General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Downshifting..

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 10:28 PM
dircha
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Downshifting..

ORIGINAL: ccmd2b
Was reading the other post about downshifting and have a similar question but a little different than the other thread so I decided to start a new one. When I know I'll have to come to a complete stop or at least turn soon, sometimes I'll just pull the clutch in and go ahead and down shift all the way to 1st gear then just coast to my turn or stop so I can do a few throttle ups to hear my pipes.. I'm assuming there's nothing wrong with doing this? As in, it's not bad for my transmission?
Pretty simple.

You can clutch and break from speed to a stop every time and you more than likely aren't going to wear out anything in the clutch in the time you own the bike. You will go through brake pads a little quicker than if you use engine braking, but then brake pads are cheap and easy to replace. Really, this shouldn't be a point of major concern.

If you take this approach, my only safety advice is that as you have the clutch lever pulled in and are braking, downshift through the gears as you are slowing down such that you are always in a gear that is appropriate for your speed. This ensures that if all of a sudden you need power to make an emergency maneuver, you will be in the right gear.

The alternative approach is engine braking, where you downshift through the gears with power to the rear wheel. Engine braking puts additional stress on your engine internals, but if you do it safely and with moderation, not necessarily any more than you will put on accelerating.

When I need to stop relatively quickly, and I don't mean just an emergency, I clutch and brake while shifting down through the gears. But if I'm slowly rolling up to a stop sign, or slowing up coming off of an off ramp, and there aren't any impatient drivers riding my tail, I'll slowly take off the speed with the engine down a couple gears, then clutch and brake while shifting down through the rest. Pretty standard.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:38 PM
Blackmouth
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: biz44

When I am slowing for a light, and I know I will have to stop for the light, I usually apply some front & rear brakes, and drop one gear and close the throttle.....sometimes two gears depending on how fast I was going when I began to slow down. Then as soon as I stop, or just before I drop it into first and click up into N,then release the clutch. By doing it this war I believe it puts the least amount of wear on the clutch.....and I would much rather change out a set of brake pads, than replace the clutch plates.....JMHO....YMMV.
I'd STRONGLY recommend against developing this habit.
If I understand the explanation given by biz44 here, he keeps his bike in N at red lights.
That goes against the recommendation of keeping your bike in gear while at stops.
In case you need to get going quick (you hear skidding brakes behind you) you'rebetter off already being in gear. I've heard the arguments about most people not really having the reflexes to get out of the rear-end collision from a stop even if you are in gear....but hell, I'd rather improve my chances by keeping the bike in 1st gear and the clutch lever pulled while at a red light.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:46 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Hot topic. I use engine braking coming off the highway, going down hills, etc. But when I am cruising the boulevard, I travel in the right gear and downshift as speed dictates. When stopping, I just roll up to the stop, downshifting with the clutch in at the appropriate speed should I have to accelerate suddenly, like when the light turns green, or making a turn left or right. I don't worry about wear and tear on the friction plates or the brake pads either. That's why they are made from wearable material to provide friction as warranted.