General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help from our Lady Riders

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 05:58 PM
Fla Glide
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help from our Lady Riders

Hey ladies my 18 yoa daughter asked me to help her get a bike she wants to ride her own. She asked for a Harley so how can I refuse ... She's 5'09 120 lbs so she can reach flat footed on most bikes.... What did you start out on. I have a friend that has a older Springer for sale in great shape and I am considering it. She is taking the safety course from Orlando Harley so that will be out of the way... But what bike should we look at from a ladies stand point... Thanks

Old 10-28-2007, 06:01 PM
tankerwyf
Banned Camp
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need some help from our Lady Riders

My current ride is the one I started out on. I say let her sit on several and make the choice which one feels right. I'm 5'8" so can pretty much put my feet flat on the ground on most any of them, too. Good luck to her as she learns to ride her own!

Old 10-28-2007, 06:08 PM
sugarbear
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife says sporty I would lean toward a deluxe hight is only one problem weight is another

Old 10-28-2007, 06:23 PM
Ugly Troll
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

5'4" wife started out on an old iron head Sporty, quickly "outgrew" that and went on to a Street Bob when they first hit the dealers........she has NO problem handling that bike, and has even ridden my EGC with no probs.........she should sit them all and see which one feels "right" to her.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:44 PM
Geoseismic
Road Captain

My wife went straight to the Deluxe. For some odd reason, the Deluxe is one of the best balanced and easiest HD's to ride. I have ridden her bike several times and can't believe how it feels compared to my Heritage. We discussed starting out with the Sporty and working her way up, but didn't want to waste the money on intermediate bikes. By the way, her first bike was a Honda Rebel 250. She would not let me sell it after we bought the Deluxe because she thought she would still ride it and work her way into the Deluxe. The Rebel hasn't been ridden since we brought the Deluxe home three months ago!!!

Old 10-28-2007, 06:54 PM
harleyxlc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I started on a sportster, but that was just because my only influence back then was my dad, and it had to be a harley

Honestly, I would say buy a used Honda Rebel for $1500. Have her ride it for a few months. Sell it for $1500. It is very light and easy to ride. Not only will she get better on an easier bike, but she will have a better understanding of riding and can make a better choice of which harley she wants.

If she insists on starting on a harley, the sporty seems like a good choice because it is the lightest and cheapest, but don't do it! It is still heavy with a higher seat height and a higher center of gravity.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:15 PM
dirtnap664
Road Warrior

I started out about 6 or 7 years ago with an 86 Lowrider. The Sportster looked too topheavy to me and I wasn't into it. My husband wanted me to start on a 250 Honda but I would have been all set with that after about a month. My buddy had the Lowrider and was selling it. The Lowrider was awesome and had no problem with it also being 5'9'. If you can get a good deal on the Springer I would say let her go for it.

You can learn to drive on a Porche. You don't have to use everything that it's got. If she's the least amount of coordinated, she should be all set.
Good luck!!

Old 10-28-2007, 08:21 PM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I started on a 750 Honda Shadow. That lasted about 3 months. Then I went to Sportster 1200C. That lasted about 1 1/2 years. Now I ride a Dyna Wideglide.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:36 PM
harleyxlc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: dirtnap664

You can learn to drive on a Porche. You don't have to use everything that it's got. If she's the least amount of coordinated, she should be all set.
Good luck!!
Well, I would never try on a Porshe, but in one yes, you can. But that doesn't mean it's the best idea to do that.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:49 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Wow...I guess 'ask and ye shall receive.' is right?
18 year old wanting a Harley.........she has a job...right?
Ask her what she can afford.
When I was 18 (few decades ago.....I wanted a 1972 Mustang Mach 1.......
needless to say....I never did get one and I thank my Dad for making me
get something different. (I would have ruined that car for sure!)
Set a price for a bike first.......get the payment plan down in writing......
what does she want a bike to do (Is she going to be touring the country? Bar hopping? What?)
To buy an 18 year old a $17K bike, in my opinion is stupid.........but then, I have a limited income.....
and my kid is not so bright.
I didn't start out on a Harley.....and even though I may have asked for the best and had to
find my own way to buy stuff....I turned out OK.
She would look HOT on a Deluxe though.

Chuck

Quick Reply: Need some help from our Lady Riders