General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Sportster as a Starter Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 12:58 PM
porker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Sportster as a Starter Bike?

I had a 1200 sportster (ported & polished, roller rockers, ignition etc) and loved it. It was lowered front and rear and was certainly anything but top-heavy. Hated to get rid of it.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:05 PM
JoyfulNoise
Advanced

My sporty 883 Custom is my second bike and my first Harley. I learned on a smaller Honda. The Honda provided me with a more forgiving learning curve as I developed my skills. Frankly, I was both fascinated and anxious about the racing tradition and stated quirky characteristics of the Sporty. Yet I liked some of the positives (weight, torque, quickness, etc.). I rode it as often as possible when I got it and after about a week I felt "it was mine". Yes, it doesn't want to stand up as straight as others as you approach a stop (be prepared toput your footdown quickly) and it needs a little more throttle at slow manuvering speeds. But these are things you get used to. I find that my sporty handles well. Is quick and manuverable. It's lighter then the v-twins but it is still a heavy weight. It's a blast to ride. One side benefit is that once you've mastered a Sportyyou can ride just about any other bike with a minimum adjustment.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:05 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think one of the reasons the Sportster is thought of as a "starter" bike is that, in the Harley Davidson world it is a starter bike. It's the smallest Harley in size and also the lowestpriced Harleywhich certainly would be indicators of a starter bike. However in the motorcycle world (all brands included) the Sportster is far from a starter bike.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:16 PM
mknoxcpa
Novice

My wife recently purchased a 2007 883L as her starter bike, and has found it to be very suitable to learn on. She is a beginning rider and had no trouble at all with it learning the basics of clutch/throttle control and commented that she found her Sportster easier to ride than the small bikes that the MSF class uses. She successfully completed her class last week and now has her motorcycle endorsement.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:24 PM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: HogBoy

unforgiving in their handling characteristics (as compared to other models) and top heavy.
I keep hearing this but just don't see it. The more I ride my Sporty the easyier is gets to handle. Granted i am 6'4" but it isn't top heavy to me and I literally slam it into the corners. In short, it handles like a dream and the throttle resonse it very nice!

Old 10-30-2007, 01:25 PM
Candy Azz
Banned

Oh great, now the Sportster owners are gonna get offended by everythng posted. Easy girls, this post is not a jab at Sportsters.

Anywho, maybe one of the reasons the Sporty is considered a starter bike is because it's the cheapest of all the bikes. That and itIS the lightest. My wife and her friend both have one. They can pick them upif they drop them and they can move them around easier. It's as simple as that.

As for it being a "real Harley", it is, just like the rest. It's just not as much of a Harley. Way too small for us guys who grow past 6 foot.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:31 PM
JohnT
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Candy Azz

. . . . As for it being a "real Harley", it is, just like the rest. It's just not as much of a Harley. Way too small for us guys who grow past 6 foot.
Or past 240 or so pounds.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:37 PM
celticgent
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Candy Azz

Oh great, now the Sportster owners are gonna get offended by everythng posted. Easy girls, this post is not a jab at Sportsters.

Anywho, maybe one of the reasons the Sporty is considered a starter bike is because it's the cheapest of all the bikes. That and itIS the lightest. My wife and her friend both have one. They can pick them upif they drop them and they can move them around easier. It's as simple as that.

As for it being a "real Harley", it is, just like the rest. It's just not as much of a Harley. Way too small for us guys who grow past 6 foot.
yep.

just like aMustang isn't as much of aFordas an Expedition or a Super Duty Dualie.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:56 PM
humpbackbob
Cruiser

I bought a Sportsteras my first Harley. The trainer at Riders Edge advised me not for all the reasons mentioned. I got one anyway. Weight and price being to deciding factors. I still have the Sporty and enjoy the hell out of it for short trips. I then "traded up" to a Deluxe. Almost twice the price and couple hundred pounds heavier, but totally different to the Sporty. Much easier to handle, lower COG and seat hight, far more comfortable on a long run. The Sporty is certainly not a girls bike or a beginners bike IMHO. The service guy at my dealers who rides a Hot Buell reckons that my bike with the mods is the liveliest bike outside of Buell that HD makes. For a real beginner I would go for a used Buell Blast and run the hell out of it for a year before stepping up to a 883 0r 1200.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:17 PM
Candy Azz
Banned

ORIGINAL: celticgent
yep.

just like aMustang isn't as much of aFordas an Expedition or a Super Duty Dualie.
This time you are supposed to take me literally..."It's just not as much of a Harley". Meaning it's too small. Jeez!

Quick Reply: The Sportster as a Starter Bike?