General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bad knees

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 08:07 PM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: bad knees

Have arthritis in both kness and was on the verge of having an osteoplasty procedure done where a wedge is cut out of your shin bone just below the knee to change the angle of the bone in the socket. Doc said to take heavier doses of glucosamine chondroitin and come back in 8 weeks. I did that, plus added hylauronic acid and omega 3 fish oil along with type B collagen. Got enough synovial fluid built up to ease the pain and avoid the surgery. Fluid is continuing to build slowly. In March, I was taking stairs one at a time. Got feeling too much better and tore a miniscus in my better knee this summer. Had it scoped and was back on the bike in a week.
The idea behind the osteoplasty was to relieve the pressure on the knee by increasing the distance between the bones. The next step would have been synovic injections and then a replacement after that as a last procedure. Doc figured that doing it this way would get me ten years before I needed a replacement. I'm 62, but in excellent shape and extremely active in addition to the heavy work I do. So far, so good and good luck to anybody else who has this.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:42 PM
Drum
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Man I thought my knees were bad but you guys are freaking me out withh all this talk

Old 11-02-2007, 12:11 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

left-side: full ACL tear/repair

right-side: MCL and meniscus

the legacy of high school and collegiate ski racing, and a few fast years in the infantry...

But, yes, the knees do hurt a bit after an hour or more on the bike, changing foot position won't do it: need to walk around a bit. Thank goodness riding is never as bad as a long airplane flight, though.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:53 AM
unclekunkle
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got what the wife calls, Kneezles ... both of em... thats why I got a RG with hiway pegs, feels good!

Old 11-02-2007, 12:58 AM
JohnC88
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Four knee surgeries. Two left, two right. The first one was 35 years ago. They cut me open for a torn meniscus. Last three have been scoped in the last seven years. I've had numerous Synvisc shots and my left knee just started seriously hurting this week for no apparent reason. Got an appointment to see the doc for it.

Did you want to hear about my three wrist surgeries (two plates, 14 screws) and my shoulder surgery?

I'm 55 but thankful I'm not as bad off as people with serious medical problems.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:32 AM
nidan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had bad knees since I was a teen , tore them up as a result of sports along with a wrist and shoulder, and back. (and 17 broken bones).

I'm in my early 50's and Glucosamine/Chrondroitin is a fact of life along with Advil/Aleve. I work out regularly and it helps . The effects of joint damage just gets worse with age, surgery can helpalthoughis not a complete cure.

stay active and it is tolerable