Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ACC Carbon Fiber Helmets - disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 11:55 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ACC Carbon Fiber Helmets - disappointed

I know, I know, the last thing we need is another helmet thread. And, I am not trying to start a bash-fest, just stating my honest opinion here.

A few weeks before the Myrtle Fall Rally I created a thread regarding DOT approved helmets and avoiding the good old mushroom head. There was a lot of good feedback and most people recommended carbon fiber DOT approved half helmets by ACC. So, I went to the website and asked if they would be represented in Myrtle Beach. I was forwarded to a company called Iron Braid. I contacted Iron Braid by email and they responded that they would be at Myrtle Beach HD and they would have some of the helmets available for fitment. They were there and they did have the helmets. I was really looking forward to trying them out based on what I read here and saw on their website. So, I picked a few up, looked in the mirror, and guess what - still had the shroom-head. With that said, the helmets do seem less thick than ordinary half helmets but still nothing like a novelty helmet to me. However, I think one could get one a size or to too small and with some creativity in material removal, make one that looks pretty good and fits pretty well. But then I started to think, do I really want to pay $175+ for something and then start cutting it up? Nah - at least not yet.

The state I live in has redefined the helmet law to a point that they now think they can effectively enforce it beginning January 1. But, along with that, there are groups banding together to help anyone fight a helmet ticket if they should happen to get one. So, I think I'll keep on looking for the magic helmet - at least until I get my first ticket that I cannot defeat in court.

If I have to ride looking like Marvin the Martian, I'm probably not going to spend that much money to do it when there are others out there for a lot less.

Again, just my opinion - not bashing anyone else's choices or opinions.

** Just thought I'd add that I had 2 friends with me that were looking for the same thing but felt the results were the same for them as well.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:01 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: ACC Carbon Fiber Helmets - disappointed

a novelty is the only thing your gonna find thats smaller than that ACCDOT half. I have both and actually like the DOT better but you know, whatever ya like

the ACC novelty is carbon fiber also with some soft padding for $109...just sayin

Old 11-01-2007, 12:40 PM
boom215
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you want a novelty then go for it but its not going to do much if you do go down. those acc ones are really for people that dont want a huge helmut but still want to be safe. i got one and one for my girl. i actually wear hers which is a size smaller then mine but it fits and looks pretty good also.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:48 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I 'used' to be a solid proponent of the ACC carbon fiber DOT helmets. That is, until I was recently given another carbon fiber helmet as a gift from a client. I guess up to that point, I didn't really have a true reference point?By comparison, the build quality, feel, and craftsmanship of the ACC DOT just doesn't stand up to my newer (HD) carbon fiber helmet. Looking back, and having what I now have in hand side by side, the ACC DOT (to me) just appears rather low in quality, etc. Again, this is solely my opinion. Anyone out there want a slightly/gently used ACC DOT Polo in a Large, let me know. Not for sale. I'll give it to ya'.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:52 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

I already have a novelty helmet and am quite aware of the differences. But it's my risk just as it is for anyone that doesn't wear a helmet at all. The only reason I want DOT is to satisfy the LEO's that may one day stop me. My point is that, while the ACC's are, without a doubt, smaller than any other DOT helmet I've seen, but they are still not small enough to keep some people with mugs like mine from looking like a 'tard going down the road. And, frankly, I find the pictures they have posted on their website, very misleading. In my first post, someone brought up the fact that all of the pictures are interestingly taken at a certain angle instead of straight-on. Now I know why.

See there, you've got me bashing and that was not my intent.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:56 PM
Z_Stingray
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: TxHarleyGuy2007

I 'used' to be a solid proponent of the ACC carbon fiber DOT helmets. That is, until I was recently given another carbon fiber helmet as a gift from a client. I guess up to that point, I didn't really have a true reference point?By comparison, the build quality, feel, and craftsmanship of the ACC DOT just doesn't stand up to my newer (HD) carbon fiber helmet. Looking back, and having what I now have in hand side by side, the ACC DOT (to me) just appears rather low in quality, etc. Again, this is solely my opinion. Anyone out there want a slightly/gently used ACC DOT Polo in a Large, let me know. Not for sale. I'll give it to ya'.
PM sent.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:59 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Z_Stingray

PM sent.
PM answered.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:59 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I would be more than happy to buy that ACC polo from ya.

EDIT - Whoooooooops. Looks like I'm late.

Chris

Old 11-01-2007, 01:09 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

I'll take it for free. I'm late too - but, hell, this was MY post!

Old 11-01-2007, 01:32 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

yeah, the HD halfs are fancier inside but they are more expensive and they don't give ya mushroom head.....more likeTOAD STOOL [:'(]

Quick Reply: ACC Carbon Fiber Helmets - disappointed