General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Started looking at Harleys, now I can't decide!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Storm 4 U
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Started looking at Harleys, now I can't decide!

If your wife likes to ride then I would get the Street Glide
That bike has great looks, lends itself to some nice customizing
and would be comfortable for her too. And you would be amazed
at how valuable the bags become on longer rides
Good luck with the purchase whatever you decide and welcome
to the world of Harley Davidson. You and your wife are going to meet some dam nice people

Old 11-01-2007, 05:15 PM
Ezy_43
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No kidding. Buy a used one if your not in a huge hurry. I paid 4k less for mine than what the dealer wanted. I bought my bike with 800 miles on it.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:15 PM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck, it took me over 6 months to decide on a model...then, new or used

Old 11-01-2007, 05:18 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

it a hard decision ride them all if you can and dont be afraid of buying an 05 or 06 you can save alot of money and you can find parts dirtcheap on ebay.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:25 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

ORIGINAL: whaap

I believe most dealers will refund your cost of rental if you buy a new bike from them. I never inquired but could they agree to let you try out several different models in one single day for the cost of one days rental ??
Good point. I know that Chandler HD and Chesters HD here in Phoenix both well let you try out different models in a 1 day rental. It'll probably cost you around $200 for the day (I'm sure they'd charge the highest rate of all the bikes you'd try), but as whaap said most dealers will refund the rental cost.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:29 PM
motorups
Advanced

Not sure I'm buying what your wife is selling you. If she thinks that simply by switching rides your risk of dealth is less then that does not add up to me. I would also think...down the road she would start to worry about you riding the harley. Could be wrong.

Yes, do demo rides if offered and maybe rent some or just ride your nephews some more to ensure you really want one especially if you sell or trade in your current ride. A harley is great fun I would say but make sure your doing it forthe right reason,one that will be true down the road (be it your wifes or your own).

Old 11-01-2007, 05:39 PM
NorCalDyna
Cruiser

I understand where the wife is coming from. The simple act of switching bikes doesn't necessarily make the rider safer, but the reality is that for lots of folks it is easier and more enjoyable to ride at a relaxed pace on an HD than it is on something like a ZRX1200. In my own case, when I bought my Dyna I had been riding a BMW R1150R for a few years. That BMW is nowhere near as fast as the ZRX1200, but it still had a quality to it that made me treat many of my rides as an excuse to "push it". On that BMW, I just always found myself charging around corners, accelerating hard down straights, etc.. When I got on my HD, I found that I almost always rode within the speed limit and just took my time getting places. The BMW may be technically "safer" (i.e. stronger brakes, better suspension, etc.), but I'd bet I am actually safer on my HD because I ride it much slower. In any case, I find my HD to be more fun riding the speed limit than my BMW was under any circumstances outside of full tilt boogie.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:47 PM
tattoo13
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: motorups

Not sure I'm buying what your wife is selling you. If she thinks that simply by switching rides your risk of dealth is less then that does not add up to me. I would also think...down the road she would start to worry about you riding the harley. Could be wrong.
Most Women I may be worried about motives, but mine is pretty genuine, she has never asked me to sell it, but now she sees this as a compromise, I have a Kawasaki Vulcan 1600, and she says she never worries about me when I am out on that. She rides also, so i know she does not want me to stop riding.

I am going to try and go test drive all three on Tuesday, I am off that day so it may work out.
I am friends with a salesman at the local dealer so I am hoping he we hook me up.
I am pretty sure I will be happy on a Harley, I ride my Vulcan more than the ZRX and for some reason I always ride laid back and slow on the Vulcan, I can't think of a time I have been on the ZRX in the last year that I have not hit 120, or at least 70 on the rear tire

I am excited so I hope I can hold out for a good deal!!

Old 11-01-2007, 05:53 PM
CKinAZ
Road Master

Demo, rent, then buy.

I looked at everything HD offers. Rode about 8 of them. Loved the baggers and that was that. It's a very personal decision and will depend on what you're buying the bike for in the first place. I commute and road trip with mine. Love every minute of it too!

Old 11-01-2007, 05:56 PM
Cwboyscooby
Tourer

I would recommend one of the baggers. You can strip em down when you dont need the luggage, and have em handy when you need em. They actually ride and control MUCH better than you'd expect.

Quick Reply: Started looking at Harleys, now I can't decide!