08:07 AM
RockyTopRider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

1st decide if you like chrome. if ya do throw out the train. i am partial to softtails. most likely to replace my wreckedheritage with a nt. oh yea if she has that feeling respect it. my wife knows how much i love to ride and can't wait for me to heal and get back out there.. good luck you will be happy with any of em.

Quick Reply: Started looking at Harleys, now I can't decide!