General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ACC Carbon Fiber Helmets - disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 07:20 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: ACC Carbon Fiber Helmets - disappointed

your worried about looking like a nerd and you have chrome flames on your tank (come ON)

Old 11-01-2007, 07:27 PM
HD Bones
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my son's ACC DOT flat black helmet down to the bike shop (sorry, local metric bike shop, not HD stealer) and tried on the inexpensive VEGA XTS flat black DOT half helmet and kept comparing them in a mirror. Both guys who worked there came over and we all three agreed that the ACC helmet looked a little better but was not any smaller looking (mushroom head effect was the same)than the VEGA. The VEGA has two small vents on the front as well as the snaps for the visor that I threw out. It may not look quite as nice as an ACC helmet but for @ $110 less it looked real fine (and I'm not cheap). I usually spend extra money on things that I really want but I just couldn't justify the extra money and 6 week wait for the ACC. OK, I'm done now.

VEGA XTS Half Helmet in rubber flat black, fiberglass, and DOT! @ $60

Old 11-02-2007, 11:22 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: wideglidebob

your worried about looking like a nerd and you have chrome flames on your tank (come ON)
I ain't wearin the flames on my head #$#$%#$@#$. Why do people insist on coming into these posts and turning them into a completely different subject in order to bash someone else? I like my frickin flames and I'm sure there's probably something about your bike I don't care for and would consider nerdy - that is, if you were brave enough to show it.

I don't dress my bike up to please anyone but me. But I try to make myself presentable as a certain image to everyone else both on the bike and off and most people, if they give a damn about how they present themselves, do as well. This has nothing to do with how the bike looks with the helmet or the flames. It's about how my frickin head looks and feels like a GD balloon moving down the highway. You don't have to agree with that but leave my bike out of it.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:26 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: LRonHoover

it used to be about motorcycles...now it's a f'n fashion show.....
Definitely not a fashion show. I don't own a vest and don't ride with any leather or gloves unless absolutely necessary and I even sometimes ride in shorts so I'm not trying to pose up a biker image. As I've said before, I dress for where I'm going not for how I'm getting there. However, when it comes to the helmet, I draw the line. I want something comfortable that doesn't look like a retard riding the short bus. It's as simple as that.

And it's still about the motorcycles. But, it's always been about the image too - for more people and more reasons than most will ever admit.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:07 PM
WillyHD
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: HD Bones

I took my son's ACC DOT flat black helmet down to the bike shop (sorry, local metric bike shop, not HD stealer) and tried on the inexpensive VEGA XTS flat black DOT half helmet and kept comparing them in a mirror. Both guys who worked there came over and we all three agreed that the ACC helmet looked a little better but was not any smaller looking (mushroom head effect was the same)than the VEGA. The VEGA has two small vents on the front as well as the snaps for the visor that I threw out. It may not look quite as nice as an ACC helmet but for @ $110 less it looked real fine (and I'm not cheap). I usually spend extra money on things that I really want but I just couldn't justify the extra money and 6 week wait for the ACC. OK, I'm done now.

VEGA XTS Half Helmet in rubber flat black, fiberglass, and DOT! @ $60

Cool. Did you find the Vega heavier than the ACC? I didn't try a lot of halfs, but the few that I did try seemed heavier than the ACC DOT.

Chris

Old 11-02-2007, 12:12 PM
WillyHD
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: 2007fxdc

As I've said before, I dress for where I'm going not for how I'm getting there.
That's interesting. I think for most of us, we dressfor how we are geeting there and not for where we are going. For me it depends on the weather. I will ride in shorts, jeans, rain suit if its cold, etc.

I think your problem with ACC is valid. You want what everyone wants. Fashion combined with function and there is nothing wrong with that.

Chris

Old 11-02-2007, 12:44 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Unfreakin' believable.

"Honey, does this helmet make my head look fat?"

Old 11-02-2007, 12:59 PM
INDEPENDENTBIKEWORKS
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 2007fxdc

ORIGINAL: wideglidebob

I ain't wearin the flames on my head #$#$%#$@#$. Why do people insist on coming into these posts and turning them into a completely different subject in order to bash someone else? I like my frickin flames and I'm sure there's probably something about your bike I don't care for and would consider nerdy - that is, if you were brave enough to show it.

I don't dress my bike up to please anyone but me. But I try to make myself presentable as a certain image to everyone else both on the bike and off and most people, if they give a damn about how they present themselves, do as well. This has nothing to do with how the bike looks with the helmet or the flames. It's about how my frickin head looks and feels like a GD balloon moving down the highway. You don't have to agree with that but leave my bike out of it.
Nice bike, Mushroom head
I got 3 helmets.1 full face flip up by KBC. I hate it.
1 half helmet by HJC. Its O.K., but I dont really like it.
1 Novelty helmet.
We dont have a helmet law, so most of the time I dont wear one.
Mostly when its cold. I just got a nice beany cap thats comfortable though.
My wife just insured me for 100,000.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:00 PM
INDEPENDENTBIKEWORKS
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 11-02-2007, 01:46 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 540 Likes on 240 Posts

I've been following the helmet threads for some time trying to decide which one to get. We have a helmet law so I need a DOT approved helmet. I could care less about the look but I'm trying to find the smallest one possible so it won't try to rip my head off at 70 mph. When I ride the Dyna with the windshield, no problem, but when riding my custom without a windshield, it's brutal. Ordered an ACC but cancelled it after waiting one day short of 11 weeks.I think I was lucky they took so long.

Quick Reply: ACC Carbon Fiber Helmets - disappointed