General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking in a carport this winter in Florida, cover suggestions please.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 11:47 AM
Afishinado
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Parking in a carport this winter in Florida, cover suggestions please.

Don't have a garage at my winter digs in Florida, but do have a carport. I use the carport more as a patio but there is room for the bike under roof... Leaning towards a Dowco Weatherall Plus EZ... Used the search feature and didn't find much... Suggestions appreciated.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:26 PM
powdercoater
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Parking in a carport this winter in Florida, cover suggestions please.

The salty, humid air is gonna cause rust... even with a cover. Been there, done that. If you can't get it indoors I'd consider one of those Harley "bubbles." If you haven't seen them, it's a plastic bubble you put your bike in and hook up an air pump to inflate it. Don't know how well it would hold up to high winds from a storm though.

We have custom bike shops around here that offer indoor storage by the day/week/month, and you can get it out to ride any time you want. Don't know if your area has something like that but it's just another suggestion.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:39 PM
rreffner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Parking in a carport this winter in Florida, cover suggestions please.

I've been keeping my '06 RG in my carport covered by a Wallmart motorcycle cover since I purchased the bike new. I have had zero problems, except for a cat sleeping on my seat every now and then! No rust problems (knock-on-wood) with my method of storage and regular bike cleaning. Having said that, I live in northwest Florida, quite far from the ocean.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:47 PM
rick
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dont know how far south you are nor how close to the coast,but here in miami i had to take my bike out of the garage about a year ago and have had it in a bikebarn ever since wih no roof overhead.So far not 1 problem.Also the bikebarn is really easy to take the bike in and out.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:05 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

You don't say where in FL that you live, it's a big state. If you live at least a few (3-4 )miles from the ocean, salt is not an issue. A carport is fine, just don't cover the bike with anything that doesn't breath. Plastic is BAD. Any MC cover or even a bed sheet will be fine.

On second thought, why would you need to "store" the bike in FL.? It's a year round riding state.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:43 PM
Afishinado
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the ideas folks... Salt air ARRRRGH!!!
I also ship down my other baby to FL every year, (a '92 Carrera cabriolet) and it has to sit outside under a cover. I'm on the St Lucie River about 3 miles from the coast, the salt air isn't near the problem there as it is here in NJ, the river is mostly brackish at my place. I probably could get away with a dust cover as it really shouldn't get rained on.. Here in NJ where the westerly summer breeze blows salt air into my garage (which I have open at both ends most of the time during the day) is when I need to really worry about the salt. On the Porsche, I found the best thing to do is rinse it off, blow dry and cover it again after I use it. That is my plan with the WG while here in NJ, and hit it with the S100 occasionally...

Old 10-30-2007, 03:15 PM
TampaJim
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like others have said, unless you live right on the coast, you shouldn't have much of a problem. The humidity is much lower in the winter. In fact winter is our prime riding season!!