General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ACC Carbon Fiber Helmets - disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 01:46 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: ACC Carbon Fiber Helmets - disappointed

ORIGINAL: carpetride

yeah, the HD halfs are fancier inside but they are more expensive and they don't give ya mushroom head.....more likeTOAD STOOL [:'(]
I've yet to try on a DOT approved half that didn't give me the shroom-head - HD or anything else. I remember the day I bought my bike, I was over trying on helmets and put one of the HD's on my head. My wife looked at me and said "you're never going to be able to pull that off". She wasn't talking about pulling the helmet off - just pull off wearing it.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:47 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

ORIGINAL: 2007fxdc

I've yet to try on a DOT approved half that didn't give me the shroom-head - HD or anything else. I remember the day I bought my bike, I was over trying on helmets and put one of the HD's on my head. My wife looked at me and said "you're never going to be able to pull that off". She wasn't talking about pulling the helmet off - just pull off wearing it.
I bought a regular 'ole Vega half-helmet to have something to wear and my wife makes fun of me for wearing it. I figured she'd like the idea that I was trying to reduce risk of being hurt if I wreck, but nooooooooo... Maybe she has her eyes on the insurance money?

Old 11-01-2007, 01:53 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

Mine never wanted me to get a bike to start with. Her only requirement now is that I have my life insurance in order. She has no idea my novelty helmet isn't legal or I'd be hearing about it.

I never thought she'd get on the back of this thing but she doesn. But she's one of those that looks good in a half helmet. Actually her's is like a 5/8's helment. It's not 3/4 but it dips down in the back. I might have to go after something like that.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:18 PM
Azrael
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depending on where you live you might be able to get away with an ACC non-dot helmet. I am told, and have read from various sources, that the only required test the ACCnon-dot didn't pass was the puncture test. I personally own a HD half helmet and an ACC non-dot. If it was not for the chin strap I would forget I was wearing the ACC helmet.

I would also add the ACC non-dot is much better than the novelty helmets I looked at in terms of quality and overall feel. I live in VA which is technically a DOT required state and have yet to be pulled over for my non-dot even when they were looking for a reason to pull me over.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:30 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: ChrisWillis

Depending on where you live you might be able to get away with an ACC non-dot helmet. I am told, and have read from various sources, that the only required test the ACCnon-dot didn't pass was the puncture test. I personally own a HD half helmet and an ACC non-dot. If it was not for the chin strap I would forget I was wearing the ACC helmet.

I would also add the ACC non-dot is much better than the novelty helmets I looked at in terms of quality and overall feel. I live in VA which is technically a DOT required state and have yet to be pulled over for my non-dot even when they were looking for a reason to pull me over.

I'm right below you in NC and same here. I agree the non-DOT's are nicer but they should be for the price. We don't yet get stopped because the helmet law is currently impossible to enforce as written as long as you are wearing something. However, we are being told that beginning January 1, they will be enforcing the law.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:10 PM
Rebel Ryder
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: ChrisWillis

agree w/everything stated as my reasoning was the same. take your chances w/the non-dot or get a labotomy?

Old 11-01-2007, 04:43 PM
LRonHoover
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it used to be about motorcycles...now it's a f'n fashion show.....

Old 11-01-2007, 05:30 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

ORIGINAL: LRonHoover

I'm a new rider and wasn't around in the 40s when the clubs started, but I get the feeling "image" was alwaysa part of it.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:38 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

this is true buthas pretty much always been part of the wholecruisin scene really...what with all the chrome, fancy paint, custom built bikes, leather bag fringe,ostrich or gator seats, wheels, studsetc.
even those that ride more monochromatic bikes are making a fashion statement.

I live in fla. and still wear an ACChalf helmet...I don't claim to be smarter or more safe or cooler than anyone else no matter what they wear or don't wear..I just know what I like....sure a full face helmet offers more protection but I just can't stand them on my head and the halfs that have the big shroom look catch too much wind( and look strange to me)..If someone thinks I'm a poser or somethin I really couldn't care less because I'm too busy enjoyin the ride

Old 11-01-2007, 07:10 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

ORIGINAL: SgtThump

I'm a new rider and wasn't around in the 40s when the clubs started, but I get the feeling "image" was alwaysa part of it.

It's all image to me. I sure as h*ll wouldn't be ridin' a f'n motorcycle and puttin' up with all that wind in my face and hair, bugs in my teeth, heat on my inner thighs, loud azz exhaust noise, end of day hangin' out in smokey old bars, shootin' the chit with some good lookin' half undressed bar maid, tellin' lies with other dirty ol' bikers, and all the other pain in the azz bullchit that comes with ridin' ifn' it wasn't for that look of haulin' azz down the highway like you don't have a care in the world or a definite destination in life. Hell yeah, it's all about image and always has been.

Why is it always that when someone mentions a helmet, even if he only wants to comment on a specific helmet, that some f'n preacher has to preach about his opinion of safety?

Quick Reply: ACC Carbon Fiber Helmets - disappointed