General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding a Harley and skiing, e&

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007 | 01:38 PM
DYJ
Road Captain
Default RE: Riding a Harley and skiing, e&

Although it is a totally different world from riding the Harley, I do enjoy wheelin and wrenchin on my Jeep just as much....... Harley for the summer and the YJ for the winter fun.

Here's the YJ

Old 10-30-2007 | 04:44 PM
doggiedave
Road Master

My other sport is wakeboarding. noting like catching some phat air and doing a back flip, tantrum or some other inverted trick! What a rush!

Old 11-01-2007 | 08:51 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Herr Monk

I was just wondering what else in folks lives reminds them of riding a Harley, or at least the relationship has to the more "typical" version of the activity.

There are a few I can think of. For me the biggest other Harley-like ativity I do is telemark? Anyone else do this? It is to downhill skiing as riding a Harley is to Riding a Crotch Rocket. In telemarking, for those of you unfamiliar with telemarking, you ought to check it out: http://telemarktips.com/ . They are both old-school, hardcore and more rewarding because it takes more work to get into and good at. Both Harleys and telemarking are limited in their potential for speed and performance by physics (i.e. an aircooled V-twin and a metal cable for a binding can both only make you go so fast), it takes allot more skill, time and energy to get the performance where you really want it, but when you do it's many many times better and more rewarding than a plastic fantastic imitation. They both tend to have a large population of old guys with ZZ top beards, bear is never far away at the end of a run, and the goal is to get into the wilds away from it all, although every once in a while it's fun to hang in a crowded area and show-up the Aspen/BMW types, on your archaic technology.

Oh, and most importaintly the Chicks live love 'em both...

Any other activities you all engage in that are a result of that same part of your personality, to get away from crowds and the plastic fantastic of modern yuppiedom? I'm always looking for new ways to get places less efficiently

check out Tom Brown Jr-The Tracker

Old 11-01-2007 | 09:30 PM
pip369
Road Captain

Whoever said that thing about stretch pants.....I guess you haven't skied since 1983.
[/quote]

Naw man...On this stretch pants thing...I try to ski in Colorado at least once or twice a year. A year or so ago a pretty nice looking chick I was with broke out the old school stretch pants. She looked pretty good in them. An old dude on the slopes...probaly at least 60 was checking her out...he turned to his wife/lady he was with and he said quite loudly "I am glad to see the tights pants coming back". So beware they are still out there working..or er..looking pretty good.

Old 11-02-2007 | 05:38 AM
nidan
Road Warrior

I'd agree that skiing has a similar feel , without the rumble. I 've skiied for 41 years, Alpine and Nordic (raced both for many years and was on the National team in my youth) . The solitude and moving at speed through nature is a wonderful thing.