Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differences between Dynas and Softail Standard/Night Train?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 05:37 AM
ChromeDreams
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differences between Dynas and Softail Standard/Night Train?

Except the hidden suspension are there any differences between Dynas and Softail Standard and Night Train,

when it comes to Fat Boy or Heritage sure there is huge difference with Dynas, but if you could place a suspension in the Night train or Softail Standard you could say its a Dyna?

Old 10-30-2007, 06:58 AM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RE: Differences between Dynas and Softail Standard/Night Train?

Totally different frames, engine/tranny set ups. Dynas are rubber mounted. Softails are hard mounted with a counter ballanced engine. Research twin cam "A" motor and "B" motor.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:00 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Dyna motor is rubber mounted, while the Softail is counterbalanced.Because of the noncounterbalanced rubber mount,the Dynashakes like a bowl of jello at idle. Some people, including me, love this and regard it as pure Harley. It smooths out nicely above about 10-15 mph. The Softailis smootherat idle, but some think it has more of a high speed vibration.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:01 AM
Shaw_2112
Cruiser

Different motors for one. Dyna's use the unbalanced "A" motor and Softails use the counterbalanced "B" motor. Motor mounts are different too. Dyna frames are rubber mounted and 'tails are rigid mounts. I know the fork lowers are different too. different axle sizes. Front wheel on a Dyna is 19" vs 21" on the 'tails. There's probably more that I don't know....

Old 10-30-2007, 07:12 AM
tankerwyf
Banned Camp
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My hubby's ST Standard also has the wide rear tire. Naturally, it handles completely differently from my Dyna. I don't enjoy riding the ST nearly as much.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:32 AM
ken01976
Road Master

Dynas are rougher around the edges. Softtails are well, softer.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:32 AM
jcd15
Cruiser

I could be wrong one simalarity is the night train has a wide glide front
end but other than that there are alot of differences.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:43 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

wow so numerous ride them that will tell ya

Old 10-30-2007, 04:52 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

if your looking for performance potentail your better off with a dyna beacus they can safely run up to 7200rpm with stock stokes but if you stoke it it will drop frm there you also feel like your sitting ontop of the bike.. Softails are great for short legs and the in the bike feeling. they can only safely operate up to 6200 rpmbecause of counterbalancer. I got the standard due to price and the different look of the engine. nightrains are blacken out. If going with a fl models(fatboy and heritage) becareful with lowering them if you are egresive in the coners. I have seen several instances up in the hills taking corners of the floorboards bucking someone accross the yellow in a corner and that was with a stock hieght fatboy of someone i rode with in PA but we rode very aggressive after we put alcohol in the tank. everthing else everyone has said is very good info also just wanted to see if my experience help

Old 10-30-2007, 05:32 PM
tankerwyf
Banned Camp
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: hdpearson13

if your looking for performance potentail your better off with a dyna beacus they can safely run up to 7200rpm with stock stokes but if you stoke it it will drop frm there you also feel like your sitting ontop of the bike.. Softails are great for short legs and the in the bike feeling. they can only safely operate up to 6200 rpmbecause of counterbalancer. I got the standard due to price and the different look of the engine. nightrains are blacken out. If going with a fl models(fatboy and heritage) becareful with lowering them if you are egresive in the coners. I have seen several instances up in the hills taking corners of the floorboards bucking someone accross the yellow in a corner and that was with a stock hieght fatboy of someone i rode with in PA but we rode very aggressive after we put alcohol in the tank. everthing else everyone has said is very good info also just wanted to see if my experience help
I think this is excellent advice, with the FX model as well. My husband had his standard lowered, and I wouldn't say he's aggressive in the corners by any means, but it did cause him issues when we were in the mountains back in March.

And as far as another comment about Dynas being rougher around the edges? I'd have to disagree with that. I rode my husband's Softail before he had it lowered (I'm sure that affected the ride quality), and I personally think it's a much smoother ride. I know when we were riding back from D.C. over Memorial Day weekend, the highway was really beating my hubby up in parts, and I had no problems. I'm sure I'm just a little biased, though! I do love my Dyna!!

Quick Reply: Differences between Dynas and Softail Standard/Night Train?