Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differences between Dynas and Softail Standard/Night Train?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 10:58 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Differences between Dynas and Softail Standard/Night Train?

i am not sure but i think the newer fxdwg do have a slightly bigger rake and ther rocker will top them both and if they do a trike it will probally beat them both. I d0nt want in the arguement so please if you quote me just agree or be nice

Old 10-31-2007, 12:52 AM
INDEPENDENTBIKEWORKS
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: grumpy irish again

glad I could help you and the wide glide is the front end on my softail and in 04 the softail std had the most rake if you want to be a smart *** be my guest and yes the duese has a streatched tank or maybe you have never seen one...
ORIGINAL: Baeseman1

ORIGINAL: grumpy irish again

dyna has no oil bag the obvious outboard shocks like any jap cruiser less rake and trail feels like the bike wants to fall over softail much better bike and as far as the top rpm who revs to max anyway my softy runs real good between 75 and 110 fast enough for me 40 thou on it so far.. 04 standard.. oh duese has a streached gas tank
Now it all makes perfect sense... Thanks for clearing that up! I thought it was gremlins that made my dyna want to fall over.

Since you are obviously an expert in the HD field, can you tell me what bike has more rake than a Wide Glide???

I'll be sure to check out the duese with it's streached gas tank. Douche bag...
Its spelled DEUCE

Old 10-31-2007, 01:45 AM
O6FXST
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't believe all this B.S. about how great the dynas are. Except for the Wide Glide they are all a bunch of overgrown Sportsters. I guess you have all forgot (or didn't even know)that back in the day, the Super Glide was a groundbreaking, big deal of a dramaticidea of putting a big iron motor in a beefed up sportster frame. Whoop te do!!

I love the new dyna mantra of "yeah they shake like crazy at idle but they smooth out at speed". I say " bull, they shake like crazy at idle and they vibrate like hell at speed".

I put my share of miles on aSuper Glide I owned years ago and I've ridden plenty of Dynas since, they are HDs and they are good bikes but they are also an old suspension system and there is no way I would trade my standard for one, includingthe WG. My standard is smooth from idle to 100mph and handles much better imo. Flame away brothers, flame away!

Rick

Old 10-31-2007, 02:36 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

ORIGINAL: O6FXST

I can't believe all this B.S. about how great the dynas are. Except for the Wide Glide they are all a bunch of overgrown Sportsters. I guess you have all forgot (or didn't even know)that back in the day, the Super Glide was a groundbreaking, big deal of a dramaticidea of putting a big iron motor in a beefed up sportster frame. Whoop te do!!

I love the new dyna mantra of "yeah they shake like crazy at idle but they smooth out at speed". I say " bull, they shake like crazy at idle and they vibrate like hell at speed".

I put my share of miles on aSuper Glide I owned years ago and I've ridden plenty of Dynas since, they are HDs and they are good bikes but they are also an old suspension system and there is no way I would trade my standard for one, includingthe WG. My standard is smooth from idle to 100mph and handles much better imo. Flame away brothers, flame away!

Rick
Uh...sure! So if your softtail is so smooth, either you put a progressive suspension in, or you spent way too much time in prison, and lost most of the sensation in your a$$!

As far as handling, there's no question that a Dyna, Sporty, or Touring bike handles better (it does tell us quite a bit about your riding ability though if you really believe that a softtail handles better). It's just geometry! Even sportbikes, while they have 'hidden' suspension, the direction and angle is closer to the Dyna's, just one in the middle instead of two outside the fender.

As far as your comment on the original SuperGlide, you are only partially correct. They also used the rear end of the Sporty, and the front end of a Touring bike if I recall correctly. Besides, that this isn't back in the day anymore. It's the age of the Twin Cam motor, which is worlds different from the old Pan and Shovel motors from back in the day!

Man, I haven't flamed someone in ages! Thanks for your permission! [sm=happybounce.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 10-31-2007, 06:57 AM
TowJam
Road Warrior

dyna has no oil bag the obvious outboard shocks like any jap cruiser ...
Check out this thread and tell me with a straight face that the Softail's suspension is superior. And by the way, the Dyna's oiling system is superior - more scavenging capacity and fully integrated oil lines.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:07 AM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Going by looks alone, I think the Softails look weird without the visible rear suspension. I much prefer seeing the shocks.

Don't mind me, though. Please proceed with your regularly scheduled "my dick is bigger than yours" arguments...

Chris

Old 10-31-2007, 07:08 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I can't believe all this B.S. about how great the dynas are. Except for the Wide Glide they are all a bunch of overgrown Sportsters.
Ok...and? I'll take that as a complimet as the Sportys handle way better and are quick. If you were looking for a cutdown you failed miserably.
Suuuuure. My Street Bob is smooth as hell at speed. No disrespect but you don't seem to have much knowledge of the current Dynas, maybe you should ride one before you give out misinformation.

ORIGINAL: O6FXSTFlame away brothers, flame away!
No need to. You kind of flamed yourself.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:50 AM
TowJam
Road Warrior

Please proceed with your regularly scheduled "my dick is bigger than yours" arguments...
Well, now that you mentioned it....

Old 10-31-2007, 09:29 AM
donk_316
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

This is easy. I bought the ST cause it looks like a rigid but its not...

And saying the Dyna wet sump is better than the ST dry sump is pure sillyness.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:52 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

FWIW...the original dyna was a touring frame with an XL (sportster for all you ignorant posers) front end.....jesus, get a clue...SOFTAILS RULE!!!! [sm=icon_beat.gif]

Quick Reply: Differences between Dynas and Softail Standard/Night Train?