General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone pull a trailer behind your bike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 10:07 AM
800XC SP
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default anyone pull a trailer behind your bike?

I have been looking into trailers to pull behind my bike. I have never pulled a trailer behind the bikeand was wondering what to watch out for, what kind of trailer to stay away from, what features on the trailer should I look for (i.e. tire size, etc.),where did you get your hitch set up for your bike. I have a Heritage Softail Classic, I wouldn't have a passenger as my wife has her own Fat Boy.
Any info would be appreciated.
I am leaning towards this one;

Old 10-31-2007, 10:13 AM
HOYA3233
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: anyone pull a trailer behind your bike?

My dad pulls the same trailer behind his EG. He's pulled it all over the country and has never had any trouble.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:28 AM
recross
Tourer

I pull a Bushtec Roadstar........as everyone who pulls a trailer will say, "don't know it's back there". A lot of Folks pull that trailer that you are showing.....Go to the Gl1800 Forum and there is a whole section on trailers...all of the info you will need..........BC

Old 10-31-2007, 12:40 PM
ULTRAMAN53
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heres mine. a time out dart. 150lbs empty. pulls nice 12' tires.powered hoppy converter for the lites mchitch. receiver doubles as a mount for my cooler on wk-end rides. low center -of gravity

Old 10-31-2007, 02:20 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull a 125 lb. Bushtec Turbo II. Lots of room, pulls like a dream, absolutely no bouncing on bumps..Got a cooler on the tongue which helps keep hydrated on the long ones. Makes touring a breeze. Much better than piling all that stuff in the saddle bags, in and on top of the tourpac. Touring back to Boise through Yosemite, didn't notice it was there, and no big changes in mileage. Still getting 38-40 MPG. Bit spendy, but really is a jewel.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:34 PM
larry5h
Road Master

Me too no problems, allow a little more room when stopping.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:15 PM
Dennydp
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Met a guy in Sturgis with the same trailer.He and his wife rode in on an 07 Heritage Softtail.Towed it from Iowa and loved it.So did the 2 guys that rode with them.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:38 PM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pulling the Uni-Go behind my Ultra. Soon it will pulled behind my Road Glide. Never knew it was back there except when backing up....lol.With single wheel the trailer leans with the bike.

[IMG]local://upfiles/43895/E5C51E7182554BEAA26A55DA2BD9C2EF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-31-2007, 04:07 PM
Wilinfla
Tourer

mattman,

The wife wanted me to ask you where the lighthouse photo was taken at, she is into lighthouses. Thanks.

Will

Old 10-31-2007, 04:13 PM
rreffner
Cruiser

With my '06 stage 1 RG, I pull a Timeout camper with a fully loaded cooler, Roof Bag, and AC in the summer. I keep the tongue weight around 25-30 pounds and always keep my tires at the correct psi. The little lady is also aboard. I've taken numerous long weekend trips and one 7 day trip 1500 miles one way from home with mountains.

"I always know I'm pulling a trailer." In order to keep the rpm's within the correct range for the gear I'm in I downshift more frequently than when riding without the trailer. I give the RG more gas than usual and with the true duals that equates to more noise. The wife and I wear earplugs. When starting up, you will defiantly know the trailer is behind you. And, you ALWAYS want to remember it's back there. You will need to allow more distance/time for breaking. I don't have trailer brakes so I can't comment on them. Remember too that the trailer makes your bike longer. Allow for that. Remember you have two wheels behind you so watch out for ruts, potholes, etc.

We camp at State Parks mostly and I call tell you, after the trailer is off the bike, when you first take off, oh what a feeling! What a difference!

We love camping with our Timeout. We are above the ground, dry and comfortable. We use a queen Aerobed. I am 6' tall, and have lots of room to walk about. It's about 15' long. State Park facilities are well kept and clean. Good showers, commodes, etc. We always camp with electricity. Additionally, the Park Rangers often times have little exhibitions or shows that they give. We have saved a bundle not having to pay the high cost of hotel rooms. Then again, we travel and use hotels frequently and leave the trailer home. It all depends.

GOD, I love this country!

G

Quick Reply: anyone pull a trailer behind your bike?