Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ACC Carbon Fiber Helmets - disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 10:34 AM
SixGun
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ACC Carbon Fiber Helmets - disappointed

I'm a neebie to this forum so here goes; I like the look of the ACC helmet and did a search on this forum about it. The common theme is the "DOT" approved helmet.

Well I did a search on the web about helmet testing (NHTSA) and low and behold, the ACC failed the 2006 test. No, I didn't read the whole 30 something page report, just the FAILED in big red letters.

Anyone have an explination on this, or know something about the testbefore I plop done $200.00 bones on one of these helmets?

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testin...8/2006s218.pdf

Old 11-19-2007, 11:51 PM
spike95
Road Master

"your worried about looking like a nerd and you have chrome flames on your tank (come ON)"

Oh ****, I had to hold in my laughter so not to wake upmy girl. I almost spit all over the screen! That's freakin' hilarious.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:59 PM
spike95
Road Master

"There is a collection of a half dozen 1/2 helmets in my garage, and they all look pretty retarded when on... I have finally come to the conclusion that any DOT half helmet will give me the 'shroom head. Went and bought a Daytona 3/4 for fifty bucks and couldn't be happier.
http://www.daytonahelmets.com/AllProducts.aspx?categoryid=25 "

I did exactly the same thing although I luckily didn't buy that many half shells first.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:09 PM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I crashed last week with my DOT ACC polo helmet on. Helmet has a sizeable gouge out of it where I hit the pavement. I did not have so much as a headache.
Say what you want about the DOT non-DOT testing... it passed the only test that I need. MINE

After almost 30 years of riding, it is the lightest and slimest fitting I have ever worn. There may be others out there, but my order is already in for another one.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:41 PM
shoptroll
Banned

I have to agree with the guys about going with a 3/4 helmet. I use a Voss novelty german at times and nothing sometimes but when it's under freezing or I'm going to a helmet state, Then I throw on my Gmax 3/4 with the integrated flip up shield.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:49 PM
hdlowryder
Tourer

I have to give ACC a thumbs up. They put the customers first and are a model for others to learn from when it comes to customer service. I bought my helmet and was told 10 weeks, It took 5. It was to small I called and they said send it back and they will send the next size ASAP. A little over a week later I received it and it fit perfect all thought there looked to be some damage, looks like a razor blade cut a 4 inch longscratch on the helmet. I again called and said no more I would like a refund. The lady I was speaking to asked if she could have the chance to make it right.I gave her one more chance. They overnighted a new helmet with a prepaid return for the second helmet. The third helmet looks and fits perfect.

This in my opinion is a company that is concerned that their customers are satisfied regardless of the issue or what it requires of them. They may have a few small issues with manufacturing due to the high demand they are trying to meet and all companies have these problems some try to fix them and others don't care.
ACC cares.
Mark

Old 11-21-2007, 09:16 PM
OMC.SGF
Intermediate

two words: Super Seer

www.superseer.com

Old 11-21-2007, 11:34 PM
FLHTim
Cruiser

Same here My old acc helmet's liner came unglued, called them. She faxed a prepaid fed ex label. Over nited a new helmet. It was a medium as the old one but fit to tight. They sent me a large size. This one came with the new liner in white plastic and a D ring with the snap in. Thumbs up to customer service. Great people.

Old 11-22-2007, 03:33 AM
chaleau
Advanced

the ? i have is how are the straps on the acc? i have a fulmer 1/2 and it isn't too bad although it is a little mushroomy so i've been looking at going with the acc or another carbon helmet with a similar profile. the main thing that bothers me is that i get incredibly loud wind noise from the straps near my ears. there isn't an adjustment so i'm stuck with it and have to wear earplugs to help with the noise. riding w/o helmet i know you still get some windnoise from your ears themselves but it is worse with the helmet strapped on. do the carbon fiber helmets offer any reprieve from this in their strap design or am i looking at blowing my cash?

Old 11-22-2007, 08:20 AM
06train
Road Warrior

[sm=happy046.gif][sm=happy046.gif][sm=popcorn.gif][sm=popcorn.gif][sm=popcorn.gif][sm=popcorn.gif][sm=popcorn.gif]

Quick Reply: ACC Carbon Fiber Helmets - disappointed