General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Sportster as a Starter Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 09:18 AM
Mnhorsemom
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Sportster as a Starter Bike?

I started out last year on a 883L as my first bike. I am short, only 5'3" and needed something close to the ground. I didn't have trouble riding my Sporty but only had it for 1200 miles before we traded it for a Deluxe. JMHO opinion but unless you have really good balance it isn't good for a starter bike cause it's tippy. We have some friends that just got bikes this spring, the woman had never ridden and they got her a 883. She dumped that bike so many times (she was fine once she got going but starts and stops were not good) that she was getting discouraged and said she was not going to ride anymore. They sold the Sporty and got her a Heritage. 6000 miles later she is still loving it.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:45 AM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the quick responses.

JC_Denton: This wasn't "Ugh, another one of those posts." I wasn't saying I was new to riding and I was thinking about a Sportie for a starter bike. What I wanted to do was comfirm some old-timers observation about Sportiesnot beingstarter bikes. Why? Because you still see a lot of people posting here saying "get a Sportie" for his/her first bike.
How many times has this been posted? A lot. How many people have steppedup and said, "You're crazy for thinking a Sportie is a starter bike and here's why." Darned if I've read any of those posts. Please point me to one you've made if you have as I don't recall seeing it recently.

What I was attempting to do is dispel the myth which most of these posters have done very adequately. Ah, will it make a difference? Probably not in the scheme of things. But it might help one or two people who come to the boards. Assuming that is, they are familiar with the search function.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:47 AM
BluePotato
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 3 Posts

When people mock Sportsters, I tell them that the Sportster is the closest thing there is to a "real Harley."

But anyways, no I don't think a Sporster is a good starter bike.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:49 AM
mwhit069
Cruiser

I have a 1200L, and whenI make a booboo and it starts to go over,I have to give it every thing Ive got to keep it up. The damn thing might be the lightest HD, but 550 lbs is still frekin heavy. Mike

Old 10-30-2007, 09:56 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

They may very well be a good first bike for a lady, or anyone else for that matter, but that doesn't make them "starter bikes". Sporties being beginner or starter bikes is a misnomer, at least from a riding perspective. I think they got that rep, partially, because of the price. Many of the same people that say that would also call it a toy or a "paper-boy bike" and basically put the bike down. Any bike should be chosen based on affordability, taste, and compatibility with the size or strength of the person riding it. There are heavier bikes out there that are easier to ride because they are more balanced and/or have a much lower center of gravity. Bottom line, just because a bike is cheaper, doesn't mean it's easier to ride and just because one costs 20 grand, doesn't mean it's harder to ride.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:15 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A good starter bike? Something 500cc's or smaller.

Possible to learn on a Sportster? Sure.

A lot of people learn to ride in Rider's Edge or MSF courses and then go out and buy a Sportster or BT and do fine.

Harleys in general are probably not the best bikes to learn on from Day 1. But after 8-10 hrs. in a rider safety course on something smaller, people seem to manage.

Top-heavy? Heavier Harleys have their additional weight down low, so a Sportster feels different. But there are *plenty* of bikes that feel top-heavier. You just learn how to manage it.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:22 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

ORIGINAL: dirtnap664

I've only ridden a Sportster once and didn't like it at all. The thought of learning on one intimidated me because they do look so top heavy. My buddy was selling his Lowrider and I bought that for my first bike. Loved the bike and glad I didn't start with a Sportster just 'cause a lot of people told me I should. Now I've got my RKC and there's no looking back.
Good point about the Sportster being top heavy. I had been out of riding for several years and thought seriously about a 1200, but just sitting on it was wierd... Purchased Super Glide and never regretted it. So much better balanced.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:23 AM
pepesworld
Cruiser

I have had a Heritage, a newer rubbermount sporty and new Dyna. The sporty is a great bike, lighter, fast and fun, the new rubbermount motors took the vibration out of them.I would not have a problem touring long distance on one. They used to sit very high, but the newer ones now are plenty low enough for short legs. They are great hadling on the highway, and can cruise easily over 80mph all day. They are however very stiff riding...a speed bump will buck you right out of the saddle. Also they are slightly more difficult to handle at low speeds, and they dont turn as sharp. A lock to lock U-turn is bigger radius than a big twin, I found that to be a little troublesome. They used to be a "beginner" price, but they are not so cheap anymore. I would say the most docile and easy handling would be the big softails, or for lighter weight and lower price, a Dyna Glide. Dynas can be had for the price of a new Sportster, check through cycletrader.com. However for a true beginner bike, for some one who is trying it out, and may or may not continue riding, or may want to stay on a smaller bike. The Yamaha V-Star 650 is a good bike. They look like a fat boy, but weigh 200 lbs less, can be outfitted for touring, very reliable, air cooled, easy well ballanced handling, and you can get a good low milage used one for under $5000. With pipes and jetting, they can keep up on the highway just fine, cruising at 70mph. They will not cruise at 85 and 90 like the big bikes. A V-star 1100 will do it all, also a good bike, but it's approching the price of a Dyna.....and it'snot a Harley.
Honda makes a small V-twin- 750, great looking bike....DO NOT get one, the front end geometry on the Hondas are different. They are NOT stable at low parking lot speeds, and WILL go down....same for the Honda "Rebbel" (250, and 450).
Back to the Sportster, no they are not a beginner bike, but if a beginner tries one, and likes it.....go for it. They are a very capable bike suitable for any kind of riding. They are NOT less of a bike than the big twins, just a different flavor.
If the Yamaha rider graduates to a Harley, the Yamaha is nice to have as aspare or guest bike....great for friends visiting from out of town.Or the Yamaha can then be soldfor close to what you paid for it.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:26 AM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: HogBoy

We were on a poker run the other day and someone was talking about starter bikes for ladies. Someone mentioned Sporties asa possibility. A guy that's been riding a long time said Sporties aren't good starter bikes...they're high performance, unforgiving in their handling characteristics (as compared to other models) and top heavy. He said, if you want a good starter bike, go with a deluxe. A number of other older riders agreed with him. He went on to say he didn't know why so many people thought Sporties were considered starter bikes. I commented that it may have had a lot to do with smaller bike, lesser hp/cc displacement which people tend to equate with a starter bike.

I'd be interested in hearing anyone else's thoughts on this, because you see it posted a lot in these forums. So, if you've owned or ridden a Sportie (regardless of what you're riding now), what's your take on this?
This is true,top heavy,handling,allthough lower displacement but higher torque.
A good starter bike is one she feels comfortable on.If thinking the weight of the bike will be an issue I would start looking at the Dyna Lowriders & go from there.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:16 PM
Dirty Harry
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 531 Posts

ORIGINAL: HogBoy

We were on a poker run the other day and someone was talking about starter bikes for ladies. Someone mentioned Sporties asa possibility. A guy that's been riding a long time said Sporties aren't good starter bikes...they're high performance, unforgiving in their handling characteristics (as compared to other models) and top heavy. He said, if you want a good starter bike, go with a deluxe. A number of other older riders agreed with him. He went on to say he didn't know why so many people thought Sporties were considered starter bikes. I commented that it may have had a lot to do with smaller bike, lesser hp/cc displacement which people tend to equate with a starter bike.

I'd be interested in hearing anyone else's thoughts on this, because you see it posted a lot in these forums. So, if you've owned or ridden a Sportie (regardless of what you're riding now), what's your take on this?
Yes a Sporster is a great starting out cycle....my wife bought a used 03 XLH 1200 and learned to ride it..... after about 6k mi of her first season she tried other Harleys and decided that her next buy was an 07 dyna.........she has no regrets for learning on the Sporty because she feels that it helped her to be a better rider. As many have pointed out, Sporsters require a little more skill than the other models. If it would have been possible to keep her Sporty too and her dyna we would have.........itis a great performer and a Harley front to back

Quick Reply: The Sportster as a Starter Bike?