General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differences between Dynas and Softail Standard/Night Train?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 11:40 AM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Differences between Dynas and Softail Standard/Night Train?

Seems cut and dry to me... Dynas hangle better, Softies look better. I think it could be said that those of us with Dynas are a little silly because we should not be going after performance on a Harley in the first place, a stofty is deffinitally more of a Harley's Harley. That said, I think the Dyna is a great compromise, it's a solid platform upon which to build a nice fast Harley, if that's where you want to take it.

Stock IMHO, you will really have to push it to notice the performance differences (not the difference in quality of ride, they do have a different "feel").

I do have a question though... Is there any reason Harley couldn't/wouldn't build a rubber mounted softail? Is there something about that suspension that demands the counterbalance?

Old 10-31-2007, 11:58 AM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

herr monk quoteI do have a question though... Is there any reason Harley couldn't/wouldn't build a rubber mounted softail? Is there something about that suspension that demands the counterbalance?

From the way i understand it is thathow the rear swing arm and frame join together on the bike thetwisting stress that a rubbermounted engine would put on the pivot point will cause short life expectiancy of the components in the swing arm area..

Old 10-31-2007, 12:55 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have try to get my dyna motor on my road glide.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:01 PM
uesque
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: carpetride

FWIW...the original dyna was a touring frame with an XL (sportster for all you ignorant posers) front end.....jesus, get a clue...SOFTAILS RULE!!!! [sm=icon_beat.gif]
Three out of four Wild Hogs agree!

Oh, and the original "Dyna" was a stand alone design. The first Superglide was an FL frame with an XL front end, hence the FX. The Superglide II was the FXR, which also shared a frame(and still does) with the current touring bikes. The FXD was the first Dynaglide and was designed to replace the FXR because either Willie G. didn't like it for looking too Japanese, or it was too expensive to build the frame for a bike without the profit margin of the touring bikes, depending on which story you believe.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:24 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: uesque

FWIW...the original dyna was a touring frame with an XL (sportster for all you ignorant posers) front end.....jesus, get a clue...SOFTAILS RULE!!!! [sm=icon_beat.gif]

Oh, and the original "Dyna" was a stand alone design. The first Superglide was an FL frame with an XL front end, hence the FX. The Superglide II was the FXR, which also shared a frame(and still does) with the current touring bikes. The FXD was the first Dynaglide and was designed to replace the FXR because either Willie G. didn't like it for looking too Japanese, or it was too expensive to build the frame for a bike without the profit margin of the touring bikes, depending on which story you believe.
ok..so the dyna does use a modified sportster frame? figures....btw at least one of the hogs liked the dyna (or was that a sportster...oh hellwhat's the difference )[sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 10-31-2007, 01:33 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Thanks for the clarification! Apparently I'm a little dyslexic, but I could've sworn it had something to do with a cross between touring and XL parts!

Old 10-31-2007, 01:45 PM
riskyfool
Cruiser

Isn't the animosity and competition supposed to be Harley vs metric?

I don't understand all this bickering about which type of Harley is the better bike when everyone already knows its the dyna. But you still shouldn't be bashing other Harleys anyway. Save that for the metrics.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:09 PM
uesque
Tourer

ORIGINAL: uesque

ok..so the dyna does use a modified sportster frame? figures....btw at least one of the hogs liked the dyna (or was that a sportster...oh hellwhat's the difference )[sm=icon_rofl.gif]
OK, when I typed it, it was in English, and when I read it, it was in English, so my computer is OK. Anyone else have it translated into a totally different language? Or am I the only one who thinks that the Sportster is not an FL/touring bike?

Old 10-31-2007, 02:14 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will try air shock on my dyna. Then i can get soft lowrider

Old 10-31-2007, 02:50 PM
ken01976
Road Master

This guy here is the type that has to look at the pushrods to tell the difference between a sporty and a dyna. Sadly enough, he prolly has no clue what I'mtalking about.

Quick Reply: Differences between Dynas and Softail Standard/Night Train?