General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding a Harley and skiing, e&

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007 | 03:09 PM
Herr Monk
|
Elite HDF Member
Default Riding a Harley and skiing, e&

I was just wondering what else in folks lives reminds them of riding a Harley, or at least the relationship has to the more "typical" version of the activity.

There are a few I can think of. For me the biggest other Harley-like ativity I do is telemark? Anyone else do this? It is to downhill skiing as riding a Harley is to Riding a Crotch Rocket. In telemarking, for those of you unfamiliar with telemarking, you ought to check it out: http://telemarktips.com/ . They are both old-school, hardcore and more rewarding because it takes more work to get into and good at. Both Harleys and telemarking are limited in their potential for speed and performance by physics (i.e. an aircooled V-twin and a metal cable for a binding can both only make you go so fast), it takes allot more skill, time and energy to get the performance where you really want it, but when you do it's many many times better and more rewarding than a plastic fantastic imitation. They both tend to have a large population of old guys with ZZ top beards, bear is never far away at the end of a run, and the goal is to get into the wilds away from it all, although every once in a while it's fun to hang in a crowded area and show-up the Aspen/BMW types, on your archaic technology.

Oh, and most importaintly the Chicks live love 'em both...

Any other activities you all engage in that are a result of that same part of your personality, to get away from crowds and the plastic fantastic of modern yuppiedom? I'm always looking for new ways to get places less efficiently

Old 10-29-2007 | 03:24 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Default RE: Riding a Harley and skiing, e&

I never thought of comparing motorcycling to another sport but now that you've brought it up I can definetly see a pattern. My other love in life was sailing. I did alot of cruising and one design racing. I guess that is one of the reasons I am passionate about "doing everything right" on the motorcycle. In sailboat racing you have to have your senses tuned to everything that's involvedin increasing the efficiency ofyour sails.

I do not intend to start a "noise" thread by saying the following but I think that might explain why I am one of those odd ***** that like quiet pipes. Just as in sailing, quiet lends itself to the solitude which is what I love about sailing and motorcycling.

Old 10-29-2007 | 03:40 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member

I don't like to ski but I really like wearing those stretchy pants.

As far as comparing riding to anything else I do, I'd have to say it compares to my furniture making. When I'm on a nice ride, I'm riding for several hours and it feels like only minutes. I can go out to the wood shop at 9:00 am and next thing I know, it's 4:00 pm.

Old 10-29-2007 | 03:56 PM
humpbackbob
Cruiser

There is not much protection, but when it is really, really cold.I have worn my one piece ski suit to ride. Looks a little colorful,bur nothing keeps you warm like a ski suit. Tried telemarking once. I'm too old for that workout. Still cross country sometimes though.

Old 10-29-2007 | 04:03 PM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member

I see the connection. Especially if telemarkers have endless discussions about assless ski suits, fingerless gloves, whether you're a real telemarker if you wear a warm jacket and is it gay to have a telemarking man ski close behind you in your tracks.

Old 10-29-2007 | 04:37 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member

Whoa!.....free-heeling is like riding a Harley?

That's an odd comparison.

I don't know a single pinhead who rides a Harley, and I know hundreds. (You obviously do, Herr Monk--first one I've heard of). Most drive 25-year old Subie wagons, with a black lab in the back and some old ice-climbing gear on the seat with crushed wasabi peas on the floor. I ski with quite a few "ridge hippies" and these guys are soooo mellow and real co-op types: granola-crunching, Nalgene-toting, hemp-underwear-sporting, vegan-jerkey-chering, neo-hippies. A few even ride bikes to the mountain/trailhead. I don't know a single one who would ride a motorcycle--harder to haul all your extra Backpacker's Pantry to the food bank for Thanksgiving.

Don't get me wrong. I make fun of everyone, especially myself. I was a collegiate racer who still skis like I think I'm racing and also skis AT (and XC). My backyard fence is made of old skis. I'm another type of ski town stereotype, always complaining about each year's
"freshman class," a man-child always talking about the old days before our hill was "discovered." But pinheads....

I ski with these guys and love sharing my homebrew with them, though I can only take so many 40-minute versions of "Dark Star" on the iPod-plugged stereo on any given day. The only two-wheeled vehicles they have for the most part are twenty-year old mountain bikes with $400 forks, and some PVC tubes for the skis

And your analogy (tele:alpine::HD:sport bikes) I don't think works. I've seen some pinheads shralp pretty hard, and I've seen plenty of (alpine) gapers in shiny new Volkls, or whatever, who can't snowplow out of a lift line, yet buy season passes every year.

Maybe BC skiing vs. park & pipe skiing....?

But if your general observation is on the experience and the rush....I see your point. For the way I ski, and the way I ride, the rush is different. But I love the feel of wind in my face and watching the ground speed by.

Whoever said that thing about stretch pants.....I guess you haven't skied since 1983.

Old 10-29-2007 | 04:40 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: fishheadsaid

I see the connection. Especially if telemarkers have endless discussions about assless ski suits, fingerless gloves, whether you're a real telemarker if you wear a warm jacket and is it gay to have a telemarking man ski close behind you in your tracks.
that's too funny

Old 10-29-2007 | 04:45 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member

Snowboarding. Skateboarding.

I am the old school, still got the boards, still use them.

Old 10-29-2007 | 07:46 PM
coop creek
Road Captain

motorcycling, skiing (just downhill, sorry) and, of all things R/C (radio control) airplane flying. The common thread for me is that I enterthisstate of relaxed concentration or focus with these activities. You just cant be thinking about other stuff while you're doing them or you'll get hurt (or crash an expensive model). And when you negotioate a turn just right, or have a good run down the slope, it feels good.

um, what's a pinhead??let me guess, its a biker who skiis and flys models.

Old 10-29-2007 | 09:00 PM
xlr8rtwisted
Cruiser

I can definetly see a direct connection between the way I used to ride and the way I used to downhill as well as the present.
My brother and I grew up on bikes as well as skis. We were the ones at the resort that everyone hated cause all we did was race
to the bottom on every run. Same way on bikes, we ran hard and careless everytime we went out. Now the bro and I traverse and enjoy
the veiw, stop and take breaks and warm up. Same on the bikes, we ride slower tho not slow and take in all the scenery. It's all about the ride
and shaking out the cobwebs.

Quick Reply: Riding a Harley and skiing, e&