General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smokey Mountain HD in Gatlinburg WTF

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 07:05 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts
Default RE: Smokey Mountain HD in Gatlinburg WTF

[quote] myxcape
While there we did the normal Harley dealer visits for T-Shirt souvenirs for us and our friends.
[quote]

You can always ask your freinds to pay you the 20%!

Old 10-29-2007, 08:04 AM
ultraultra
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, the HOG membership does NOT give us an automatic discount. It states that in the information they send you with the membership card.Any discount given for ANY reason is at the full discretion of EACH dealer.I have been in places that give a "HOG" discount, I've been in others that wouldn't give their MOTHER a discount. I get to chose where I spend my money, so they don't get my business.

The deal in Gatlinburg is that it's a tourist town. Just like all the sweatshirts and t-shirst... you pay more for them because of the "Gatlinburg" name. 've only been to this store once or twice, and I've always parked somewhere else and was looking at several shops. If they are charging for the parking, it's because parking is at a premium in the entire town. Some people would park there, and spend teh day shopping all over town, and people would have a hard time going into their store. They could expand the store, do away with the parking, and be like the other shops in the town.

I do like the dealership in Maryville.. VERY cool place. They have a place called "the Shed" for concerts, and about 2 acres of parking lot dedicated to a burn-out pit.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:12 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you had gone to Pigeon Forge you could park for free. I happen to park for free at the G'burg store, you do have to be creative. If you would have looked around at the tourist flyer racks, you would have seen a pamphlet for the store that gave you 10% off purchases. I happen to like the G'burg store and the people have been great. I don't live there but visit frequently when i stay in G'burg. I guess it must be a Southern Thang!

Old 10-29-2007, 09:26 AM
myxcape
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: biz44

ORIGINAL: myxcape

Don't get me wrong, I think that cops and firefighters should get a break for what they do for so little pay, but I also think they should honor the Harley family as well.Smokey Mountain Harley in downtown Gatlinburg, Tennessee [sm=WTFsgign.gif]
Why should they get a break. Nobody twisted their arm to go and sign on to the job. The starting salary is well known. They get a outstanding benefits package....that equates to cash in my book.

They know what the job entails, and how much they will be paid for their service long before they ever put pen to paper on the application.

Now the active military personal should get a discount if anyone!!!
I agree with you 100% about the military getting a break!

Old 10-29-2007, 09:33 AM
myxcape
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: ultraultra

Unfortunately, the HOG membership does NOT give us an automatic discount. It states that in the information they send you with the membership card.Any discount given for ANY reason is at the full discretion of EACH dealer.I have been in places that give a "HOG" discount, I've been in others that wouldn't give their MOTHER a discount. I get to chose where I spend my money, so they don't get my business.

The deal in Gatlinburg is that it's a tourist town. Just like all the sweatshirts and t-shirst... you pay more for them because of the "Gatlinburg" name. 've only been to this store once or twice, and I've always parked somewhere else and was looking at several shops. If they are charging for the parking, it's because parking is at a premium in the entire town. Some people would park there, and spend teh day shopping all over town, and people would have a hard time going into their store. They could expand the store, do away with the parking, and be like the other shops in the town.

I do like the dealership in Maryville.. VERY cool place. They have a place called "the Shed" for concerts, and about 2 acres of parking lot dedicated to a burn-out pit.
I understand about the HOG discount being selective. As I said, the only reason it rubbed us the wrong way was when she (sales clerk) decided to give 20% discount to an out of town cop because her husbands a cop, that's all.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:12 AM
jedsporty883
Tourer

If you're an out of town guest, I can see why you might go shopping in Gatlinburg.You will find that the new Pigeon Forge building is much better and it's worth the cruise over to Maryville to the main dealership. They really do a lot for the community. The first toy run was held yesterday for our area and it ended at SMH-D where there was music, food and plenty of fun. Gene Odom, who survived the Skynyrd plane crash was there. Also, we are HOG members and we have never gotten a discount for being a member. But we have a VIP card that gives us 10% percent off anything.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:13 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How many times do some of you need to be reminded that discounts are up to the dealer. Your HOG card does not "entitle" you to a discount.

Milwaukee Harley-Davidson does not give HOG national members a discount of any kind. This is Milwaukee WI, home of the MOCO.

They do give a 10 percent discount to members of the HOG chapter they sponsor.

Many dealers are now adopting a rewards type card. Anyone can get it but you can only redeem it for specified items at the issuing dealer. Fine if you live in the area but not so hot for travelers.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:22 PM
myxcape
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: AK_Hog_Herder

How many times do some of you need to be reminded that discounts are up to the dealer. Your HOG card does not "entitle" you to a discount.

Milwaukee Harley-Davidson does not give HOG national members a discount of any kind. This is Milwaukee WI, home of the MOCO.

They do give a 10 percent discount to members of the HOG chapter they sponsor.

Many dealers are now adopting a rewards type card. Anyone can get it but you can only redeem it for specified items at the issuing dealer. Fine if you live in the area but not so hot for travelers.

As I said. . .. It wasn't about the discount, I just thought I'd ask and see if they were one of the HD dealers thatgave HOG member discounts.
It was about the cops from out of town getting a discount because the sales clerks husband was a cop, that's it!!!
[sm=sleeping.gif]

Old 10-29-2007, 05:10 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

I'm not a member of HOG. Last time I was a member.....when I bought the Electra Glide in 1997 and HOG membership came with the bike.

I tried to get discounts then as a HOG member.....didn't happen anywhere. Every dealer said, "NO." I ended up letting it expire and never looked back. Roadside service was CRAP also.....they for some reason could not find Sunray, Texas on the map. They kept on insisting that Sunray did not exist!

As it is now.....I get better deals through Ebay auctions and the aftermarket. Most of the stuff I buy for my Harleys are bought online anymore. I can get stuff for less than what some buy from dealerships using a discount.

Even if you get a discount at a Harley dealer....it is still waaaaaay too much.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:01 PM
2BKFXDL
Road Master

I have been to HD dealerships all over this country and overseasas well. In my travels, Ihave found that there is no such thing as an "across the board" discount for HOG members.

Each dealership sets their discounts based upon their own criteria and individual dealer circumstances. Some do offer a HOG discount while others will only do a discount for their own chapter members or offerrewards based ontiered purchases.

I have been given a discount while in uniform [which always makes me uncomfortable] but that was simply thepolicy at the dealership I was in. Like I said, it varies from location to location.

Gatlinburg andevery businessthereis tourist dollar driven.

Complaining about not getting a HOG membership discount is no different than if I were to complainfornot getting a military discount or if that LEO you saw complainedabout not getting a cop discount.

Some do, some don't...some will, some won't. You take what you get, if anything at all.

Quick Reply: Smokey Mountain HD in Gatlinburg WTF