Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ACC Carbon Fiber Helmets - disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 01:54 PM
GrandpaSpike
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: ACC Carbon Fiber Helmets - disappointed

I've worn an ACC for the past several years. It's light and good for Texas heat, but I've had trouble with the inside shell coming loose. This same thing is happening on my son's ACC. Must be a design flaw. They said to send it back, but I'm thinking seriously about getting an another brand. Straps on helmet are not symetrical either and this is a little bothersome.

[IMG]local://upfiles/36447/B8E7D6DF0B17454EA0B5E1790A902A31.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-02-2007, 02:08 PM
max56
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Sent my ACC back due to poor craftsmanship. Didn't ask for a replacement. Didn't like the way it looked on my head either.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:17 PM
Gamma742
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

A month or so ago a guy posted here with pics and that was all it took. The inside looked like crap. They can't even get the straps on straight. The straps look cheap too.

The pictures of how it fits the head on their web site look good. If all you want is fashion, go for it.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:16 PM
Elginator
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: LRonHoover
it used to be about motorcycles...now it's a f'n fashion show.....
ORIGINAL: AK_Hog_Herder
Unfreakin' believable.
"Honey, does this helmet make my head look fat?"
LRonHoover and Hog Herder nailed it. My god, who cares what people think?

Old 11-02-2007, 10:19 PM
Elginator
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: INDEPENDENTBIKEWORKS
.... My wife just insured me for 100,000.
Geez, that will equal 10 years worth of wages. Better have someone taste your food for you before you eat it.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:17 AM
4merRacer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the ACC novelty and love it. The shop I got it from even threw a DOT sticker on it. The DOT test is soooo basic that there are actually several novelty helmets have allegedly passed it but because DOT also requires certain design characteristics, they couldn't receive the approval. Such helmets must have something like 1 inch of protection.

I just read an article in Easyriders or Biker mag that clarifies that DOT does not actually approve helmets. They set out the design standards and it's up to the manufacturer to meet them. If they do, they can claim DOT approval. So when the laws read they must meet DOT "approval" rather than "standards" there is room for dismissal of fines.It'll be interesting to see if anyone wins one based on that.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:28 AM
mountainpharm
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Gamma742

A month or so ago a guy posted here with pics and that was all it took. The inside looked like crap. They can't even get the straps on straight. The straps look cheap too.
It was me who posted the pics of the helmet with the skewed straps. I did get that helmet replaced after about a 2 week wait, only to find that I needed to have the helmet elongated to fit my melon. I contacted ACC and they offered to modify it for free so I sent it back to them. About a week later, I got a completely different helmet that fit exactly the same as the one I sent back to have modified (pressure point in the front that results in a headache after about 45 minutes). I've manipulated everything about the helmet short of filing down the protective material, which would really defeat the whole purpose. While I agree that the staff at ACC are extremely pleasant to talk to, I haven'tbeen profoundly impressed with the actual product. I get the feeling that they are to the point of being overwhelmed with orders and quality is starting to suffer. I may end up selling my ACC or I may give it to my son if it fits. (Anyone want to make an offer?? It's a DOT gloss black half).

The helmet I'm looking at now is the Vega XTS gloss naked half (see below). I'm hoping someone nearby carries their product so I can try before I buy, which I believe was a major downfall with my ACC experience. If more would like to share their reviews of the Vega products, please post.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:08 AM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I have an ACC black cherry DOT half. It is not as small as the novelty, but with the resize it fits pretty good. I like the new inside design. It is covered in a white plastic coating. Makes it easy for cleaning. I have a bald head, and sweat a lot. My HD half smells like a old gym. I have tried several things, but nothing will take the odor out completely.

I don't have a probem with the lining coming off. I actually like the helmet. I guess I should for $180. It is better than my HD half $150. Anyways, it is all about what YOU like. If you like it, then price shouldn't be a factor. I'm not rich by any means, but if there is something I like I don't have a problem paying the price.

Fashion show. How about I wear a nice fluffy dress while riding my hog.... Would that be a fashion show????.........[sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 11-03-2007, 09:22 AM
bigbrokah
Cruiser

There is a collection of a half dozen 1/2 helmets in my garage, and they all look pretty retarded when on... I have finally come to the conclusion that any DOT half helmet will give me the 'shroom head. Went and bought a Daytona 3/4 for fifty bucks and couldn't be happier.
http://www.daytonahelmets.com/AllPro...?categoryid=25

Old 11-03-2007, 09:23 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[sm=icon_rofl.gif]

ORIGINAL: wideglidebob

your worried about looking like a nerd and you have chrome flames on your tank (come ON)

Quick Reply: ACC Carbon Fiber Helmets - disappointed