Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do you ever wish you had not bought a harley

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 10:58 AM
mknoxcpa
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: do you ever wish you had not bought a harley

I have or had 3 BMW's, 1985 K75 S, 1984 R65, 1995 R1100GS and a 2006 K1200 LT. All of them are great bikes, comfortable and fun to ride. If I could keep them all I would, HOWEVER, the dealer network, or more accurately lack of, makes them a royal pain. Take a look at the Iron Butt notes for this year and read about the sealed final drive on the R1200GS that never needs mainenance and will never fail,in fact it did not originally come with a drain plug. If you can schedule the maintenance for a bike, you are fine, but if you break down on the road, you are looking at a long haul to get it fixed since most states have only one or two dealers at best. And when you get the bill, it makes a HD service look like a bargain. Sometimes the grass looks greener, but then again maybe it is paved with dollar bills. I think the real meaning of BMW is break my wallet. For me a BMW motorcycle is a love hate relationship.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:05 AM
wingnutt
Road Master

ORIGINAL: rainmakers

Ever wish you had not bought a Harley, and if so what would you have bought?

I kinda want a Ducati 996, or bmw 1200 GS.....
[sm=WTFsgign.gif]CONGRATULATIONS!!! You have just won the dumb question of the day award.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:07 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

nope...but if I wanted something different ora cheaper bike I would'veconsidera triumph 2 cylinder just for old time sake...

Old 11-01-2007, 11:11 AM
bgr8ful
Advanced

Not the right place or that sort of question.
My answer is.. No. HD only

Old 11-01-2007, 11:30 AM
Silverearl
Road Captain

I have had several and they were good at the time but they never stacked up to a Harley... And now that I am here I am going to stay..

Old 11-01-2007, 11:34 AM
bosnmate
Banned

ORIGINAL: carpetride

nope...but if I wanted something different ora cheaper bike I would'veconsidera triumph 2 cylinder just for old time sake...
Yeah, an old triumph or indian would be cool.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:35 AM
JohnBoy1
Cruiser

When hd sent me a mag with the 1200r fuelie in it i said i want it a bought it, no regrets. My buell on the other hand had more problems then most Yugo's when new.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:39 AM
JohnT
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes. For the first year after I bough my '05 Sportster, I was vastly disappointed. Now, after a Stage 1 and changing the bars, seat, tank, suspension, and pegs, and adding a windshield, fork brace and more, it's a fantastic bike, and nearly perfect for me. Now, I'm looking for a new bike and, for the first time in years, Harley is not at the top of my list. Maybe if the Harley mystique and image were important to me, I would be more accetpting of the idea of buying a new '08 and immediately having to change out the pipes and intake, adding a fuel management system of some type (and making the bike illegal at the same time), as well as changing the seat, bars, suspension, etc., but it's not and I'm not. A $20k bike should come ready to roll with only a few minor modifications. When Harley makes a bike like that, I'll be a customer again. Until then, the bucks will go elsewhere.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:42 AM
Helix
Tourer

For the days I feel Like Barry Sheen or Kenny Roberts I'd love to have a GSXR in the garage. Or Possibly a Ninja ZX. Other than those rare days Ill take my FXSTC and never look back. HD loves me, Heck Ive owned 3 so far...I cant shake em for some reason.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:45 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Do I wish I had not bought my Harley? Of course not. I love it.

But, I'm not exclusive

If I were looking for more bikes, I'd certainly consider something other than H-D, but I'd still keep my Harley.

Harleys are unique and a ton of fun. That's why I have one. But I am not motorcycle-monogamous. I'd certainly see other bikes.

Quick Reply: do you ever wish you had not bought a harley