General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Effective downshifting??

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 01:34 PM
pkenyon1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Effective downshifting??

One thing I cant get to grips with (excuse the punn), is effective downshifting...

I cant do it right and therefore I am not happy doing it..can anyone offer advice please.

Usually the need takes me when wanting to drop a gear to fast overtake in traffic, I cant do it smoothly and always seem to get it wrong...

What should I be doing??

Old 10-31-2007, 01:58 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Effective downshifting??

Realize that the speed you're traveling will require more throttle if you go down a gear so, as you downshift give the engine more gas to get the rpm's up higher as you release the clutch. That will synchronize your engine speed and bike speed with the new gear you're in. This will help your bike not have to make a sudden speed change because of the difference. (A little hard to explain)

Old 10-31-2007, 02:11 PM
dynadiver
Cruiser

To be honest here, I notice alot of people using one gear higher than needed when in traffic. I guess they like the lower engine rpm or ?? If you are on the highway in traffic just use the next lower gear than you are using now and you shouldnt have to downshift so often. At least this is what I do, I normally run 5th gear in the 60-65 range and then if I need to overtake a car I just have to twist the throttle a little bit. When cruising the big roads at 75-80 you probably dont need to downshift to overtake a car in 6th gear.

I am assuming you are riding a newer bike with the 6 speed of course being that you are obviously a new rider and thinking you probably bought a newer bike. If you bought a sportster, then I can see your dilemma......

Old 10-31-2007, 02:12 PM
dynadiver
Cruiser

Guess the first question I should've asked you was what kind of scoot your riding???? sorry for double posting.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:16 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's like everything else in riding, you eventually get a feel for the bike and how the engine sounds. But if you have a 5 speed, you can use the 45, 35, 25, 15 method. That will put you in first gear when you stop. Remember though, if you only use your transmission to slow the bike, your brake lights are being illuminated, so tap your brakes gently as you gear down.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:47 PM
EasternSP
Banned

Received 24,867 Likes on 9,332 Posts

Sounds like what you're saying is you want more acceleration power to pass slower traffic. If that's the case, you're in a situation that you need a burst of speed. If the engine is kinda ******* while you have a hand full of throttle, you need to shift down one gear just like you would shift up one gear under hard acceleration. Gun it man.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:19 PM
pkenyon1
Road Captain

It is a new bike
I'm not that new to this
I understand how to slow down through downshifting

What I want to do is...speed up through downshifting (I guess), but have never felt comfortable doing it.

You are right in thinking this happens when wanting to overtake all of a sudden really.

Thanks for all the advice and more is welcomed..

Old 10-31-2007, 03:32 PM
ride99fxd
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are asking about technique, here's mine.

Quickly depress the clutch lever and at the same time start to roll on the throttle and put pressure on the shifter. By the the time the lever is fully depressed, the transmission should be in the next lower gear, and immediately start releasing the clutch lever smoothly but quickly.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:00 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a tach it is much easier. When you're cruising along at 50 and 2000rpm and you need to overtake someone moving slower, pull in the clutch and downshift. Before you release the clutch you need to get the motor at least to the rpm you were previously in to avoid the sudden decels. Keep in mind. If you are at 2000rpm in 5th and downshift to 4th, you will most likely need to pull about 3000 rpm before releasing the clutch after downshifting to avoid any decel whatsoever.

Basically, whatever rpm you were running before you upshifted should be your target rpm when downshifting. Make sense?

Old 10-31-2007, 05:23 PM
NY_Rebel
Cruiser

Do it the same as if you're running up hard through the gears...Don't think about it....don't hesitate...just pull in the clutch... bang it down a gear... out with the clutch and gas it....it'll respond favorably....

Quick Reply: Effective downshifting??